Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 12 of 13 « First<10111213
Username Post: Around the Patriot League 2019-20        (Topic#23164)
MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
02-27-20 04:46 PM - Post#301977    
    In response to Bison137

137, if a position opens in the Bucknell faculty teaching Probability and Statistic or Statistical Analysis, please apply - truly a great analysis of the Bison position going into the final weekend. In my less analytical style, I just say GO BISON, Go Leopards, go Mountain Hawks, go Cadets, and go Crusaders - just to cover all our bases.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
02-27-20 06:39 PM - Post#301979    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
One other note. Should the Bison beat Boston U, and Navy beat Lafayette, that would create a three-way tie for 5th. Navy would get the 5 seed since they swept the other two teams. But the Bison would prevail in the tiebreaker over LC for the 6 seed.

I'm wrong on that scenario. Navy would get the five seed, but LC would get the six due to its sweep of Colgate.

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
02-27-20 07:35 PM - Post#301984    
    In response to Bison137

This discussion reaffirms that my decision to be a liberal arts major was a good one.

MangyOne 
Freshman
MangyOne
Loc: Rochester, NY Metro Area
Reg: 12-28-09
02-28-20 12:27 PM - Post#302027    
    In response to bison75

No matter how you look at the various scenarios, one thing seems very likely - after we play Boston tomorrow, we are most likely to be playing them again in the tourney. If we finish 6th (only possible with a win Saturday), it is likely Boston would grab the 3rd seed and we would play them again. If we finish 7th, most scenarios find Boston finishing as a 2 seed. We would play Holy Cross in a play in game, and assuming a win (not necessarily going to happen, but if it does), we would play #2 seed, again Boston. If I were Nathan Davis, I would study Boston very, very hard the next few days. Again, we could possible end up facing American, but the stars would really have to align perfectly.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
02-29-20 01:07 PM - Post#302339    
    In response to MangyOne

Tournament seeding scenarios:
https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/2/28/patrio t-l...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
02-29-20 02:09 PM - Post#302350    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

It’s interesting that someone in the PL office has changed the way they do the tiebreaker, even though the actual rule was not changed. They say they are using a different interpretation now, but it would’ve been a lot smarter to actually re-write the rule.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-29-20 03:18 PM - Post#302361    
    In response to Bison137

As I understand it, we’ll be 7th seed unless Lafayette beats Navy AND Loyola beats Lehigh.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Around the Patriot League 2019-20
02-29-20 05:56 PM - Post#302383    

Last game of the day is Lehigh at Loyola at 5 ET. Lehigh win makes us the seventh seed hosting Holy Cross. A Lehigh loss and we are the eighth seed hosting Lehigh.

American is the 2 and Boston University is the 3.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
Re: Around the Patriot League 2019-20
02-29-20 06:53 PM - Post#302391    

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
Last game of the day is Lehigh at Loyola at 5 ET. Lehigh win makes us the seventh seed hosting Holy Cross. A Lehigh loss and we are the eighth seed hosting Lehigh.

American is the 2 and Boston University is the 3.

Kostecka is not playing. Any word on his status.

Lehigh up 41-32 at halftime.

NavyVoice 
Freshman

Reg: 02-12-18
03-02-20 08:43 AM - Post#302649    
    In response to jkrun80

Stepped on a players foot vs us on Wednesday.. If he plays, they might be the most dangerous 9-seed in any tournament

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-12-20 09:48 AM - Post#304380    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:
American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

Interesting. AU had already had one freshman recruit leave before serious practice even started. With the above departures, this means three of their four new scholarship recruits (Sorenson, Samore, and Bradley Nalley) have already left the team. None of the three who departed were great players, but it is a hit to their depth.

Since Mike Brennan took over (April 2012), American has an incredible rate of recruits leaving before completing four years. In addition to the three named above, others in recent years include Sam Iorio, Drew Lamont, Max Hoekstra, Nick Macarchuk (PWO), Delante Jones, Alex Paquin, Lonnie Rivera, Andrija Matic, Gabe Brown (PWO?), Paris Maragkos, Zach Elcano (injury?), Justice Montgomery, Kade Kager, and Jonathan Davis (academics).

Not clear if they hate Brennan or hate American, or both. But the transfer rate is WAY above that of any other PL school. Consider that since Bucknell brought in scholarship athletes in 2003, a grand total of two recruits (Show and O'Brien) have left before finishing four years.

AU has had two more players enter the transfer portal: starting center Mark Gasperini, a senior with a year of eligibility left, and wing Jacob Boonyasith, who was a starter for most of the year.

With the new transfers of Gasparini and Boonyasith, the story continues to get worse as far as transfers go. It’s amazing that Brennan has lost so many players. That’s at least 19 recruited players transferring out in less than eight years.

Edited by Bison137 on 03-12-20 09:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-31-20 01:14 AM - Post#305339    
    In response to Bison137

Lehigh's James Karnik enters the transfer portal. If he ends up leaving, that is a big loss for LU. My way-early All-PL team would have had him on the 2nd team for 2020-21. Might well have made 3rd team this year, had he not missed 10 PL games with an injury.

LU will still be strong at center with the return of rising junior 6-11 Nic Lynch, but they had been starting both of them down the stretch, to good effect. Karnik is clearly the better of the two.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
03-31-20 09:22 AM - Post#305361    
    In response to Bison137

Possible he graduated early? You would think he will get a number of schools with interest.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-31-20 09:56 AM - Post#305381    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
Possible he graduated early? You would think he will get a number of schools with interest.

It is possible - although Goodman's report didn't mention that he has immediate eligibility. The fans on the Lehigh message board didn't know it in any event.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
04-01-20 12:20 PM - Post#305475    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:
  • BisonRoadWarrior Said:
American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

Interesting. AU had already had one freshman recruit leave before serious practice even started. With the above departures, this means three of their four new scholarship recruits (Sorenson, Samore, and Bradley Nalley) have already left the team. None of the three who departed were great players, but it is a hit to their depth.

