Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Evan Boudreaux Revisited        (Topic#23854)
Greenhorn 
Senior

Reg: 11-24-04
01-25-20 02:25 AM - Post#297351    

The Ex-Green has had a pretty miserable year for Purdue, enduring dwindling playing time (11 mins a game), and statistical declines across the board (3.2 ppg, 2.7 rb). Purdue has also struggled to a 10-9 record, and likely won't make the tournament.

Tonight, however, Boudreaux started and had his best game of the year, with 10 pts and 13 boards in a home win over Wisconsin.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
01-25-20 11:04 AM - Post#297361    
    In response to Greenhorn

Brendan Barry has also entered the transfer portal. But his situation is very different from EB's. I do not begrudge a guy who declines to exercise a medical fifth year and is ready to move on from Hanover after four years. He also gave the coaching staff plenty of time to plan for his replacement through recruiting.

Would be great if he changes his mind and stays at Dartmouth another season. But if not, then best of luck to him!

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-19-16
Evan Boudreaux Revisited
01-25-20 07:01 PM - Post#297431    
    In response to Go Green

Barry can't play another year at Dartmouth. My understanding of Ivy League rules is that you only have four years. Regardless of whether you play or not. That differs from his NCAA eligibility. Also, he can't play at another Ivy having exhausted his four student years.

Correction

Ivy League rules do not permit for a
Graduate Student to participate in
athletics. *
(Students who receive their degree in
under 8 semesters & still have
eligibility remaining may compete as
a graduate student at the same
institution.)

Athletes are expected to use their
4yrs or eligibility during the first 4
seasons, provided they are enrolled
full-time during the season.
-Athletes may have a season of
eligibility restored on the basis of
approval of a medical hardship or
non-participation waiver.
"...no excuses - only results!”

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 01-25-20 07:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-12-20 12:02 PM - Post#299672    
    In response to Go Green

Interesting conversation on Twitter about Ivy eligibility. Check out Mike James (@ivybball)

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-12-20 04:53 PM - Post#299730    
    In response to GoBigGreenBasketball

More information on Ivy League transferring.

is-ivy-league-transfer-po licy-helping-players-hurt ing-them

hoopla 
Masters Student

Reg: 08-28-12
02-12-20 06:43 PM - Post#299739    

Rai and Knight returning? Both could probably follow the Mitola, Boudreaux, Tape, Gettings template if they wanted.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

02-13-20 03:10 AM - Post#299784    
    In response to hoopla

Oh goodness no. Let's not even speculate like that. The program wouldn't recover for decades.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
02-13-20 06:21 PM - Post#299835    

• GoBigGreenBasketball Said:
Oh goodness no. Let's not even speculate like that. The program wouldn't recover for decades.

A bit of hyperbole there. But I'd agree that it would be bad if either of them left.

If they do chose to do so, I certainly hope that they make their intentions known sooner rather than later.

picknroll 
Freshman

Reg: 11-21-04
02-23-20 12:01 AM - Post#301467    

This quote from Ivy League executive director Robin Harris: "What's the problem with it?" she said. "We're still continuing to thrive as a league. ... I think we have to have an issue to fix."
Maybe I'm misreading it, but it strikes me as unduly callous in a "nobody cares what the coaches and players want" kind of way.

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

Evan Boudreaux Revisited
02-23-20 11:44 AM - Post#301507    
    In response to picknroll

It's up to the individual programs to create environments that retain players. The league can only do so much. Unfortunately I don't think many players grow up wishing to play Dartmouth basketball. It's more likely they want to go to an Ivy school and they want to play D1 basketball.

Everyone wants to play high major basketball. If they are capable and if they get the chance to they're likely not sticking with the program. Especially if they can get the degree early and have eligibility.

Harvard and Amaker get this. They run their program like a high major within their budget.

Oh and winning.... That matters too. All these guys come from winning high school programs. Nobody plays to lose. So if you're a guy like Boudreaux who had multiple offers and to better basketball schools, lack of winning will eat at you.

Edited by GoBigGreenBasketball on 02-23-20 11:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-28-20 11:23 PM - Post#302244    

There might be a significant obstacle to playing as a grad student at the same school--getting admitted. Many elite grad programs have a negative attitude toward accepting any undergraduates from the same school. (This is much less of an issue for MBAs, though.)

GoBigGreenBasketball 
Masters Student

03-06-20 12:43 PM - Post#303224    
    In response to SRP

"It does all go by fast. My first years at Dartmouth feel like a lifetime ago,'' said Boudreaux, who was a premier Ivy League player for two years before graduating early and transferring to Purdue. "It's been great here. Purdue feels like home to me, and I've loved my time here.

"If I had to do it all over, I would make the same decision again. The reasons why I wanted to come here were to win and be a part of something bigger. I've done that. I definitely wouldn't trade it in for anything.''

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.22 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:10 AM