Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 4 of 26 « First<4567>» Last
Username Post: New 2021 Recruiting Thread        (Topic#24423)
AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
06-23-20 04:48 PM - Post#309466    
    In response to Quake Show

Correct. We don’t have to beat Harvard in head to heads to beat them on the court.

And - it’s not like Yale and Princeton have beaten us with a team loaded with top 250 recruits.

There is pressure to secure more front court talent this year. That’s an obvious need after last year’s misses. But - Brodeur, Simmons, Wang and Lorca were all the bigs we targeted their years. But with A J gone we clearly need to get lucky and avoid injuries this year.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-23-20 04:50 PM - Post#309467    
    In response to palestra38

This is the NEW thread. Let's talk mostly about players here.

Start a separate institutional advantages thread, Palestra38 so that we can have a thread to just search players. Of course FA will come up in this thread, but let's have the debates somewhere else? It really is nice to have a simple thread when we want to refer to old recruiting news.

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
06-23-20 04:51 PM - Post#309468    
    In response to palestra38

There are a lot of great things to be said about the 2019 class, and they will certainly be a great foundation. I think the issue is, though, that because of missed classes we’re going to have depth issues at certain key positions (the five). For a sustained run through OOC and the league, having another year with a depth chart of 7-8 (hopefully more) is going to be hard.

LocalTiger 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-15-17
06-23-20 04:55 PM - Post#309469    
    In response to AsiaSunset

A very odd discussion. The assumption seems to be
Penn is at a resource disadvantage, at least as to
Harvard, and maybe HYP, I. recruiting.
There was a thread on the League board
a while back with actual data showing Penn's
MBB budget was the highest in the Ivies by
about 30 percent.
Hard to argue Harvard has not won the recruiting
wars in the Ammaker years, but Penn cannot claim
it did not have the resources to compete.

palestra38 
Professor

06-23-20 05:07 PM - Post#309471    

I think you are containing within the "misses" the injuries. We had some really good players in the 2021 class that got hurt and Jelani in the 2020 class. Contrary to what some people think, I am not a pessimist, nor did I bring up the subject here of why we are missing on recruits. I think we have a chance to be really good this year. Everything has to come together, but with pretty much everyone but Yale somewhat of a question, I feel pretty good about the upcoming season, assuming it gets played.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
06-23-20 05:07 PM - Post#309472    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
It was a constraint imposed by our President who nixed a plan to put a high salary coach in place, a transaction that was all but done.

What is the name of this high salary coach?

palestra38 
Professor

06-23-20 05:08 PM - Post#309473    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

Fran McCaffrey

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
06-23-20 05:24 PM - Post#309475    
    In response to Penndemonium

• Penndemonium Said:
This is the NEW thread. Let's talk mostly about players here.

Start a separate institutional advantages thread, Palestra38 so that we can have a thread to just search players. Of course FA will come up in this thread, but let's have the debates somewhere else? It really is nice to have a simple thread when we want to refer to old recruiting news.

Seriously, please create another thread to focus on defeatist attitudes there and not jack this thread up any more.

Despite the fact that I completely disagree with those opinions being thrown around as hard facts, I'd rather keep this to the actual recruiting, player details, etc.

Thanks

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
06-23-20 05:24 PM - Post#309476    

Is this really a difference between Harvard and Penn? Obviously Harvard’s building is a fraction of the size, but they only sold out about half their home games in a 1600 seat stadium. Penn played only one Ivy home game in front of fewer than 3000 people. Student engagement isn’t close to what it used to be at Penn, and maybe our more vocal, traveling alumni base of fans is deceptive, but we outdraw them by more than 2x.

SomeGuy 
Professor

06-23-20 05:37 PM - Post#309477    
    In response to mrjames

I am a little mystified as to why you think Donahue doesn’t embrace the community, Wharton, the facility, etc. Maybe my perspective is compromised by where we were coming from, but he is so much better at these things than his predecessors that I am very surprised by your perspective. Donahue is a Philly guy through and through who is very much a part of the community and conveys that far better than our last two coaches.

Maybe he’s not Dunphy, but perceptions of Dunphy probably show how times have changed — when I was a student, I’m pretty sure I came within a whisker of getting punched in the face by him. Despite that outreach, I kept going to games!

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-24-20 12:03 AM - Post#309492    
    In response to SomeGuy

Brandon Lieb now picked up a 2020 offer from Illinois tonight.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-24-20 02:19 AM - Post#309493    
    In response to Mike Porter

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county...

