Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Donahue to Penn St?        (Topic#24783)
nychoops 
Junior

Reg: 11-23-04
10-23-20 08:36 AM - Post#315286    

Their are very well connected ppl floating stories around that he is on a short list of potential replacements.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Donahue to Penn St?
10-23-20 10:04 AM - Post#315289    
    In response to nychoops

That would make some people here very happy (not moi)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Loc: Westfield, New Jersey
10-23-20 10:46 AM - Post#315290    
    In response to palestra38

While Steve Donahue may not be the second coming of John Wooden, I really do think he's a very good, and improving, coach. Him leaving for PSU would be very unfortunate. Anybody who'd like to seem him go is being foolish.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Donahue to Penn St?
10-23-20 11:04 AM - Post#315292    
    In response to Silver Maple

It would be bad timing for Penn. Plus being the basketball coach at Penn St is as bad a position, if not worse, than the BC gig Donahue had. Penn St reserves its money and resources for football so while the salary goes up, it's not as much as one might expect. I don't see it happening.

I read some blurb from a Penn St writer trying to drum up interest in Tommy Amaker, which I found laughable.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

10-23-20 11:12 AM - Post#315293    
    In response to TheLine

It does raise this question: if Donahue was unable to be successful at BC, what's different about him now or the PSU job that would lead to a different result this time around? I've heard and read interviews with him over the years in which, reading between the lines, he seemed to be suggesting that maybe a high major job doesn't play to his strengths.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
10-23-20 12:16 PM - Post#315299    

Well, coaches do change. Donahue has been a far better defensive coach at Penn than his past history would suggest. So he may have learned things that would help him if he got another shot at a high major position.

Agreed that, like BC, PSU isn’t necessarily a step up.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
Donahue to Penn St?
10-23-20 02:43 PM - Post#315323    
    In response to SomeGuy

PSU student paper weighs in:
https://www.collegian.psu.edu/sports/men_basketbal...

Jim Ferry (interim coach), Phil Martelli, Tommy Amaker, Avery Johnson, Joe Crispin (Rowan coach)and Brett Brown (former 76ers coach)

----

CBS Sports:
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ne ws/...

- The Penn State job is a hard job — arguably one of the most difficult jobs in any Power Five conference. The school has only been to four NCAA Tournaments since 1965, only two since 1996. And when you combine that fact with the fact that Pat Chambers was reportedly making just $900,000, it's reasonable to assume the candidate pool will be limited to assistants and mid-major coaches.

So where should Penn State look?

In my opinion, the goal should be to hire somebody who has already been a consistent winner at whatever level because, at a place like Penn State, you're never going to have better players than most of the other programs in the Big Ten, which is why you better have somebody who can really, really coach. It's an approach currently working at Rutgers, where Steve Pikiell was hired away from Stony Brook after finishing first or second in the America East four straight seasons. -

John Becker (Vermont), Jeff Boals (Ohio), David Cox (Rhode Island)

---

Well, we know the one Ivy coach it won't be is Jerome Allen.

I guess I understand why Steve Donahue's name has been mentioned, but it just doesn't seem like a realistic choice. Not only did it not work out well at BC a number of years ago, but there are a number of mid-major coaches who have had more consistent recent success.

Also, as has been noted on this board on more than one occasion, SD has not been able to outrecruit Harvard, Yale and Princeton (and it is debatable if he can outrecruit Brown). He's been a good teacher of lesser ranked recruits, but probably not the best in the conference.

Amaker has had his name mentioned at more high profile jobs than PSU and didn't seem to pursue them. It would be shocking if this was actually a thing.

If PSU (or any similar high major program) is going to look for an Ivy coach, how could they not look at James Jones? The guy is a proven consistent winner at the league and national level, recruits really well and has the respect of coaches throughout the country.

I think he was runner-up at St. John's few years ago. I don't know enough about these two schools to know if PSU is better or worse than St. John's, but I would think that Sandy Barbour would be wise to at least see if he was interested.

Edited by rbg on 10-23-20 03:08 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

10-23-20 03:41 PM - Post#315327    
    In response to rbg

Next man up. This would be ideal. No one gets fired and a coach who's going nowhere leaves. Plus we have a year to conduct the search. It's THE BEST TIMING.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

10-23-20 03:43 PM - Post#315328    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Sandy, offer him the deal. He offers you analytics and adequacy. Oh and consistency too!

Steve, take the deal.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
10-23-20 04:14 PM - Post#315332    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Donahue would a fool to put his head in that noose.

