Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Username Post: It’s hard being a Pennfan right now        (Topic#24774)
barryw 
Sophomore

Reg: 05-05-10
10-19-20 03:00 PM - Post#315058    

Although I never went to Penn, I have been a fan all my life- I’m 74 and have season tickets every year. It is really hard to see all the major conference schools scheduling games and nothing from Penn. Villanova announced that they will still play Temple, LaSalle and St Joe as usual. Of course, Penn will be left out unless it happens after the new year when conference games are being played. Why does the Ivy League have to always go the opposite direction from big time schools?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: It’s hard being a Pennfan right now
10-19-20 03:08 PM - Post#315060    
    In response to barryw

Public health. And the fact that our players are part of the student body. You can't say in an Ivy institution that there are different rules for athletes than for all other students. If students are not permitted on campus, how can they play basketball on campus.

I miss Penn basketball every bit as much as you, but there would be something hyperhypocritical (to invent a word) to play ball unless students return to campus.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
10-19-20 03:29 PM - Post#315065    
    In response to palestra38

While I have differences at times with many on these boards, what I share is a love of Ivy basketball. And while I have differences with the presidents on their policy choices at times, what I share is their concern for public health and the health of not just our student-athletes but their communities as a whole.

I was very proud of the league in March for doing the right thing for safety. That it led all sports is a fun footnote but isn't a reason for pride. It will do the right thing for safety this time around too and shouldn't be judged in the context of whether other conferences follow suit or the outcomes that those other leagues achieve.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-19-20 03:43 PM - Post#315066    
    In response to mrjames

Hmmmm. With a less than 1% death rate from the pandemic and plenty of others figuring out how to go about their business, what does "safety" and "public health" really mean?

To be clear, I am not for blindly opening everything up, neither am I for isolating everyone indefinitely. I think we can protect the vulnerable and figure out a way to go about our normal lives. If Ivies can lead the shut down, they can certainly lead the return to living effort.

palestra38 
Professor

10-19-20 03:49 PM - Post#315068    
    In response to PennFan10

The issue is the incredible communicability of the virus, especially indoors. The NBA was unable to continue without a bubble. You can't do a bubble for the NCAA, absent a tournament format.

Now if they wanted to do a national tournament with all teams in a bubble setting, I'm all for it. If the Ivies want to do a tournament in a bubble setting, I'm all for it. But otherwise, the risk is intolerable.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
10-19-20 04:04 PM - Post#315069    

Absent a bubble, I don't see how to exert oneself indoors and be safe given I don't think basketball and mask wearing go well together. (and i sure as hell wouldn't be 74 wanting to go see a basketball game indoors).

But I do think we should be trying for school. Alternatively, I'd like to see a larger tuition rebate.

mrjames 
Professor

10-19-20 04:18 PM - Post#315070    
    In response to PennFan10

The thing that people seem to miss about this virus is that it is NOT inevitable that everyone gets it. In fact, with a highly efficacious vaccine that could be ubiquitous within six months, it's more likely than not that everyone does NOT have to get this virus.

The close indoor contact from sports and the gathering of teams increases the number of vectors of the virus. Increasing the number of vectors increases the likelihood of further spread and ultimately death. That risk is acceptable in some instances - people returning to jobs, younger kids returning to schools - but less acceptable in more "optional" situations like college athletics.

I'm not for locking everything down either, but as much as I love Ivy athletics, it's not a necessary activity that should be engaged in at the risk of propagating more vectors of the virus. And, it's important to note, that a recent CDC Morbidity and Mortality weekly report had a study on how spikes in college communities started with 18-22 year olds when they returned to school and were followed by a spike amongst older age groups in that community a few weeks later. It's very difficult to keep these vectors isolated to the college-aged kids in these communities.

palestra38 
Professor

10-19-20 04:18 PM - Post#315072    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Agreed on both of your points. And Guttmann should take a pay cut---for appearances sake, if nothing else.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
It’s hard being a Pennfan right now
10-19-20 04:24 PM - Post#315074    

Given what happened to the Yale hockey team, the number of cases in football (an outdoor sport, mind you), and the fact that the Ivy Presidents (whatever we think of them) do have some of the world's best epidemiologists at their disposal, maybe it's OK to give them some benefit of the doubt in their decision? They certainly got it right in March.

Just saying.

palestra38 
Professor

10-19-20 04:31 PM - Post#315075    
    In response to TheLine

I was agreeing with that point of view, not disagreeing.

TheLine 
Professor

It’s hard being a Pennfan right now
10-19-20 04:40 PM - Post#315076    

I know.

