Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 2021 Season        (Topic#24770)
84grad 
Junior

Reg: 11-09-17
10-17-20 04:09 PM - Post#315007    

Adam Zagoria:

Sources: Two Ivy League schools are highly unlikely to play men's hoops this year and it's possible the whole league won't play at all.

"I have a feeling it would be the whole league isn’t going to play," one Ivy League asst coach.

Multiple sources say @HarvardMBB won't play this year, and at least one other school is on the fence.

If there's 5-6 teams, the league would still play, sources said.

"It's going to be tough, it's going to be tough," one coach said. "Things are getting worse everywhere."

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: 2021 Season
10-17-20 04:53 PM - Post#315010    
    In response to 84grad

The season is toast, folks. There are some quixotic coaches trying to keep this alive if not for the league at least for their own teams, but much like the current Supreme Court nomination, “don’t play” has the votes that matter, and there isn’t much aside from kicking and screaming to the end that “play” can do about it. (Short of a Hail Mary widely distributed vaccine, etc).

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
10-17-20 05:43 PM - Post#315012    
    In response to mrjames

So you are moving full-time to the PGA Tour. Will you be back for the next Ivy Season?

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
10-18-20 08:03 AM - Post#315016    
    In response to mrjames

Watched an ACC football game yesterday with a relatively small number of people in the stadium with all players participating other than normal injuries -- no COVID cases amongst players or coaching staff.

After the game, both the coaches and players expressed appreciation for the opportunity to play especially several seniors including one of the seniors who decided to forego NFL draft -- he was projected to be a mid to late 1st round pick in the 2020 draft.

It makes one wonder how they are they playing through COVID while others do not but it is what it is.

I am sure that some conferences will play BB this winter while others will not. One would hope that decision makers think through their final decision rationally. At the end of the day, decisions will be different as each situation is unique. Risk tolerance and economics are also variables.

Some IL BB players may decide to go a different route if IL season is cancelled which is certainly their right. For example, I could understand a player like Llewellyn opting out depending on how he views his future. Time will tell but there will be consequences to the final decision.

bradley 
PhD Student

10-18-20 08:10 AM - Post#315017    
    In response to mrjames

Watched an ACC football game yesterday with a relatively small number of people in the stadium with all players participating other than normal injuries -- no COVID cases amongst players or coaching staff.

After the game, both the coaches and players expressed appreciation for the opportunity to play especially several seniors including one of the seniors who decided to forego NFL draft -- he was projected to be a mid to late 1st round pick in the 2020 draft.

It makes one wonder how they are they playing through COVID while others do not but it is what it is.

I am sure that some conferences will play BB this winter while others will not. One would hope that decision makers think through their final decision rationally. At the end of the day, decisions will be different as each situation is unique. Risk tolerance and economics are also variables.

Some IL BB players may decide to go a different route if IL season is cancelled which is certainly their right. For example, I could understand a player like Llewellyn opting out depending on how he views his future. Time will tell but there will be consequences to the final decision.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
10-22-20 10:32 AM - Post#315216    
    In response to bradley

New Mass General Covid Tool/Tracker that attempts to gauge risk of attending local college football games:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2020/10/22/co vi...

bradley 
PhD Student

10-24-20 07:32 AM - Post#315343    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

2,000 fans in a 30,000+ outdoors stadium seemed far safer than shopping in our local super market. Social distancing and masks were in place with all parents in attendance plus 700 students.

Playing basketball in an empty or almost empty arena certainly has issues but .....

palestra38 
Professor

10-25-20 03:09 PM - Post#315374    
    In response to bradley

I still don't know why we just can't send everyone up to Cornell while they are on break (they are sending students home on 11/29 and returning 2/9 and just play a season where it is possible to do a bubble. If there is an NCAA tournament (and there will be), it would be unfair to our players not to participate. I am not suggesting any kind of risk--but this would be easy to do and I am sure the players would be happy to do it.

Noah Friedman 
Freshman

Reg: 01-19-20
11-09-20 02:03 PM - Post#316286    
    In response to palestra38

Any update on this season? Are we going to play conference games? Is Harvard not playing?

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
11-10-20 11:02 AM - Post#316404    
    In response to Noah Friedman

• Noah Friedman Said:
Any update on this season? Are we going to play conference games? Is Harvard not playing?

Given that the Patriot League is going forward with conference-only unbalanced play, I imagine that the ball is now in the Ivy's court (so to speak).

I bet we get news soon...

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-10-20 11:45 AM - Post#316413    
    In response to Go Green

Harvard will not be playing. I think it's highly unlikely the rest of the Ivy will either, but Harvard is not gonna play. Yale isn't either.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.218 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:28 AM