Clearly what our coaching staff sees in him multiple other programs see in him as well. Few takeaways:

1. Penn is listed among HM offers as distinct from mid-major offers, how nice!
2. His plans were to take a post-grad year, but the slew of 2020 offers have maybe changed that. He gives a 2-4 week timeline. I wonder if we’re in on him for 2020 in addition to 2021. Now THAT would be a steal. I also wonder if this is partly why Penn unlike some other ivy programs has yet to release its 2020 class. On a related note: who is our fourth recruit for the class? Donahue has mentioned four recruits (post Berger) and some of you have. All I know of is Case, Slajchert, and Laczkowski

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-24-20 03:41 AM - Post#309494    

Colin Chambers (som of former early 90’s player Paul Chambers) who I believe is a walk on to the team.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Re: New 2021 Recruiting Thread
06-24-20 06:39 PM - Post#309559    
    In response to welcometothejungle

• welcometothejungle Said:
https://twitter.com/CBHSbasketball/status /12751731...

Penn has extended an offer to Reese McMullen, a 6'3" guard from Christian Brothers High School in Memphis, TN. He currently has offers from Dartmouth, Lipscomb, Holy Cross, and Army, and Princeton and Yale have both expressed interest as well

Highlights here: http://www.hudl.com/v/2DJGYu

Looks like a nice offensive player, but what I like about his highlight reel is that it actually includes defense.

SomeGuy 
Professor

06-24-20 07:33 PM - Post#309562    
    In response to SomeGuy

In fairness to Brown, they actually have 5 recruits coming in, compared to our 4. I missed Felix Kloman, who I don’t think had any other D1 offers. So they are ahead of us in terms of number of incoming recruits for this year.

Quake Show 
Junior

06-24-20 11:27 PM - Post#309568    

A few plusses and some minuses from his highlights:

Defense:
Great defensive positioning and very quick hands. Reads offenses well to understand where he should rotate on the weak side, anticipate the cutter, and read the screen to high post flare. This clearly would be an asset in guarding ivy teams. From these highlights I don’t get a sense of his willingness to guard more than the 1-2, obviously not really rn job of a PG or combo guard, but something we all loved about Antonio Woods.

Offense:
I can see why Donahue would be very high on this kid. Clearly spaces the floor as a shooter, understands how to drive and collapse defenses, and has great court vision to find the cutter or open man. Also doesn’t crowd the ball handler or lane (unlike some of our guys). I didn’t see that great of ball handling (a few behind the backs at the foul line that definitely wouldn’t fly in college) but of all the skills - this is one that can be refined and drastically improved quickly. You can’t teach good decision making nearly as quickly.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
06-25-20 11:58 AM - Post#309578    

https://twitter.com/brandonlieb12/status/ 127616557...

Looks like Brandon Lieb must have really liked Illinois' offer, as 2 days after receiving their offer he committed to Illinois this morning

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
06-25-20 12:34 PM - Post#309579    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Yeah, not super surprised by that, basically his hometown Big 10 team came calling.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
06-25-20 01:04 PM - Post#309587    

Evanston is a nice bike ride away from Deerfield. I've done that one myself.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
06-25-20 01:53 PM - Post#309596    

I liked his video too. Agree that I would have liked to see a bit tighter ball handling, as he could be a pretty interesting combo guard. I liked that he could get to the hoop well but also execute the pull-up. I saw signs of a step-back three, which would be a real weapon if he can perfect it. He looked very active on steals, although I wondered if he could get burned by some of his anticipation at the next level - susceptible to the backdoor? Hard to say from highlights. He gets an offer from me! Surprised he isn't involved with a higher quality group of schools, although it's fine by me if there are fewer suitors!

• jmw Said:
A few plusses and some minuses from his highlights:

Defense:
Great defensive positioning and very quick hands. Reads offenses well to understand where he should rotate on the weak side, anticipate the cutter, and read the screen to high post flare. This clearly would be an asset in guarding ivy teams. From these highlights I don’t get a sense of his willingness to guard more than the 1-2, obviously not really rn job of a PG or combo guard, but something we all loved about Antonio Woods.

Offense:
I can see why Donahue would be very high on this kid. Clearly spaces the floor as a shooter, understands how to drive and collapse defenses, and has great court vision to find the cutter or open man. Also doesn’t crowd the ball handler or lane (unlike some of our guys). I didn’t see that great of ball handling (a few behind the backs at the foul line that definitely wouldn’t fly in college) but of all the skills - this is one that can be refined and drastically improved quickly. You can’t teach good decision making nearly as quickly.

Page 4 of 26 « First<4567>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.222 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:54 AM