That comment was in agreement with you, Mike and Jeff. Because this board has no rep feature.

• Sean Doolittle Said:
Sports are the reward of a functional society

Edited by TheLine on 10-19-20 04:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-19-20 04:48 PM - Post#315077    

• palestra38 Said:
The issue is the incredible communicability of the virus, especially indoors. The NBA was unable to continue without a bubble. You can't do a bubble for the NCAA, absent a tournament format.

Now if they wanted to do a national tournament with all teams in a bubble setting, I'm all for it. If the Ivies want to do a tournament in a bubble setting, I'm all for it. But otherwise, the risk is intolerable.

P38: Risk of what? No fans and a bunch of 18-22 yr olds who get tested in advance seems like a tolerable outcome. European basketball is happening, with testing and contact tracing. Also, viruses (ALL Viruses) are incredibly communicable and spread indoors more easily. We don't shut down economies and lives because of that.

The Ivies don't have exclusive access to the world's leading doctors so that's not a coherent excuse.

MrJ brings up some valid points on this. Do you have a link to the CDC report you reference?

I am not predisposed in my thinking on this, I am weighing the arguments on both sides. Right now I see enough people figuring out the safety and public health concerns to move forward at some level. That may change, but Covid Hysteria can't rule forever can it?

palestra38 
Professor

10-19-20 05:02 PM - Post#315078    
    In response to PennFan10

I didn't say I had a CDC study, but here's one from Harvard. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/hsph-in-the-news ...

The problem is that if you don't go bubble, the players are constantly exposed and in basketball, they will inevitably expose others. While that may not result in death, it will mean the possibility of not being able to field a team if 5-6 players come down with it--you saw that baseball had to go to a 60 player roster to survive a season with strict protocols but no bubble. And, of course, if they are spreading the virus among themselves, they are spreading it to others who are more disposed to poor consequences.

hoopsfan 
Masters Student

Reg: 12-26-04
10-19-20 05:13 PM - Post#315079    
    In response to PennFan10

As much as I will deeply miss hoops if the season is cancelled, for reasons of public safety I'd understand. I think that is the position all of us will take.

Whatever the decision is I hope it is a deeply considered one. For instance I periodically check the Covid dashboards for universities in my area. Harvard in the last 7 days has tested 16,000+ and has a positivity rate of .08. Northeastern tests every other day and by now has tested nearly 300,00 times. Their positivity rate for the last 7 days is .04.

Northeastern has had all its students on campus and has been extremely aggressive about testing, tracing and isolating when called for. They are also planning to play a conference only schedule and on their twitter site you can see videos of their guys shooting in the gym with masks on. OTOH we know the Ivies are mostly sans students totally sans competition.

It will be very interesting to see if they indeed can have a safe and full season. Only time will tell. And if they do, will it be because in general they set their goals on managing for Covid in all aspects? And if the Ivies do not try, will it be because of whatever set of variables, they have set a context of greater caution overall?

I am not saying there is a right or wrong approach. But what is clear are is that there are different approaches being tried which in some ways will become a real-time experiment in public health management.

mrjames 
Professor

10-19-20 05:15 PM - Post#315080    
    In response to PennFan10

I’ll have to go back and dig it up. You might be able to find it faster through google, but I want to say it was in the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality report from a couple weeks ago.

TheLine 
Professor

10-19-20 05:20 PM - Post#315083    
    In response to mrjames

Perhaps this one?
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm 6939e4.ht...

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
Reg: 11-23-04
10-19-20 05:37 PM - Post#315086    
    In response to TheLine

I agree that not playing intercollegiate sports will be regrettable, but if the conference concludes that, for the sake of the health of the public, the participants, and the spectators it is the prudent thing to do, I'm with them. And there's another consideration: intercollegiate athletics is one of the most visible activities in which a university engages. As such, like it or not, it's how those institutions set an example. It is important for institutions of higher learning to model responsible behavior.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-19-20 05:37 PM - Post#315087    
    In response to TheLine

• TheLine Said:

That looks like it. Thanks

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-19-20 05:54 PM - Post#315088    
    In response to PennFan10

Here's the one that references later dates for older/at risk groups:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm 6941e1.ht...

mrjames 
Professor

10-19-20 07:18 PM - Post#315090    
    In response to PennFan10

I knew there’d be faster sleuthing here. I read a lot of these, so I can never quite keep track. Not something I should be doing given that this stuff all gives me tremendous anxiety but have to stay on top of this stuff.

Page 1 of 6 1234>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.147 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:33 AM