SomeGuy 
Professor

10-23-20 05:01 PM - Post#315334    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I’ll say the same thing I said when you guys started tripping over yourselves to wish Dunphy out the door — be careful what you wish for.

Agreed that we would have time to search, because nobody is going to be lining up to come coach in a league that isn’t playing while everyone else is. But what do you think happens to recruiting during that time? A long search means a big pause in recruiting, particularly if Donahue were to take staff with him.

I don’t think this is really a thing anyway, but if it were to transpire, I see a lot of downside.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

10-23-20 05:03 PM - Post#315335    
    In response to SomeGuy

you're too risk averse, we fired andy reid, it worked out.

oh no, we're KenPom 225 for a year instead of 175. the point is, nothing ventured, nothing gained. mediocrity is unbecoming

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
10-23-20 05:26 PM - Post#315337    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:
you're too risk averse, we fired andy reid, it worked out.

oh no, we're KenPom 225 for a year instead of 175. the point is, nothing ventured, nothing gained. mediocrity is unbecoming

It took more than a decade and three head coaches after Bob Weinhauer left in 1982 till we won another Ivy title with a winning record. It took more than a decade and three head coaches after Fran Dunphy left (aside from Glenn Miller winning his first year with Fran's guys) till we won another Ivy title. Do you seriously think it's going to happen quicker this time if Steve Donahue leaves? If so, you must have us confused with Duke. If Steve leaves, you'll be less happy with his replacement.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
10-23-20 05:41 PM - Post#315338    
    In response to 13otto

I really have trouble thinking SD would get the offer from Happy Valley let alone take it. OTOH, I hope Dr. Grace has Langel's phone #.

SomeGuy 
Professor

10-23-20 06:18 PM - Post#315339    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Well, the Eagles are 16 games over .500 with 4 playoff appearances in 7 years, and one Super Bowl since Andy left. Meanwhile, Andy is 46 games over .500 with 6 playoff appearances in 7 years and one Super Bowl. The Eagles second best season under Pederson resulted in the same win total as Reid’s worst season in KC.

I’m not sure how you can look at that and say the Eagles won out.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
10-23-20 06:51 PM - Post#315340    
    In response to SomeGuy

If Donahue were to leave for this gig, which I find to be unlikely, though I'm always inclined to put a lot of stock in nychoops tips...

THE ANSWER IS NOT MATT LANGEL. Langel is clearly a fantastic coach, but as we discussed in hiring Donahue, you're not trying to win the 2000s Ivy League, but the Ivy League of today. And the current Patriot League is in line with the 2000s Ivy League not today's edition of the Ivy.

Penn needs a former high-major coach that can really recruit but just couldn't sustain the wins at that level. Gotta recruit with HYP to beat HYP.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

10-23-20 08:15 PM - Post#315341    
    In response to SomeGuy

Because 1. he was out of ideas. and 2. we've been horrendously unlucky.

I love Andy. My favorite football coach and a true genius. Steve Donahue is mediocre.

nychoops 
Junior

10-23-20 08:54 PM - Post#315342    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I have heard Penn St quite obviously between what happened in the past with the athletic department and now this needs a “clean” hire. The list of names I’ve heard this far do indeed included Donahue( and a few boosters not getting the message actually advocating for Pitino!!).. I have absolutely no idea if the interest is mutual.

TheLine 
Professor

10-24-20 08:39 AM - Post#315345    
    In response to nychoops

Even if the was a true interest on Penn State's part in Pitino, which seems farfetched, there's no chance Pitino would accept what the job would pay.

Heck, I don't think the job pays enough for Donahue to jump ship given all the baggage.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
10-24-20 08:58 AM - Post#315347    
    In response to mrjames

• mrjames Said:

THE ANSWER IS NOT MATT LANGEL. Langel is clearly a fantastic coach, but as we discussed in hiring Donahue, you're not trying to win the 2000s Ivy League, but the Ivy League of today. And the current Patriot League is in line with the 2000s Ivy League not today's edition of the Ivy.

Penn needs a former high-major coach that can really recruit but just couldn't sustain the wins at that level. Gotta recruit with HYP to beat HYP.

I get your somewhat overworked point here but you are cliff-diving to the conclusion that Langel could not assemble a first rate recruiting staff and be a high level recruiter himself. You also assume that your vision of the League emerges from Covid. Indeed, despite his recent extension, we may find out anyway if Langel keeps it up at Colgate and lands a high major gig.

