Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 3 of 13 « First<3456>» Last
Username Post: Around the Patriot League 2019-20        (Topic#23164)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-07-19 08:57 PM - Post#290282    
    In response to DoCtoR62

• DoCtoR62 Said:
Here is a youtube video of 1996 PL championship game. Boxscore listed attendance as 2236 for this game vs Holy Cross. Ted Bettencourt was starting PG for HC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvMR_A6p0j4

Thanks, interesting video. I can see 2236 fitting in before there were seatbacks with some standing room thrown in. Still have no idea how they could get anywhere close to 3100 however. I have a lot of doubts about that number.

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
11-08-19 12:43 PM - Post#290298    
    In response to Bison137

the Veteran's Classic at Navy is tonight. in prior years they have brought in some very big name schools. this year the opener features a couple of potential top 25 teams in Auburn and Davidson, but Navy only gets East Carolina as its opponent.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-08-19 01:04 PM - Post#290301    
    In response to KenZ

• KenZ Said:
the Veteran's Classic at Navy is tonight. in prior years they have brought in some very big name schools.

Since they started this, it's enabled them to get home games with Michigan State, Florida, Ohio State, Pitt, and Maryland. Not sure why they aren't playing a big-time team this year. In fact, the only strong team they play OOC is just before PL play starts when they play Virginia. if Virginia plays the starters a lot in that one, Navy is unlikely to score 40 points.

For those who didn't see it, Navy took DP's GMU team to OT in their first game before being blown out in OT by a barrage of threes and GMU offensive rebounds. The biggest factor in Navy getting to OT is that they got an incredible 20 offensive rebounds out of 40 opportunities. DeChellis is the only PL coach who sends players to the offensive glass, so Navy always leads the league in that category - but getting 50% is an extremely high pct. (PL average last year was about 28% in league play - lower if Navy is excluded.)

NavyVoice 
Freshman

Reg: 02-12-18
11-11-19 01:02 PM - Post#290591    
    In response to Bison137

Deeper conference schedules have hurt in some years.. Auburn 5th SEC team to play in the event... Every coach raves about the experience though so hopefully we will keep drawing P5's...

KenZ 
Postdoc
KenZ
11-11-19 03:40 PM - Post#290623    
    In response to NavyVoice

• NavyVoice Said:
Deeper conference schedules have hurt in some years.

reminded me to comment on the craziness of the ACC playing conference games on opening night. the 20 game conference schedules reduces the number of available guarantee games much less the likelihood of us common folk ever getting the p5 schools to visit.

NavyVoice 
Freshman

Reg: 02-12-18
11-12-19 11:18 AM - Post#290682    
    In response to KenZ

yeah, a lot of ACC had to do with programming needs for ACC Network also.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
11-12-19 07:20 PM - Post#290728    
    In response to NavyVoice

Philadelphia Biblical: Really Lehigh?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Around the Patriot League 2019-20
11-12-19 08:08 PM - Post#290733    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Although LU has refused to comment on the scheduling issues, I think I've figured out what is going on. A website has recently listed a so-called Sacramento Classic that was patch-worked together to allow some teams to play extra games under the guise of a multi-team event. Due to this format, LU gets to play 30 total games, instead of the normal limit of 29. They were eager to do this since they originally only had two home OOC games on the schedule.

This "tournament" apparently now consists of:

Sun., Nov. 10
Winthrop Eagles (Big South) at Fresno State Bulldogs (MW), 5 p.m. (MWN)

Mon., Nov. 11
Winthrop at Saint Mary’s Gaels (WCC), 9 p.m.

Tue., Nov. 12
Cairn (non-D1) at Lehigh Mountain Hawks (Patriot), 7 p.m.

Sat., Nov. 16
Mid-Atlantic Christian (non-D1) at Winthrop, 4 p.m.

Mon., Nov. 18
Misericordia (non-D1) at Lehigh, 7:30 p.m.

Wed., Nov 20
Fresno State vs. Saint Mary’s at Sacramento, 11 p.m. (ESPNU)

Sat., Nov. 23
Lehigh at Saint Mary’s, 8 p.m.

