Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 11 of 17 « First<11121314>» Last
Username Post: Fire ND!        (Topic#23900)
Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
Fire ND!
11-28-21 11:16 PM - Post#330067    
    In response to Scotty-14

• Scotty-14 Said:
This team is talented enough (Especially with the prospect of freshmen development) to be a top 3 finisher in PL Regular Season and reach a PL Tournament Championship (And at least not lose by 80).

no

Edited by Paulie777 on 11-28-21 11:16 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-28-21 11:55 PM - Post#330073    
    In response to Scotty-14

• Scotty-14 Said:
This team is talented enough (Especially with the prospect of freshmen development) to be a top 3 finisher in PL Regular Season and reach a PL Tournament Championship (And at least not lose by 80). If the above does not materialize, I will firmly be in the "Hire John Griffin" camp.

I very much doubt that scenario will not materialize. From what I’ve seen so far, I think 6th place is the ceiling. It would be nice to see John Griffin sitting on the bench. Not only is he a good coach, but he was the only member of the staff who cared about the fans.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
11-29-21 08:16 AM - Post#330079    
    In response to Bison137

If you doubt the scenario will not materialize, doesn't that mean that it will materialize? Lawyer double negative

bison63 
Postdoc

11-29-21 01:21 PM - Post#330100    
    In response to Bison54

Maybe we need a “ Fire JB” thread. The new transfer rules are not so hot for schools like Bucknell, especially if they don’t allow players who would otherwise be eligible, an additional year. Are ND’s hands tied to the point where he can’t effectively compete? How about Cecchini? Granted ND is no Pat Flannery in his emotive abilities, but why does a winning coach start losing. And please don’t anybody tell me that he did the same thing at RM, because that is not true. His last year there was his best record, 16-0 in conference and 28-3 overall. If it is an ND problem, I’m all for a change, but not because you don’t like his demeanor, unless you can establish that his demeanor, which hasn’t changed is the reason for the past few years performance. Yeah I’d rather a Flannery, or Paulson type too, but please someone explain to me why a winning coach, who was always able to get players he needed to remain a winning coach, all of a sudden can’t do that. Or Is it a case of the talent on hand not playing to their ability, which would be a coaching failure? But I do not think it’s that.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-29-21 01:42 PM - Post#330103    
    In response to bison63

ND inherited possibly the top group of players in PL history - Foulland, Z Thomas, S Brown, Mackenzie, Sestina, Haas, N Jones, D Hoffman, R Frazier, etc. Once he got his own players, the success ended. He was a mediocre bench coach when they were winning and he continues to be mediocre - at best. One example is three strategic errors in the final 40 seconds of regulation yesterday.

He is 21-32 since he got his own players. But what is scarier is that now that Bucknell has become a losing program, drawing crowds of 1200, it has become much harder to recruit and the quality is dropping. In two years, 2021-22 may look like the good old days.

bison63 
Postdoc

11-29-21 06:17 PM - Post#330137    
    In response to Bison137

Ok! Just trying to understand what happened? Is it ND, or does the admin have the Athletic Departments hands tied? I am not saying ND is not the problem, but wondering when he inherited a good group at RM, and then continued to win there with his recruits , why he is he not doing the same here. You 137 are often criticizing the admin for their athletic policies . I am asking, if maybe ND’s hands are tied in ways we do not know.( as well as the ways we DO know) And I’m done with this subject.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
Fire ND!
11-29-21 06:48 PM - Post#330142    
    In response to bison63

These "fire the coach" posts are funny enough to make you laugh, then cry at the crazy people who think the coach is the problem. After all is said and done, it's the players who win and lose games.

The most important part of coaching college basketball today is 1) recruiting followed closely by (the latest rage) 2) keeping the committed players who like to wander from school to school for greener pastures!

Latest Bison victim Sienna, had no less then TEN transfers on their squad from this season alone!

Nathan Davis will ultimately be judged on the quality of his recruits, as have previous coaches. Woolum, Flannery and Paulsen, who generally recruited very well. Unless Davis picks up the pace a little, he'll be gone, IF the new AD gets pressure from the assembled masses.

Davis has a tough act to follow with the NCAA appearances and the Muscala, Foulland, Thomas recruiting level. But he also has the advantage of a school, Bucknell, that is now known for winning as well as a safe place to send your kid to get a great IVY League quality education while playing a high level of basketball competition.

