Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: mcnaughton v. hamilton        (Topic#2262)
npyoung35 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-24-06
01-28-06 03:42 PM - Post#14170    

Boxman often uses his blog to knock McNaughton, and last night he compared Chris to Kevin Hamilton, looking at their season statistics to justify Hamilton as the current PL Player of the Year. While I know that Hamilton is a great player for HC, I think he has oversimplified, to an extent, the comparison. Or I'm over complicating it. But regardless, here's how the numbers breakdown as of Wednesday's games: Naughty is averaging 27.8 min/game, 14.1 ppg, and 4.6 rpg. KHam is averaging 35.5, 17.2, and 5.8, respectively, giving him a pretty good advantage in those 3 categories. However, if you extend those statistics to a 40 minute game, you can see (unless my math is terrible) that Naughty is averaging 20.3 points and 6.6 rebounds per 40 minutes. KHam on the other hand is averaging 19.3 points and 6.5 rebounds per 40 minutes. When you also consider that Chris plays on, in my opinion, a more balanced team, his numbers look much more respectable.
I don't think that he is the PL Player of the Year right now, but I think he's a heck of alot better than Boxman makes him out to be.

boxman 

Re: mcnaughton v. hamilton
01-28-06 05:48 PM - Post#14171    
    In response to npyoung35

Let me clarify.

I only knock him because he's on Bucknell, and I think Hamilton deserves POY over him. As you can see, I would make him the runner-up. I'm not putting him down by any means. He's an excellent shooter and forces PL teams to change their game plans.

Maybe BU fans can answer this: Why doesn't he play more than 30 minutes a game? It might not be fair to extrapolate his numbers that much when he plays almost 10 minutes less than Hamilton (who's been sick this year and is still playing injured). And the rebound and block numbers are questionable. He has less blocks that Clifford AND Hyland. Not that it's a top-level stat, but he's the best big man in the league. I would think that his numbers should be higher.

Again, I take pleasure in knocking him since he plays for Bucknell. Both he and Hamilton are two of the best players in the PL since Adonal Foyle.
realboxman.blogspot.com - Holy Cross Fan Blog

npyoung35 
Sophomore

01-28-06 09:22 PM - Post#14172    
    In response to boxman

I don't deny that KHam has been a very valuable player, I just thought it was interesting to point out that Chris is more efficient with his minutes. If you had seen the BU-LU game on Wednesday, you might understand why Chris can't play 36 or 38 minutes every game. The refs quickly adopted a "no-maiming-no-foul" strategy, and literally let Lehigh hack away at the big man until he was bleeding from the nose. If KHam was taking that sort of beating day in and day out, he'd probably play closer to 30 min/game.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
01-30-06 12:14 AM - Post#14173    
    In response to npyoung35

honestly, it comes down to whether you are voting for the 'best player' or the 'most valuable' one. the patriot league calling the honor 'player of the year' gives us little information as to which way we should proceed. pretend for a second that we are playing 'fantasy' patriot league basketball. who would you pick first? mcnaughton or hamilton? i think most would agree that chris would be your best bet. thus, id say he is indeed most valuable. the 'best' player? id say most would agree its hamilton. its just that his advantage over olivero or lee or simmons isnt all that large, thus decreasing his relative value.

ladies (wishful thinking?) and gentlemen, it all comes down to how you want to frame the debate. the stats per minute numbere are interesting, though. big men just dont play 36 minutes per game. and with chris getting a lot more blowout bench time than kevin, the difference is exacerbated.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.077 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:25 PM