Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Lineup        (Topic#24298)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
04-27-20 10:54 PM - Post#306711    

Is it me or is this not a bad little lineup they’ll have.

Frontcourt of Choh and Gainey? Is that not one of the top frontcourts in the league?

Backcourt, Friday will certainly play. Not sure if he is your point guard or off the ball. I expect Meren to start. So for your 5th you’re either looking at Perry as your bomber, or I wonder if Zach Taylor will be ready to run the point.

Expect Mitchell and DeWolf to be in your mix, you need one other guard who can come off your bench, and you’ve got a rotation.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: Lineup
04-28-20 12:29 AM - Post#306712    
    In response to Bruno

Brown ended the season starting Choh, Gainey, and Mitchell together. So all three could start again, I would think.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
04-28-20 07:45 AM - Post#306714    
    In response to SomeGuy

I’d expect Moses and Taylor both to play a lot.

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-28-20 08:26 AM - Post#306717    
    In response to mrjames

Moses may be good enough to get some time. But it’s a fairly crowded rotation in the frontcourt as I expect DeWolf to get priority over Moses off the bench.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Lineup
04-28-20 09:58 AM - Post#306726    
    In response to Bruno

Cowan will see a lot of time, he is an excellent defender, and his scoring will improve. I assume that he is the Perry that Bruno referred to, not EJ.

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-28-20 12:30 PM - Post#306740    
    In response to Old Bear

Yes I meant EJ Perry throwing bombs in the fall and Perry Cowan hitting bombs from well-beyond three in the winter.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
04-28-20 01:21 PM - Post#306745    
    In response to Old Bear

The mix will be different with Hunsaker and Anderson gone. Brown finished the season playing Choh, Gainey, and Mitchell together extensively. That was made possible in part because the two guards handled and shot well from 3.

It seems like it may be necessary to do so again, because Gainey and Mitchell are the only returnees with decent ORATs. Moses at NMH seemed similar to Gainey offensively— a good low volume finisher with an extremely high shooting percentage on limited shots. Not sure he adds anything all that different from what is already present.

Friday seemed to be ahead all last year in the rotation at guard, but he will need to be much more efficient if he is going to start next year. There seems to me to be a bigger opportunity in the backcourt than the front for Brown. I could see Meren and Taylor both playing extensively. I also think the ball may be in Choh’s hands rather than a more traditional point.

Bruno 
PhD Student

04-28-20 02:18 PM - Post#306754    
    In response to SomeGuy

Neither starting guard was a great 3 point shooter last year; Anderson had a good run from deep early, while Hunsaker caught some fire late and shot well in the Ivy.

Agree Friday will have to become more efficient. Worked his way inside out of control a lot, forcing a lot of off balance shots. Has to improve his decision making and shooting, although he showed he can hit the three a little. But he has a really unique game and it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up as a leading scorer next year. He's offensively relentless and his combination of strength-and-quickness is unique in the league. He'll play.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Lineup
05-04-20 09:59 PM - Post#306994    
    In response to Bruno

My starting lineup would be Friday, Cowan, Choh, Gainey, and Meren. That may be the Bears best offensive lineup and they should be decent defensively. And as someone else mentioned, Choh may handle the ball as he did this year, and distribute along with Friday. But they may have trouble keeping pace with quicker guards. Mitchell and DeWolf are the only others who played significant minutes. Mitchell may be first off the bench and bring an element of D. DeWolf seemed to regress a bit last year and has never exhibited much offense. Out of a core 10 players, I expect the top three freshmen to challenge for big minutes. Taylor will add an element of speed to the backcourt, while Moses may offer more offense than DeWolf.

The freshmen I think will make the most impact is Ndur. I was impressed when I saw him at a prep tourney at Rhode Island College in early Feb. He displayed good versatility by hitting a couple of threes and also going inside for a couple of nice jump hooks in the lane. He even got ahead of the pack and threw down a nice jam. There were four guard type players on his team who controlled the ball most of the time. But he was very efficient when he had opportunities and showed the maturity to let the play and flow of the game come to him and did not force his offense. He was offered by David Cox at URI, which says a lot. Cox has done an excellent job bringing talent to Kingston after taking over from Danny Hurley. He just has trouble keeping them at URI lately. I also recall reading that Ndur has only focused solely on basketball the last three years. So he has a great upside potential. He is an active big body who is vocal on D, shows a decent shooting touch and footwork on O. I’m looking forward to watching him develop the next few years.

Edited by JBears on 05-04-20 10:02 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.253 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:51 AM