Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Username Post: Some Other Perspectives        (Topic#23907)
atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-04-20 01:07 PM - Post#298536    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
I really can’t believe there is a strong chance we have no home playoff game. Just unimaginable at Bucknell.

But #7 & #8 both host first round games
Ray Bucknell!

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
02-04-20 04:14 PM - Post#298543    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
With two strong recruits coming in and plenty of talent coming back, next year looks to be better on paper. If it isn't, then there is a systemic issue.

jkrun80, I agree with you about next year looking better on paper.

I said it before, and I will say it again. Time to start playing the Freshman and Sophomores more. The Seniors had their chance.

I think that firing Coach Davis is probably premature. He has a proven track record and understands what it is like to coach at and recruit to a school like Bucknell. On the other hand, if this losing continues for another season, it is probably time to move on.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-04-20 04:37 PM - Post#298544    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
  • jkrun80 Said:
With two strong recruits coming in and plenty of talent coming back, next year looks to be better on paper. If it isn't, then there is a systemic issue.

I said it before, and I will say it again. Time to start playing the Freshman and Sophomores more. The Seniors had their chance.

I think that firing Coach Davis is probably premature. He has a proven track record and understands what it is like to coach at and recruit to a school like Bucknell. On the other hand, if this losing continues for another season, it is probably time to move on.

Something doesn’t seem logical. On paper, this team is better with two incoming freshmen than with two seniors who are basically 3-year starters? I’m not necessarily disagreeing with full voice, but what does that say?

DrBison 
Junior

Reg: 12-22-08
02-04-20 05:22 PM - Post#298549    
    In response to MrPhillie

It simply says they’re having a down year. These guys are human, and some times things just don’t work out, people don’t improve as projected, etc... It’s absolutely not from lack of effort, desire, or commitment. And the frustration builds for all. We have been due for a down year and hopefully things will improve and turn around ASAP!

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
02-04-20 06:30 PM - Post#298557    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
  • Bison89 Said:
  • jkrun80 Said:

Something doesn’t seem logical. On paper, this team is better with two incoming freshmen than with two seniors who are basically 3-year starters? I’m not necessarily disagreeing with full voice, but what does that say?

"What does that say?" That is a valid question.

For whatever reason, I do not think that Moore and Toomer, who should be the team leaders at this point, have significantly improved since Sophomore year. Where we expected them to step up their Senior year, they really have not. IMO, they both have tons of talent and potential but are hamperd by foul trouble. Also, they are both inconsistent, streaky shooters. They seem to score 15-20 one game and 5-10 the next 2 or 3 games.

Is it lack coaching? Is it lack of motivation? Is it both or something else? I just don't know. I just know that it is.

Ultimately, I know that they try hard every night, but the team's record shows that it is time to move on to younger players.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
02-04-20 11:07 PM - Post#298572    
    In response to Bison89

• Old Bison Said:
If the guy that runs the Board has any class at all that’s what he should do.

Maybe, but the notion that the administrator is actively supervising this board is as fanciful as the administrator's assurances that the board would be updated and enhanced.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-05-20 02:17 PM - Post#298617    
    In response to jkrun80

• jkrun80 Said:
I was one who advocated for hiring Fischer. But at the time, I thought hiring Davis was an equally good choice. I am willing to be patient and see if this season is an aberration. You could argue we could just as easily be 8-3 - but we're not. With two strong recruits coming in and plenty of talent coming back, next year looks to be better on paper. If it isn't, then there is a systemic issue.

Agree 100%. I too wanted Fischer, but was happy w/ND. You may recall Hardt passed over Davis when he hired Paulsen, because at the time ND had no head coach experience. That was the same reason he passed on Fischer.

How about this to the Psycho of Sojka. Let’ s suppose Davis is fired. Would it not be reasonable in that circumstance to think that Screen and Deuce might opt out? Then where would we be? I’ll stick with Davis.

scorekeeper 
Freshman

Reg: 01-11-12
02-05-20 02:46 PM - Post#298627    
    In response to bison63

One can certainly decipher about when some of these posters started following Bucknell Basketball. Unless you had a family member coaching, or were an alumnus of the school,
a lot of these things go in cycles. You got to
take the down years with the good. You also
need to know the recruitment issues involving
the players and coaches, as stated above.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
02-05-20 03:04 PM - Post#298630    
    In response to scorekeeper