Since Mike Brennan took over (April 2012), American has an incredible rate of recruits leaving before completing four years. In addition to the three named above, others in recent years include Sam Iorio, Drew Lamont, Max Hoekstra, Nick Macarchuk (PWO), Delante Jones, Alex Paquin, Lonnie Rivera, Andrija Matic, Gabe Brown (PWO?), Paris Maragkos, Zach Elcano (injury?), Justice Montgomery, Kade Kager, and Jonathan Davis (academics).

Not clear if they hate Brennan or hate American, or both. But the transfer rate is WAY above that of any other PL school. Consider that since Bucknell brought in scholarship athletes in 2003, a grand total of two recruits (Show and O'Brien) have left before finishing four years.

AU has had two more players enter the transfer portal: starting center Mark Gasperini,

Gasperini is transferring to UMass

https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1 245384327...

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
04-05-20 08:12 PM - Post#305857    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

Ivanauskas is going to grad transfer.

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1 246947802...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-05-20 11:06 PM - Post#305865    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

Thanks. Not unexpected, as it appeared Colgate had already used his scholarship on one of their incoming frosh. Btw, Jordan Burns - who is a true junior - has put his name in for the NBA draft. However he has not hired an agent and is free to withdraw it again. Presumably he will go through whatever pre-draft evaluations occur and get an evaluation from NBA scouts. Then he will likely pull out of the draft and return to Colgate.

Without Ivanauskas and Rayman, but with Burns, I would think Colgate slots in about 3rd or 4th in a way-too-early Patriot League preseason prediction.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
04-13-20 07:21 PM - Post#306211    
    In response to Bison137

I just took a peak at the Holy Cross board. They seem pretty excited at a PF they just got a commitment from out of Canada. I don’t understand why Bucknell has stayed away from there in recent years. The patriot league has had a few pretty solid players come from Canada.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-14-20 10:25 AM - Post#306220    
    In response to bisonmania

• bisonmania Said:
I just took a peak at the Holy Cross board. They seem pretty excited at a PF they just got a commitment from out of Canada. I don’t understand why Bucknell has stayed away from there in recent years. The patriot league has had a few pretty solid players come from Canada.

Many on the HC board are always excited about any player who commits, so I would take that with a grain of salt. This player (Louth Coulibaly) is a 6-8 225 lb PF who may develop into a decent PL player. I would be very surprised if he turns into a star. Few mid-major players who are still available in mid-April of their senior year turn into stars.

His only reported offers were from Boston U (in July), Youngstown State (July), Delaware State (July), South Dakota (July), and Missouri-Kansas City (recently). Possibly a recent unconfirmed offer from Southern Illinois. The Boston U offer had been off the table since October.

I agree I'd like to see more recruiting activity in Canada (and Europe for that matter), but I don't see this as a big miss. A comparable for him at this point might be Malachi Rhodes, although my preference would be for Malachi. The Canadian PF I really would have liked to get is Sam Thomson, who ended up at Colgate. He had about two dozen offers, including one from Bucknell, in a short span at the end of his junior year. Thomson, like many Canadians, went to prep school in the U.S.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
04-14-20 10:37 AM - Post#306221    
    In response to Bison137

Holy Cross has perhaps set a PL record for roster turnover in less than 12 months. For those who haven't kept track, here are the changes:

LEFT:

- Drew Lowder, a very good freshman PG, left the team in early January and is transferring.
- Marlon Hargis, 6-7 soph PF who stared a number of games this year, is transferring.
- Blake Verbeek, a thin 6-10 sophomore center who started early in the year but then saw his minutes drop, transferring.
- Ciaran Sandy, a 6-7 freshman forward (possibly a walk-on) transferred to a Juco.
- Chris Lovisolo, a 6-10 soph walk-on, left the team in November and transferred to Union.
- Lincoln Yuetter, a soph walk-on CG, is transferring.
- Clayton Le Sann, a 6-4 scholarship SG who played 20 mpg in the PL season (partly due to HC having almost no bench), is graduating.
- Jacob Grandison, a 6-6 forward who started his first two years, transferred to Illinois last summer.
- Caleb Green, a 5-10 PG who started his first two years, transferred to Fairfield last summer.

So that is six or seven scholarship players who have left since last July. Plus HC wasn't at the full allotment of scholarships even before then. Thus HC added three scholarship players in the fall and has added four more this spring. The additions, with scholarship offers per Verbal Commits, are:

ADDED:

- Malcolm Townsell, a 6-5 SG, from State Fair Community College in western Missouri. Had an offer from Chicago State.
- RJ Johnson, a 6-1 PG from NC. No reported offers, although possibly one from App State.
- DaJion Humphrey, a 6-4 CG from Detroit. Had offers from Kent, Cleveland State, Lafayette, Brown, and Sam Houston.
- Bo Montgomery, 6-5 SG/SF from Tennessee. Had offers from Campbell, Howard, and SIUE.
- Judson Martindale, a 6-6 SF from Worcester Academy. Had offers from Bucknell, Vermont, Boston U, Iona, American, Bryant, Q'pac, UNCG, Brown, Fairfield, and others.
- Louth Coulibaly, a 6-8 PF from Canada. Had offers from UMKC, Boston, Youngstown, Delaware St, South Dakota, and possibly So. IL.
- Michael Rabinovich, a 6-10 center from Worcester Academy. Had offers from Lehigh, American, Boston U, Sacred Heart, Hartford, UNH, Brown, and UMBC.

Page 12 of 13 « First<10111213
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.164 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:29 AM