In the likely event SD leaves, I know Penn needs a proven coach who gets the traditions and advantages of the program and sure to be clean. Given the resources, good coaches can attract the personalities needed to be ace recruiters.

rbg 
Postdoc

10-26-20 11:31 PM - Post#315470    
    In response to Streamers

Nine Coaching Candidates for Penn State Basketball

https://www.blackshoediaries.com/2020/10/26/215280...

Jim Ferry (Penn State Interim Head Coach)
Mike Rhoades (VCU HC)
John Becker (Vermont HC)
Steve Donahue (Penn HC)
Keith Dambrot (Duquesne HC)
Shaka Smart (Texas HC)
Jon Scheyer (Duke Assistant Coach)
Rick Pitino (Iona HC)
Brett Brown (former Sixers HC, currently unemployed)

Steve Donahue (Penn HC) - After getting Cornell to three straight NCAA Tournaments (including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2010), Donahue had a rough go in the ACC at Boston College, with only one NIT appearance and three straight losing seasons to show for it. He’s since redeemed himself at Penn, having clinched three straight winning seasons, including an NCAA berth in 2018. Being in the heart of Philly, he likely has to have built some ties with the local hoops scene, which should make him an attractive target in those regards.

TheLine 
Professor

10-27-20 09:19 AM - Post#315485    
    In response to rbg

If this is a good guess at the real list, Donahue is bubbling up.

I hadn't known Rick Pitino is now coaching at Iona. His salary at Iona is comparable to what Chambers was making. I don't see him as a viable candidate.

I don't see Rhoades or Smart. Penn St isn't an attractive position for either.

Coach K disciples are jockeying to be next in line. Scheyer's interest would be based on whether he thinks the job will help or hurt him.

Brown? That's a wild card. Don't know how realistic of a pick he'd be.

I don't think Donahue would be interested if he has a long term commitment from Penn. if he doesn't then he might be a possibility depending on the salary.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
10-27-20 09:31 AM - Post#315488    
    In response to TheLine

Pitino is interested in redemption more than money at this point. Penn St puts him on a much bigger stage in the Big Ten than it does at Iona so I would think he would be interested if Penn St is interested.

Bret Brown is going to make a bunch of dough sitting this one out and I dont' see him wanting to take his first college gig at Penn St when it's likely he can land another HC job in the NBA next year.

I think Donahue is in the top 3 here. My guess is along with the interim, Ferry, and either Pitino, Scheyer or Rhoades.

palestra38 
Professor

10-27-20 09:35 AM - Post#315489    
    In response to PennFan10

I cannot imagine Pitino taking the Iona job and abandoning it before they play a game. He'd get killed in NY...and Iona substantially increased its budget to get him

rbg 
Postdoc

10-27-20 10:07 AM - Post#315490    

Becker and Boals are probably two of their top candidates.

Rhoades is a good choice, but his price is probably too high.

I agree with P38 on Pitino. It would be something, even for him, to start his rehabilitation tour by jumping to another school before game #1 at Iona.

SD seems to be one of the most consistent names on these lists, so he's probably in the mix.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2020/10/26/21535207/p ...

1. Jim Ferry (Penn State Interim Head Coach)
2. John Becker (Vermont)
3. Jeff Boals (Ohio)
4. Steve Donahue (Penn)
5. Rick Pitino (Iona)

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
10-27-20 10:37 AM - Post#315504    
    In response to rbg

I can't get passed the idea that another NBA team might hire Brett Brown. Is that really true? He's still thought of well?

palestra38 
Professor

10-27-20 10:38 AM - Post#315505    
    In response to Quakers03

They are talking about Penn State, not an NBA team. But I think it's just someone throwing out names.

Quakers03 
Professor

Reg: 12-07-04
10-27-20 10:49 AM - Post#315513    

A poster above wrote off the possibility of Brown for this job because he'd be hired by a future NBA team. Is he really still thought of well in NBA circles? I could see him succeeding at the college level.

TheLine 
Professor

Donahue to Penn St?
10-27-20 10:55 AM - Post#315516    

Right. Pitino has stated he was really only interested in a couple of jobs - Iona and Providence were his top two choices. It's a different type of redemption he claims he is looking for. The Iona job also allows Pitino to live in his NYC home, which is a nice perk for him.

If Pitino wants a redemption on his ability to build a winning program again then Penn St isn't the right place anyway.

Penn St has never been willing to ante up for a basketball coach. It will limit options. It also makes Donahue a viable option if he has any interest.

There is zero chance it will be Rhoades. He already has a better and higher paying job.

