Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: vs ND- 75-68 Irish        (Topic#1991)
internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
Reg: 11-21-04
12-23-05 11:54 PM - Post#12374    

The Lions had a better shooting % (48 to 38) and outrebounded them by 2. So much for stats! and the 19-point spread. A key: 28-6 ND advantage in foul shots made. They had 45 opportunities to the Lions' 10.

19 fouls in the second half; lots in the first

Ben 15, Baumann 11 (on a bad night, fouled out at the end), Justin 17 (7 of 11) but he fouled out; Kravic 2, Mack 9, KJ no FGs
west coast fan

roarlion2 

Reg: 12-24-05
Re: vs ND-half
12-24-05 12:21 AM - Post#12375    
    In response to internetter

not sure why this game isn't on KCR . . .can barely hear it on SNR from my Nassau County home. This has to have hurt the audience . .just as well . . .the guys calling the game aren't that good, especially the play by play guy. KCR broadcasters are considerably better That said, impressive play by the Lions. If only they wouldn't foul so much!

TomPittsburgh 
maximus
TomPittsburgh
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA
Reg: 11-28-04
12-24-05 12:29 AM - Post#12376    
    In response to roarlion2

great performance so far

Howard Gensler 
Postdoc

12-24-05 04:21 AM - Post#12377    
    In response to TomPittsburgh

This looks like it would have been an interesting game to watch. Kudos to Columbia for competing with a decent Big East team on the road. It's clear that the Lions played with the Irish for most of the game but it's hard to determine some things from the box score.

Did the Lions gets hosed by the refs or are they just hacking away at their opponents? If I recall, fouing has been a problem in some other games.

Were the Lions playing killer first half defense or did Notre Dame just forget how to shoot? 6-15 from three for the Irish is decent, but 3-15 from two? 8-15 from the line? That's pretty bad. In the second half, ND was a weak 3-11 from three but made up for it by shooting 7-9 from inside the arc and 20-30 from the line?

Columbia's outside shooting meanwhile, went downhill. 2-4 from three in the first half, 0-9 in the second half. Did ND defend the perimeter better or were most of those misses late games heaves to try to get back in it? Columbia's 15-24 inside the arc in the second half is pretty impressive. Does anyone know what kind of D ND was playing?

My guess is that come Ivy time, teams will zone Columbia until they can start knocking down the three consistently. Although they'll probably zone Penn and Princeton also. Maybe every team but Brown.

Ancient Quaker 
Masters Student
Ancient Quaker
12-24-05 12:55 PM - Post#12378    
    In response to Howard Gensler

Inquirer blurb this morning says that Columbia outscored ND 44-16 "in the paint", however they define that, but attempted only 10 FT to ND's 45. Even acknowledging that Columbia has been foul-prone all year, it seems to me that the Lions had to have been hosed, at least partially. (At Notre Dame...never!) How do you score that many points inside and not draw fouls, while your opponent scores virtually nothing inside and lives on the line???

This would have been a great win for the league, as well as for the Lions, and it's a shame they couldn't pull it off. Playing five against eight is always tough.

Condor 
PhD Student

12-24-05 01:26 PM - Post#12379    
    In response to Ancient Quaker

Quote:

Inquirer blurb this morning says that Columbia outscored ND 44-16 "in the paint", however they define that, but attempted only 10 FT to ND's 45. Even acknowledging that Columbia has been foul-prone all year, it seems to me that the Lions had to have been hosed, at least partially. (At Notre Dame...never!) How do you score that many points inside and not draw fouls, while your opponent scores virtually nothing inside and lives on the line???

Refs will often let the big guys bang without calling fouls. Columbia got most of its points from its big men while ND got most of its points from its guard that I suspect were taking it to the hoop to draw fouls. I did not see the game, but I would not necessarily assume that Columbia was homered.

Regardless, it was a good effort by Columbia. How did they lose to Army?

internetter 
Postdoc

Loc: Los Angeles
12-24-05 04:39 PM - Post#12380    
    In response to Condor

Jones said he thought the refs did a good job and that the Lions were often out of position and did foul (see Recent Lion Wire stories in the Ft. Wayne and South bend papers)
west coast fan

theivyleague 

Reg: 12-22-05
12-24-05 08:37 PM - Post#12381    
    In response to internetter

Where did the Lions come from this year. They were picked to finish last in the league. It just goes to show how much preseason polls are worth. They may not win the league this year, but they are vastly improved from last year

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.011 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:25 AM