Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Bucknell Switches to Remote Learning        (Topic#24141)
BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-10-20 06:10 PM - Post#304088    

Letter from President Bravman:

Dear Students, Faculty, Staff and Families,
As I have shared with you in my previous emails, we continue to monitor the evolving public health situation related to coronavirus (COVID-19). Like you, I have seen the reports of the virus spreading across the globe and the US, including Pennsylvania. And like you, I have been concerned about the potential impact it will have on the health and safety of our students, faculty and staff.
To that end, University leadership and I have made the decision to transition to a remote education mode for the remainder of the semester. To prepare for that, classes are cancelled Monday, March 16, through Wednesday, March 18, so that faculty and staff can plan for delivering remote educational activities. Classes will resume on Thursday, March 19.
While I realize this decision will immediately raise a large number of questions and concerns, including those related to Commencement, I would respectfully ask you to hold your individual inquiries as we continue to navigate this complex situation. Decisions on a range of issues are pending and will be addressed serially.
As the situation and our response to it continues to unfold, you will receive regular updates from me and/or other University leaders with more specific details.
This has not been an easy decision to make, and I understand how challenging it will be for our campus community. However, I strongly believe that faced with such uncertainty, we have no choice but to pursue these actions. Bucknell has always been a community that comes together in the face of adversity. This is one of those times, and I am counting on your patience and assistance as we work through it together.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-10-20 06:39 PM - Post#304090    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Interesting to watch the responses to Bucknell’s announcement on Twitter.

For example, this from a Bucknell wrestler:
“So like what happens with my tuition, dinning costs, and pretty much everything else my $75k goes towards my senior year?”

https://twitter.com/bucknellu/status/1237 482651969...

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
03-10-20 07:54 PM - Post#304106    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Spring sports will proceed as scheduled, as of right now. Spring athletes are being allowed to return to campus. Out of season sports such as football are not, however.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
03-10-20 09:21 PM - Post#304120    
    In response to jkrun80

More voluminous responses on the university’s Facebook page; the vast majority are angry.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
Bucknell Switches to Remote Learning
03-10-20 11:07 PM - Post#304145    
    In response to jkrun80

What about students where the curriculum requires special equipment, like science and engineering labs, or students involved in performing arts, visual arts? I'm sure there are more cases where its not just about the classroom and distance learning leaves a big gap.

Also, what happens with staff that prepares food, cleans buildings and the like? Do they lose their incomes?

The price of panic.

jkrun80 
Postdoc

Reg: 05-07-12
Re: Bucknell Switches to Remote Learning
03-11-20 07:24 AM - Post#304155    
    In response to Bison54

• Bison54 Said:
What about students where the curriculum requires special equipment, like science and engineering labs, or students involved in performing arts, visual arts? I'm sure there are more cases where its not just about the classroom and distance learning leaves a big gap.

Also, what happens with staff that prepares food, cleans buildings and the like? Do they lose their incomes?

The price of panic.

University staff are still working full time for the foreseeable future. With athletes staying on campus dining service will still be in operation, but probably with reduced hours. I would guess that will mean reduced hours for their employees. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.

RichH 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-30-12
03-12-20 11:08 AM - Post#304393    
    In response to jkrun80

Council has decided. All Spring sports are cancelled. No Spring practice. Winter sports can finish schedules

RichH 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-30-12
03-12-20 11:12 AM - Post#304394    
    In response to RichH

Council has decided. All Spring sports are cancelled. No Spring practice. Winter sports can finish schedules

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.4 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:09 AM