Let's see if he can rise to the occasion, beginning with this Soph and Frosh class?

Edited by candyfan on 11-29-21 06:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Re: Fire ND!
11-29-21 07:21 PM - Post#330143    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:
These "fire the coach" posts are funny enough to make you laugh, then cry at the crazy people who think the coach is the problem. After all is said and done, it's the players who win and lose games.

The most important part of coaching college basketball today is 1) recruiting followed closely by (the latest rage) 2) keeping the committed players who like to wander from school to school for greener pastures!

Latest Bison victim Sienna, had no less then TEN transfers on their squad from this season alone!

Nathan Davis will ultimately be judged on the quality of his recruits, as have previous coaches. Woolum, Flannery and Paulsen, who generally recruited very well. Unless Davis picks up the pace a little, he'll be gone, IF the new AD gets pressure from the assembled masses.

Davis has a tough act to follow with the NCAA appearances and the Muscala, Foulland, Thomas recruiting level. But he also has the advantage of a school, Bucknell, that is now known for winning as well as a safe place to send your kid to get a great IVY League quality education while playing a high level of basketball competition.

Let's see if he can rise to the occasion, beginning with this Soph and Frosh class?

We Bucknell alum spell it *Siena* Please, Candyfan, be more cognizant of the proper spelling of the, ahem, small Catholic schools. We Ivies need to be role models.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
11-29-21 07:57 PM - Post#330146    
    In response to Paulie777

Sorry, paulie777,

I took one of those sped reding cources but it just didn't help much!

I'm a fan, not a speler.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

11-29-21 08:42 PM - Post#330149    
    In response to candyfan

Candyfan,I'm just joking around. Bucknell as an Ivy? Not so sure about that though you did say Ivy quality education which is totally attainable at Bucknell if a student is motivated enough. Any After game videos this year? I always appreciated those.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
12-01-21 01:55 AM - Post#330231    
    In response to Paulie777

We have a scorer - Funk
An above average PG - Rice
Two effective Big Men - Tim + Screen
A Shooter - JVH
A reliable backup PG - Edmonds

We're shooting 43.5% from the floor, 34.8% from 3 and 80.6% from the FT line against competition far tougher than our league.

If you're telling me that isn't a roster capable of being a Top 3 finisher in PL play I'm not sure what league you think we play in.

The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-15-15
12-01-21 08:05 PM - Post#330278    
    In response to Scotty-14

Going by what Scotty has as his tops in categories. I would say this team compared to the past Bucknell teams couldn’t even beat the 2008/09 team. Which was DP first year at Bucknell and that team consisted of Shazier, Boon, and Cohen.

Funk should get 1000 points I would hope and I dont know who would get the next. I think we can all agree we want a winning program, but right now I’d trade ND for Brett Nelson and throw in a few coaches with it.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
Fire ND!
12-01-21 09:00 PM - Post#330315    
    In response to The Psycho of Sojka

Pollyanna Bison even knows Davis needs terminated. Immediately. This team is a trainwreck. Complete slop on both ends of the court.

Edited by HuskyColonial on 12-01-21 09:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

12-05-21 02:05 AM - Post#330661    
    In response to The Psycho of Sojka

I think we severely underestimate the talent we have. It's not a great wave for our standards, but our standards say our worst is still pretty damn good. I won't give my final opinion until the season is over because greater turnarounds have occurred; however, ND seems to have faults that only superstar players can mask...

1. He consistently "hockey subs"productive lineups so our runs turn into handing the opponent momentum on a silver platter.

2. Always seems to miss place a few guys. For example, Motta is clearly inferior to Adoh. Honestly, may be the worst player on the roster at this very moment. In other words, not a starter. He made similar mistakes shunning Spear and Ellis in the past and now we get to see Spear be the best player on(an admittedly poor) team. Timmerman also didn't learn to play basketball two weeks ago, and should have been given more chances to shine in the past. But we always have a guy like Motta to give every chance to, even though he looks like he belongs on a D3 floor.

3. ND has no ability to motivate. crappy half? We don't adjust and come back fired up in H2 like most good programs do almost inherently. Without vibrant leadership on the court, this leads to a stoic play style, which can less elegantly decay to a type of basketball the is about as inspiring as 6th grade girls CYO.