Edited by TheLine on 10-27-20 10:59 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

10-27-20 11:35 AM - Post#315522    
    In response to TheLine

I'll admit that I have a bias here-- I'd prefer Donahue to stay at Penn. That said, I really can't see why he'd take the PSU job. He already took one high major job that had failure baked into it, and we all know how that worked out. I can't see why he'd want to go down that road again. There might be another HM job out there for him someday, but I don't think this one is it.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Donahue to Penn St?
10-27-20 02:12 PM - Post#315528    

• palestra38 Said:
I cannot imagine Pitino taking the Iona job and abandoning it before they play a game. He'd get killed in NY...and Iona substantially increased its budget to get him

I don't think what people think of him is a high priority on Pitino's list. If he thinks he can succeed faster at Penn St than at Iona, he will be a candidate. (But his home situation may be a factor too)

Bret Brown was considered by a couple NBA teams. He is well thought of in NBA circles and there is a narrative outside of Philadelphia fans that injuries and GM decisions hampered his ability to win. If he sits out a year and Doc Rivers hits a home run with the same roster, it may hurt Bret's chances. If Doc struggles, It will improve Bret's prospects.

Edited by PennFan10 on 10-27-20 02:14 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

10-27-20 02:15 PM - Post#315529    
    In response to PennFan10

I don't think Steve would ultimately leave for Penn St. I think he believes Penn can get back to elite status in the IL. If he does that, his prospects will be much more broad.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
10-27-20 02:27 PM - Post#315530    
    In response to PennFan10

I'll reiterate... I can't imagine a world in which Steve ends up at Penn State, though, again, I put a ton of stock in nychoops' tips. I don't even think he's the most likely *Ivy League* coach to end up at Penn State. But we shall see.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Donahue to Penn St?
10-27-20 02:41 PM - Post#315539    
    In response to mrjames

Am I correct that the most likely Ivy coach is Jones? That is who I thought of when Chambers got fired, before Donahue’s name started popping up.

And just an aside, I think Pitino has a better chance to win at Iona than he would at Penn State. But I can’t imagine PSU wants him under the circumstances either. This is a time for a squeaky clean hire. Jones fits the bill, unless you consider cutting down the nets in an empty gym after tying for a league title as a dirty move.

To me, the fact Pitino keeps popping up (along with a couple of others on the list) suggests to me that the list isn’t really indicative of who they are looking at. Donahue isn’t as outlandish as some of the others.

Edited by SomeGuy on 10-27-20 02:44 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

10-27-20 02:50 PM - Post#315543    
    In response to SomeGuy

Steve is 58, he will be turning 60 about a month after the next season the Ivy plays games. Not a ton of big schools going after 60 year olds (and I don't expect Steve to win that year, so it's really when he's 61 that options will open up for him).

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
10-31-20 09:36 AM - Post#315772    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Stay Steve

Quake Show 
Junior

Reg: 03-04-20
10-31-20 10:19 AM - Post#315773    
    In response to Charlie Fog

I’m not concerned about Donahue taking the Penn State gig - if he’s even offered it. He has made it clear in multiple news outlets and mediums that he intends to stay at Penn for a long time (like > 10 more years long) and build the program.

Doesn’t seem like the kind of guy given his history at Penn and in the Ivy to jump ship for a slightly shinier gig.

(Also, the point about him being 60 and Penn State needing a younger coach to build with is quite salient.)

Silver Maple 
Postdoc

Donahue to Penn St?
10-31-20 02:31 PM - Post#315784    
    In response to Quake Show

I get what you're saying, and hope you're right, but I fear you might be a bit naive. Steve's a good guy, but, like any of us, if he sees truly significant advantages for him and his family to taking the Penn State job, he'll take it. He'll feel bad, but that won't change his decision. And I wouldn't blame him. It's not reasonable to expect somebody, regardless of career field, to turn down a valuable opportunity out of loyalty to a current employer. Employers certainly don't hesitate to cut employees loose if they see that as being in their interest.

All that said, I'm skeptical that PSU will offer the job to Steve, and am even more skeptical that he'd see that job as being sufficiently attractive to justify taking it.

I guess we'll see.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
11-01-20 10:55 AM - Post#315795    

The head coach is such a key to the program. For those of us who think Penn’s natural advantages should help any coach succeed, please refer to UCLA, Georgetown, St. John’s, NC State, etc. are our natural advantages stronger than theirs? Those programs have been mired in mediocrity far longer than their fans could have imagined in their prime past. All had huge fan bases, shoe company relations, money, and more. The head coach defines the outcome.