Mon., Nov. 25
Pfeiffer (non-D1) at Winthrop, 7 p.m.

- - - - -

One interesting thing is that this "tournament" never has two games played on the same day. Teams in the tournament play the following number of games: Winthrop 4, Lehigh 3, St. Mary's 3, Fresno State 2, Four different D3's 1 apiece. The eight games are played at five different sites in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and California.

Misericordia is treating this game with LU as an exhibition game. Cairn originally wasn't counting it either, but now it appears they have changed course. LU may have been a bit embarrassed charging its fans for games that the opposition isn't even treating as a real game. $9 for a seat to watch a game that doesn't even count for the opponent.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
Around the Patriot League 2019-20
11-12-19 10:45 PM - Post#290744    
    In response to Bison137

American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

The Nelson shot: https://twitter.com/auhoopspodcast/status /11944311...

Tweet about Brennan remark:
https://twitter.com/auhoopspodcast/status /11944370...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Re: Around the Patriot League 2019-20
11-13-19 12:09 AM - Post#290747    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

Misericordia is treating this game with LU as an exhibition game. Cairn originally wasn't counting it either, but now it appears they have changed course. LU may have been a bit embarrassed charging its fans for games that the opposition isn't even treating as a real game. $9 for a seat to watch a game that doesn't even count for the opponent.

Correction. Although Cairn wasn't noting it was an exhibition game on their updated schedule, I see they did treat it as an exhibition. So LU will play two games in a week against teams that aren't treating it as a real game.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-13-19 12:39 AM - Post#290748    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
American beat George Washington on a Sa'eed Nelson buzzerbeater. In a postgame press conference, American coach Mike Brennan said two players are no longer part of the program: Jack Sorensen and Kelton Samore.

Interesting. AU had already had one freshman recruit leave before serious practice even started. With the above departures, this means three of their four new scholarship recruits (Sorenson, Samore, and Bradley Nalley) have already left the team. None of the three who departed were great players, but it is a hit to their depth.

Since Mike Brennan took over (April 2012), American has an incredible rate of recruits leaving before completing four years. In addition to the three named above, others in recent years include Sam Iorio, Drew Lamont, Max Hoekstra, Nick Macarchuk (PWO), Delante Jones, Alex Paquin, Lonnie Rivera, Andrija Matic, Gabe Brown (PWO?), Paris Maragkos, Zach Elcano (injury?), Justice Montgomery, Kade Kager, and Jonathan Davis (academics).

Not clear if they hate Brennan or hate American, or both. But the transfer rate is WAY above that of any other PL school. Consider that since Bucknell brought in scholarship athletes in 2003, a grand total of two recruits (Show and O'Brien) have left before finishing four years.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-14-19 12:47 AM - Post#290927    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • Bison137 Said:

Correction. Although Cairn wasn't noting it was an exhibition game on their updated schedule, I see they did treat it as an exhibition. So LU will play two games in a week against teams that aren't treating it as a real game.

I may be wrong, but I do not think DII teams have the option to treat games vs DI teams as exhibitions. I think, from the DII team's perspective, they are Exhibitions. Period.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-14-19 01:34 AM - Post#290931    
    In response to bison63

After the Hofstra win, we have climbed from the mid 140's in Pomeroy to 131. Colgate otoh has dropped to 125. So what was a 30ish place difference between them and us is now a 6 place differential.

Having just watched them play Syracuse, here are some observations. This CU team had a chance to give Syracuse a good game, and maybe even sneak out with a win ala the Bison in 2005(?). They did not. CU is the deserved favorite to win the PL, and until somebody proves otherwise, they remain so. But watching them play Syracuse, I come away feeling they they are not nearly as athletic as we are, and if you contain Jordan Burns, as Syracuse did, they are not that scary (I am speaking of the same Jordan Burns that torched us for 35 last March).

