Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: 20-21 Preseason Media Rankings        (Topic#24825)
welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
11-05-20 01:43 PM - Post#316045    

Likely meaningless since it seems like the trend is towards the Ivy not playing this season, but just for fun, here's the preseason Ivy rankings from some national outlets who've started putting out their national rankings in advance of the college basketball season...

KenPom:
#101 Yale
#139 Princeton
#167 Harvard
#196 Cornell
#208 Penn
#228 Brown
#303 Columbia
#307 Dartmouth

CBS Sports:
#99 Yale
#118 Harvard
#156 Princeton
#162 Penn
#243 Brown
#251 Dartmouth
#276 Cornell
#323 Columbia

T-Rank:
#104 Yale
#117 Princeton
#161 Penn
#173 Harvard
#177 Cornell
#208 Brown
#256 Columbia
#311 Dartmouth

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
Re: 20-21 Preseason Media Rankings
11-05-20 06:21 PM - Post#316073    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Just eyeballing, my guess is that the CBS ranking is basically just where everyone was last year.

Most interesting in the other two lists is Cornell. They return everyone but Warren, which I guess is good for their ranking.

Edited by SomeGuy on 11-05-20 06:24 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
11-06-20 04:36 PM - Post#316125    
    In response to SomeGuy

If the league plays and Yale & Harvard do not field teams, KenPom would have Princeton as the favorite with would be the favorite with Cornell, Penn and Brown in the next tier.

Cornell and Dartmouth usually exceed expectations, but it tends to happen after a few months of lesson learning. Don't know how well they would do if starting the year in conference play.

With Penn's strong starts in non-conference play the last few years, perhaps they would benefit most by starting off in league play.

Brown lost a number of talented players, but Martin finds a way to reload. No matter when league play begins, they should have lots of close games. I often feel that the fast pace takes its toll on the team as the year goes on. A shortened season may make these guys a more dangerous team.

If Gabe is healthy, there should be a solid rotation at Columbia. With all the injuries and close losses over the last few years, it's hard to know when their luck might change. Maybe a no-lose season like this can be the thing to change the team's fortunes.

SomeGuy 
Professor

11-06-20 05:46 PM - Post#316127    
    In response to rbg

I’m liking the idea of holding the conference tournament at Harvard even without them playing the season.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-07-20 05:43 PM - Post#316143    
    In response to SomeGuy

I still don't know why we don't all pressure the Ivies to play a bubble schedule at Cornell (streaming all games) during the extended intersession. It's longer than the usual 7 week Ivy season. There's little or no risk, no students at Cornell. And it let's our players have a season and participate in the NCAA tournament, which will occur. Why is this not being considered?

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-07-20 10:52 PM - Post#316150    
    In response to palestra38

We’re seeing 120,000 new cases/day, rise in hospitalizations and deaths. I’m hearing we’ll be seeing 2,000 to 3,000 deaths weekly soon.

Schools plan already to send everyone home by Thanksgiving and keep campuses closed until February. Trends suggest they may not reopen for a second semester.

Doubt there will be any sports in the Ivy League. I’m certainly not going to embarrass myself by lobbying for a bubbled basketball boondoggle. There are important things like health and education to prioritize.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
11-08-20 01:30 AM - Post#316153    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Meant 2,000 to 3,000 deaths daily

palestra38 
Professor

11-08-20 05:24 AM - Post#316154    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

That's just ridiculous. A safe way to play a season should not be attempted because of an outbreak which virtually everyone is trying to play through unsafely? We will lose virtually all of our good player because they are not afraid of the virus. I'm right with you that we have done virtually everything wrong to stop the virus as a nation...but the players and league should not suffer when there is a safe way to play through it. This is not a question of the safety of the players--it is more akin to asking whether we should play sports during a war where far more people are dying per capita....and we did. It's really a view that it is unseemly to play when people are dying from the virus, not that playing in a bubble is unsafe. I disagree with that view.

mrjames 
Professor

Loc: Montclair, NJ
11-08-20 08:59 AM - Post#316156    

So, we’d play a season in a bubble, and the winning team would take six weeks or so off before the NCAA Tournament?

Also, how will Dartmouth deal given that it’s on a different calendar? And if they’re out, you’re down to 5 teams.

Do we think it’s likely that basketball would go on while other sports do not?

I get the point that the calendar makes this possible, and in a world where our administrations prioritize athletics, they’d probably be thinking through options like this... but in reality, the numbers do impact our decision making and the numbers are nowhere near where they need to be to make a basketball season likely in any form or format.

palestra38 
Professor

11-08-20 09:59 AM - Post#316157    
    In response to mrjames

Is Dartmouth conducting live classes? I believe not--while students have been allowed on campus, the classes are virtual. Thus, it makes no difference if the players are at Cornell. They can attend their classes virtually just as everyone else is doing.

Look, it's not a matter of "prioritizing" athletics. It's making accommodations for those our schools recruited with promises to play basketball when all other schools are playing. It's really easy to create an Ivy bubble and if we don't do it, we will lose most of our seniors and a lot of other players as well.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
11-08-20 11:16 AM - Post#316160    

Of course, the IL could start to play a basketball season with establishing a plan to safeguard players but in all likelihood, they will not. Several people on this board over the years have suggested reasonable changes to make the IL more competitive versus other leagues without any action. Why? There are simply not enough stakeholders from the IL sports fan base willing to speak out.

Last evening, Trevor Lawrence is standing on the sideline unable to play but life went on. It is all part of the COVID world including switching dates to play games but it is being done successfully. Playing a basketball season would also have ups and downs but it is certainly possible.

If I was a potential IL basketball recruit and had options to go other great schools, I would think long and hard about going to a IL school. If I was an existing IL basketball player with hopes to play basketball at the next level, it would be completely understandable that the player would transfer.

SomeGuy 
Professor

11-08-20 01:40 PM - Post#316169    
    In response to bradley

For recruits, at least, I think the incentives may favor our league in COVID Times. Whether or not the league plays this year shouldn’t matter much to them. The extra year of eligibility for current players is going to create a backlog at the non-Ivy schools in terms of scholarships and (even if they expand the number of scholarships) playing time. At the Ivies, scholarships aren’t an issue, and the grad student rules mean that even more kids will likely play 3 seasons and then grad transfer. So there could be more playing time opportunities than usual at Ivies, and less everywhere else.

As far as current players are concerned, for better or worse if our league doesn’t play, they won’t be playing this year. So they will not get that extra 5th season unless we play. Transfer or not, they play four years. Players could be upset by this and leave, but the incentives aren’t there to transfer — it would be more of an emotional reaction to a perception of the situation.

palestra38 
Professor

11-08-20 03:09 PM - Post#316172    
    In response to SomeGuy

They will transfer AFTER graduation. They will get their Ivy degrees and transfer en masse.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.323 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:23 AM