• scorekeeper Said:
One can certainly decipher about when some of these posters started following Bucknell Basketball. Unless you had a family member coaching, or were an alumnus of the school, a lot of these things go in cycles. You got to take the down years with the good. You also need to know the recruitment issues involving the players and coaches, as stated above.

scorekeep, good point. After so many years of success, yes, a down year probably should have been expected to happen sometime. I think that people are concerned that the players do not appear to be improving from year to year. In addition, within this year, the team appears to be regressing. Does this point to poor coaching? I'll leave it to others to decide.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
02-05-20 06:11 PM - Post#298655    
    In response to Bison89

I don’t think it is for us to decide, after all, we have no seat at the decision-making table at Bucknell. I think, however, we can have an opinion. Seems that since certain points were brought up regarding player/team regression, opinions are obviously held. To those points, I do put most of that blame on the coaching staff..not just Davis...the entire staff. I don’t know what they do at practices and film sessions, but during games it doesn’t appear much is happening.

I’d love to see and hear some fire from coaches and players when things aren’t going well. Show some passion. I don’t want to see wry smiles by a player when he walks to the bench when losing by 10-12. I don’t want to see defeated body language when things are tough. I don’t want to see goofing around before or during games, particularly when your team is performing poorly. I don’t want to see players smiling while watching video boards while the coach is talking in a huddle. Mistakes will be made and shots will be missed on the court. That’s basketball. These other things are things that are more controllable.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-06-20 01:11 PM - Post#298704    
    In response to MrPhillie

• Old Bison Said:
If the topic has a 0% chance of occurring than why post? Culture is not easy to create but it is easy to destroy. To anyone disaffected it gives license to being more disaffected.

Old Bison has perfectly crystallized why I can't stand that other thread.

Calling in mid-season for Bucknell to fire a two-time league coach of the year with a string of regular season championships for anything other than misconduct is worse than pointless -- it's toxic to the season at hand and detrimental to the program.

It reminds me of a misguided malcontent here who, during the Paulsen era, urged fans to boycott games. "We have to destroy the village to save it."

res 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-21-06
02-06-20 01:58 PM - Post#298714    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

That's easy for you to say, brw, you don't have a tenth of the passion for the program that these other guys have. I mean, when's the last time you've been to a game?

Old Bison 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-09-17
02-06-20 02:15 PM - Post#298718    
    In response to res

BRW - Thank you! You get today's Mitt Romney trophy for upstanding character. If only you could get your hair like Romney's (and he's 72). Also, I agree with Res...just because the Army game started at 11 a.m. doesn't mean you get a pass. Road warrior my butt. In high school we use to label such weak effort as "candy butt"!

Old Bison 
Masters Student

02-06-20 04:19 PM - Post#298735    
    In response to Old Bison

Doesn’t real sound as good calling someone “candy butt”

Let me try “CandyAss”...”Candy A.S.S”

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
02-06-20 05:07 PM - Post#298739    
    In response to Old Bison

• Old Bison Said:
BRW - Thank you! You get today's Mitt Romney trophy for upstanding character. If only you could get your hair like Romney's (and he's 72). Also, I agree with Res...just because the Army game started at 11 a.m. doesn't mean you get a pass. Road warrior my butt. In high school we use to label such weak effort as "candy butt"!

BRW with salt-n-pepper died black hair just doesn't seem right.

bison234 
Sophomore

Reg: 06-04-08
02-07-20 09:16 AM - Post#298765    
    In response to Bison89

And that would make BRW much harder to pick out in the stands during games!

The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-15-15
02-07-20 10:00 AM - Post#298774    
    In response to bison63

Looking at it in only one perspective is not a feasible solution. Could they decommit if Davis is fired, of course they could. Could they also decommit for seeing how terrible everything is going this year, of course they could. Both happen all the time in all college sports.

Old Bison 
Masters Student

02-07-20 07:32 PM - Post#298883    
    In response to The Psycho of Sojka

Oy Vey

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
02-08-20 10:53 AM - Post#298963    
    In response to Old Bison

Most incoming recruits to an established program that is having a down season probably are excited about the prospect of immediately contributing. They should feel that way too. The cupboard isn't bare but 3/4's of it are being filled up by Timmerman.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
02-08-20 12:50 PM - Post#298975    
    In response to res

• res Said:
That's easy for you to say, brw, you don't have a tenth of the passion for the program that these other guys have. I mean, when's the last time you've been to a game?

You're right, res. I'll try to do better reeeaaaaal soon.

Page 2 of 3 ALL<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.381 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:30 PM