Now I am writing this on a night when we really looked good against a good, but not great, mid major team, and CU looked very overmatched against a perennial strong P5 conference team, and I am mindful of the saying that "you never are as good as you look yada, yada, yada." But it does occur to me that when we next meet them they will not have a heckuva lot to show us, that we have not seen before, while we will have plenty new to show them. I am not counting my chickens, this is Colgate's league to lose, but the one major advantage I see them as having over us is experience (not to be underated), and by March, our team of kids that is just getting to know each oter now, will have whittled a lot off of CU's experience advantage. Like I say, the PL is their's to win or lose, but I like the potential I am seeing with our guys.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-14-19 10:31 AM - Post#290945    
    In response to bison63

Under NCAA bylaws, D2/D3 teams have the option to treat games with D1 teams as counting games or as exhibitions. As an example, look at Rosemont's schedule last year. They played Lafayette and treated it as a regular season game, with the result counting in their W-L record. Then the very next game, they played Hofstra and declared it an exhibition game (see where it says "Exhibition" just above the game result in the linked schedule), with the result not counting in their W-L record. Similarly, Susquehanna treated its game with Lafayette the year before as a regular season game, counted in its W-L record.

One more example: Lafayette plays Widener this season, and Widener is treating the game as a regular season game, with the result to be included in their W-L record. But the next game they play Penn, in a game clearly marked as an exhibition game.

Rosemont Schedule: https://rosemont-ravens.com/sports/mens-basketbal l...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-14-19 10:38 AM - Post#290947    
    In response to Bison137

It's very early, but the Pomeroy Rankings have already changed a bit for the PL, as have the predicted PL standings:

Colgate 13-5
Bucknell 12-6
Loyola MD 10-8
Boston University 9-9
Lehigh 9-9
American 9-9
Lafayette 9-9
Army 8-10
Navy 6-12
Holy Cross 5-13

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
11-14-19 12:32 PM - Post#290975    
    In response to Bison137

Boston lost badly at Vermont last night. Lafayette got a good win at Princeton.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-14-19 03:03 PM - Post#290998    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
Boston lost badly at Vermont last night. Lafayette got a good win at Princeton.

Boston U played Vermont evenly in most categories (rebounding, turnovers, 3-point shooting, and FT's). However Vermont hit 18-33 on twos, while Boston was 13-41. Had Boston hit the same pct as Vermont, they would theoretically have scored 18 more points in a game they lost by 15. Boston played a different UVM team than Bucknell did, as Anthony Lamb stayed out of foul trouble and logged 36 minutes.

As for Lafayette, their game was decided almost solely by 3-point accuracy. LC was 11-19 (58%) on threes, while Princeton was 8-29 (28%). Had Princeton hit the same spectacular pct as LC, then theoretically they win by 17 points. That is a common theme for O'Hanlon teams: live by the three, die by the three.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-14-19 04:55 PM - Post#291011    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Under NCAA bylaws, D2/D3 teams have the option to treat games with D1 teams as counting games or as exhibitions. As an example, look at Rosemont's schedule last year. They played Lafayette and treated it as a regular season game, with the result counting in their W-L record. Then the very next game, they played Hofstra and declared it an exhibition game (see where it says "Exhibition" just above the game result in the linked schedule), with the result not counting in their W-L record. Similarly, Susquehanna treated its game with Lafayette the year before as a regular season game, counted in its W-L record.

One more example: Lafayette plays Widener this season, and Widener is treating the game as a regular season game, with the result to be included in their W-L record. But the next game they play Penn, in a game clearly marked as an exhibition game.

Rosemont Schedule: https://rosemont-ravens.com/sports/mens-basketbal l...

Thanks for the clarification

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
11-18-19 10:08 PM - Post#291416    
    In response to bison63

Colgate is down 71-26 (not a typo) at Auburn early in the 2nd half. What an embarrassment to the PL. They are not looking like a championship team.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
11-18-19 10:13 PM - Post#291417    
    In response to jkrun80

Colgate is much better than that however. Just not showing it however as everything has gone down for Auburn who just may win the SEC RS this year. KU looked really human against Utah St

Page 3 of 13 « First<3456>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.284 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:27 AM