I like Donahue.

rbg 
Postdoc

01-27-21 12:19 AM - Post#319800    
    In response to Penndemonium

Update on the coaching search from Penn State AD Sandy Barbour.

- So far, assuming that risk has manifested itself to the Nittany Lions having a 5-6 record under interim coach Jim Ferry, who Barbour says has done an outstanding job.

As for if Ferry will drop the interim tag and become the full-time coach?

Barbour wouldn't say.

But she did give a deadline as to when the new full-time coach would be named.

"In terms of getting candidates and developing our list and kind of getting ahead of the game, we've been doing that," Barbour said. "The plan would be to name a head coach immediately following the conclusion of our Penn State men's basketball season."

Without divulging who's on the list, Barbour did say one advantage is that people interested in the job know it's open and don't have to wait and see if it will become available. -

- She also said that Ferry has made it clear to her that he'd like to be considered for the full-time position.

"Jim has certainly, from the beginning, indicated his interest in being a candidate, and in my evaluation, I think that Jim's done some great things,” Barbour said. “I'm not going to make that decision until the end of the season, but he's got a hands-on audition in order to make his case."

When it comes to naming a full-time coach, Barbour said she'll seek to strike a balance between on-court performance and fit for the job from a culture and off-the-court perspective.

"In terms of metrics, there certainly are some on-court metrics in terms of how teams play outside of the metric piece, it's about style and those kinds of things and I'm certainly relying on experts around some of that," she said. "My biggest contribution, if you will, is to really look at fit for Penn State, fit for our students, our expectations for coaches around being educators and how they work with and help our students develop and grow. In the end, we'll put all that together and figure out who the best or the best candidate is." -

rbg 
Postdoc

02-27-21 07:40 PM - Post#321250    
    In response to rbg

The Hoop Dirt website is beginning to look at the search process for PSU. A number of candidates with Ivy League & Philly connections.

https://hoopdirt.com/penn-state-mens-baske tball-co...

20/1 John Thompson III Former Head Coach - Georgetown and Princeton
346-193 (.642) in 17 seasons as D1 head coach. 2013 Big East Coach of the Year.

25/1 James Jones Head Coach - Yale University
333-280 (.543) in 21 seasons at Yale. 5 time Ivy League regular season championships, 3 times Coach of the Year.

26/1 Steve Donahue Head Coach - Penn
Pennsylvania native who is 287-228 (.557) in 19 seasons as a D1 Head Coach (Penn, BC, Cornell).

28/1 Phil Martelli Associate Head Coach - Michigan; Spent 24 years as the head coach at St. Joe's
444-328 (.575). AP national Coach of the Year in 2004. 4 times A10 Coach of the Year.

32/1 Chris Mooney Head Coach - Richmond
Philly native who is in 287-228 (.557) 16-seasons at Richmond. The Princeton grad also spent one season as the Head Coach at Air Force.

38/1 Andy Toole Head Coach - Robert Morris
Odds should be better, but struggled this season (4-15). 192-169 (.532) in 11-seasons at RMU.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-28-21 11:50 AM - Post#321255    
    In response to rbg

I don't have time to vet it, but that has to be a misprint regarding respective records/number of games for Donahue and Mooney.

palestra38 
Professor

Donahue to Penn St?
02-28-21 11:58 AM - Post#321256    
    In response to sparman

You're right---Donahue is 283-278

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/steve...

Mooney is indeed 287-228 at Richmond

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/chris...

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
03-03-21 11:36 AM - Post#321312    

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/insid...

ESPN released their Coaching Carousel preview this morning, and does not mention Donahue as a name at Penn State. Yale's James Jones, the only Ivy League coach mentioned in the article, is listed in the "Mid-Major Names to Watch" section where it is noted that he "had strong momentum early in the process at Penn State", although he is not listed as a name in the Penn State specific section (perhaps meaning that momentum has since faded).

rbg 
Postdoc

03-12-21 12:17 AM - Post#321840    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Daily Dirt: D1 Search Updates – 3/11/21

https://hoopdirt.com/daily-dirt-d1-search- updates-...

No IL coaches listed at any of the openings.

20Penn14 
Senior

Reg: 02-26-12
03-15-21 10:02 AM - Post#322042    
    In response to rbg

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops

BREAKING: Penn State is expected to hire Purdue assistant Micah Shrewsberry as its head coach, sources told @stadium. Shrewsberry was previously an assistant for Brad Stevens with the Boston Celtics and at Butler.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1 371447082...

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.703 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:14 AM