4. We have NO IDENTITY. Shooting - Defense - Gritty - Physical - Fast - Deliberate - Inside Out - Star Focussed.......NONE of these can describe what we bring on a nightly basis. Our identity has no roots, and thus our results are insanely variable. In game, game to game, all of it.

These are fundamental issues that are deeply frustrating to the fans and alumni who knew Bucknell as an unyielding power in the Patriot League and in the country at the Mid Major level.

bison63 
Postdoc

12-06-21 01:46 AM - Post#330706    
    In response to Scotty-14

Whatever ND’s faults maybe, IMO the misuse of Timmerman in the past is not one of them. The guy came in two years ago at close to three hundred pounds. Last year, while slimmed down some, he was still grossly overweight, and now the Bison had Screen, who was pretty much unstoppable in the PL by anyone but himself with his propensity for foul trouble.

This year Screen gets hurt and Timmerman has to play, and he makes the most of the opportunity. Good for him. Now the Bison have two effective big men at the 5, which makes me wonder what would happen if they were both on the floor at the same time. Just sayin.’

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-06-21 02:28 AM - Post#330709    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Whatever ND’s faults maybe, IMO the misuse of Timmerman in the past is not one of them. The guy came in two years ago at close to three hundred pounds. Last year, while slimmed down some, he was still grossly overweight, and now the Bison had Screen, who was pretty much unstoppable in the PL by anyone but himself with his propensity for foul trouble.

This year Screen gets hurt and Timmerman has to play, and he makes the most of the opportunity. Good for him. Now the Bison have two effective big men at the 5, which makes me wonder what would happen if they were both on the floor at the same time. Just sayin.’

Agree. Timmerman had only himself to blame for lack of playing time

As for playing them together much, I don’t see that working. Both are pure centers. I don’t think you’d want either putting the ball to the floor and dribbling around screens 20 feet from the basket. And I’ve never seen either of them shoot a jump shot off the dribble. Also it would likely be a problem defensively, since Bucknell does not play any zone. It would be hard for either to chase around a quick 6-7 forward 20 feet from the basket, maneuvering around screens or trying to stay in front of them on multiple crossover dribbles.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

12-06-21 10:28 PM - Post#330795    
    In response to Bison137

While Timmerman was certainly flirting with 300 pounds his first two seasons he is not exactly Slim now. I honestly don't think 290 vs 270 makes much difference in his play. I remember Timmerman playing very well against the likes of Rider and other his freshman year. Larger point is simply that I feel the wrong players seem to get the opportunity and the better players can tend to get summoned to the end of the bench.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
12-06-21 10:55 PM - Post#330799    
    In response to Scotty-14

I agree that Timmerman this year has earned playing time. But I don't think he deserved much the first two year. As a frosh, he was listed at 295 and was likely heavier. Now, fwiw, he shows up as 265. To my eye, I think the actual difference is at least 30. Some may recall that Timmerman, by his own admission, said he couldn't play as a high school soph when he weighed over 290. Then he dropped to 245 and turned into a legitimate D1 player.

I watched the Rider game, when Timmerman got minutes because Newman was not available. While he did score a few baskets, my own remembrance is a bit different, as I thought his weight and lack of quickness hurt him a lot. He only got one rebound in 22 minutes and struggled mightily to stay in front of his man. He managed to foul out in 22 minutes.

After Rider, he fouled out in 16 minutes vs Albany the next game. Again he appeared to be carrying too much weight to guard anyone. After that, he never got more than 10 minutes in a game and rarely played more than two minutes. Also for the year he committed close to eight fouls per 40 minutes. This year he is committing about three fouls per 40, and I think his footwork is much quicker.

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

12-06-21 11:03 PM - Post#330801    
    In response to Bison137

Motta shouldn't get PT. That's all I want right now

Paulie777 
PhD Student

12-07-21 12:25 AM - Post#330804    
    In response to Scotty-14

My crystal ball has us losing to both Princeton and Lasalle. We should beat Lasalle handily but for all the reasons Scotty mentioned, poorly timed mass substitutions, wrong players playing at the wrong times, etc, we will not pull it off. Play five starters with minimal substitutions (except for center) and we beat Lasalle easily. Why make games more difficult than they have to be? We can play the way we do if we had patriot league POYs playing but right now we don't have the firepower for the plan. Change the plan.

Page 11 of 17 « First<11121314>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.248 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:12 PM