Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Matsui        (Topic#2351)
Lionized 
goober

Reg: 11-23-04
02-07-06 05:17 PM - Post#14907    

Lion King touched on this, but I'd like to ask for more
detailed comments. One place this team might get some juice is from Matsui's 3-pointer ability. Jones said he's a
lights-out 3-point shooter. I don't know all the context, etc., but in last loss, Matsui was in for 16 minutes and took exactly ONE shot. Shouldn't there be sets and screens
to free up a deadly three-point shooter? What am I missing (since I can't attend the games)?

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
Re: Matsui
02-07-06 09:03 PM - Post#14908    
    In response to Lionized

I watched him against Penn. On an open shot Matsui is deadly from three. He seems to have a lot of trouble with a hand in his face. Doesn't seem at all able to make his own shot either. So while he definitely has ability, there is a lot of work to be done for him.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
02-07-06 09:20 PM - Post#14909    
    In response to Red n Blue

"On an open shot Matsui is deadly from three. He seems to have a lot of trouble with a hand in his face. Doesn't seem at all able to make his own shot either."
-------------
I'll bet there are 25 guys in the ives about whom you could repeat those three sentences. If Matsui is going to stand out, he's going to have to do something about either sentence #2 or #3.

The Lion King 
Senior

Reg: 11-21-04
02-07-06 09:22 PM - Post#14910    
    In response to Red n Blue

According to the box score, he took no three-point shots in 14 minutes against Penn. But everyone has a hard time against the Quakers. I think 'nized's point was that Matsui is shooting 50% on threes in Ivy League play, while the rest of the team is shooting less than 30%, so they should run more plays for him instead of waiting for opposing defenses to leave him open. That seems like a decent idea to me, though it would also help if Cuff and Kravic, who have both shot threes well in past years, would return to form.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-07-06 10:23 PM - Post#14911    
    In response to Silver Maple

I don't think he has any more trouble than anyone else with a hand in his face. He squares up more quickly than almost anyone I've seen, so is great at catching and shooting. He's disciplined, so rarely takes bad shots. Yes, there should be more plays with screens set for him.

Red n Blue 
Masters Student
Red n Blue
Loc: South Jersey
Reg: 11-29-04
02-09-06 03:42 AM - Post#14912    
    In response to Silver Maple

Quote:

I'll bet there are 25 guys in the ives about whom you could repeat those three sentences. If Matsui is going to stand out, he's going to have to do something about either sentence #2 or #3.

I agree. But since Matsui is a freshman he has time to work on getting off a good shot under pressure. That was my point about him having work to do.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.207 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:28 AM