Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Release on Patriot League Plan for Winter Sports        (Topic#24837)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
11-09-20 12:14 PM - Post#316237    

The PL just issued a release that finally brings some clarity to the winter sport situation.

- Teams will play a 16-game league schedule. No OOC games except for Army and Navy.
- Games begin Saturday January 2nd.
- Schedule will be extremely unbalanced, with teams placed in one of three regional mini-conferences. Teams will play four games against each team in its mini-conference, plus a limited number of games with others.
- In almost all cases, teams will play only on Saturday and Sunday - playing two games against the same opponent on a given weekend.
- The field for the PL tournament will be cut to eight teams. Tournament starts on Saturday March 6th for the men, and Sunday March 7th for the women. Semis will be midweek, with the Championship games both on Sunday March 14th.
- No word on whether any spectators will be allowed, if the rules of a given state permit it. I would guess no spectators, no matter what is done in other leagues.
- No flying to games.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2020/11/9/mens-b ask...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 12:15 PM - Post#316239    
    In response to Bison137

The same release also discloses that the PL swim meet will be set back to April 21-24 at Bucknell. The T&F meet is scheduled to be held at Boston U in late February, but no word yet on whether that will be held as scheduled.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Release on Patriot League Plan for Winter Sports
11-09-20 12:25 PM - Post#316241    
    In response to Bison137

Speculation on the mini-conferences:

One likely grouping: (a) Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, and Colgate; (b) Navy, American, and Loyola; and (c) Holy Cross, Boston U, and Army.

Another possibility would be to swap Colgate and Army, creating a northern division of Colgae, HC, and Boston U. A third possibility would be to have a Pennsylvania-only group a four-team Northern group

If the first proposal is accurate, the Bison would play four games against each of CU, LU, and LC, making 12 games in the mini-conference. That would leave only four other games. Boring schedule, but better than nothing.

Note that there are nine weekends between the start of league play and the start of the tournament. That leaves on free weekend for makeup games if games are cancelled due to health issues.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 12:35 PM - Post#316245    
    In response to Bison137

The full schedule is now available on the Bison site:

1/2 - at Navy
1/3 - Navy
1/9 - Lafayette
1/10 - at Lafayette
1/16 - Lehigh
1/17 - at Lehigh
1/23 - at Colgate
1/24 - at Colgate
1/30 - at Lehigh
1/31 - Lehigh
2/6 - at Loyola
2/7 - Loyola
2/13 - American
2/14 - at American
2/20 - at Lafayette
2/21 - Lafayette

3/6 - PL quarters
3/10 - PL semis
3/14 - PL Championship

In this schedule, the Bison don't play three teams: Boston U (the likely pick for #2), plus the likely picks for the bottom two spots, Army and Holy Cross. That makes it very likely that those three teams, plus Colgate, will be in their own mini-conference.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
11-09-20 12:40 PM - Post#316246    
    In response to Bison137

I’m sure there’s a reason for it but I’m not a fan of the unbalanced home/away schedules. Bucknell/Boston/Lehigh have 7 home games, Colgate/Holy Cross/Lafayette have 9 home games and the rest have 8.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
11-09-20 12:44 PM - Post#316247    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

21, I understand what you are saying, but assuming that there will be no fans in the stands (like a normal Colgate game), other than travel time, does it really matter that much?
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 12:45 PM - Post#316248    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
I’m sure there’s a reason for it but I’m not a fan of the unbalanced home/away schedules. Bucknell/Boston/Lehigh have 7 home games, Colgate/Holy Cross/Lafayette have 9 home games and the rest have 8.

There really isn't a good reason. Bucknell has only seven home games because the PL opted to have the Bison stay overnight in Hamilton rather than have the two teams bus back-and-forth. BUT they do have Bucknell and Navy play home-and-home, causing more bus miles. Navy is only 30 minutes closer to Bucknell than is Colgate - hardly enough distance differential to have different policies.

Note that the Bison women will have nine home games, hosting Colgate in two consecutive games. Their schedule is identical to the men's schedule, except the home and away games are flip-flopped.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 12:45 PM - Post#316249    
    In response to Bison137

One interesting feature of this schedule is that Holy Cross and Boston U play each other six times. And American and Loyola meet six times as well.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 12:48 PM - Post#316252    
    In response to Bison137

The complete schedule has been posted for all teams:

https://patriotleague.org/documents/2020/11/9/2 021...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 01:18 PM - Post#316261    
    In response to Bison137

One comment. Playing Navy the first two games is unfair - although someone had to be the victim. Navy will have played a month of OOC games (not sure how many) in preparation for this game. Bucknell will have played exactly zero. Not even a scrimmage vs another team. That is the worst possible opening weekend. And there was no reason for it. The PL made a very bad decision in not allowing schools to determine their own policy for OOC games prior to December 22nd.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-09-20 03:55 PM - Post#316316    
    In response to Bison137

From the league release:
"Because Army and Navy are unique in their environments and their missions within higher education, their pursuit of non-League competition, as considered appropriate by their respective Superintendents, is permitted."

Translation:
"The Mids must play George Washington. If they don't take on Jamion Christian's Colonials, it will forever impair their military readiness and thus the national security of these United States of America." < patriotic music swells in the background >

The league's approach: Let's bend to the will of the academies, and then try to sell the unequal treatment by shrouding it in a fog of vague militaristic blather.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Re: lease on Patriot League Plan for Winter Sports
11-09-20 04:02 PM - Post#316320    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

- The field for the PL tournament will be cut to eight teams.

I have no problem with this one...I've long felt the tourney field should be narrowed to better reward regular season performance. Too bad it won't be permanent.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-09-20 04:06 PM - Post#316322    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

One obvious thing they should have done is to have Army and Navy play the first weekend. Those two teams - especially Navy - will have a big advantage over the other eight PL teams. At least let the others get in one weekend of play before they have to play teams that have played multiple games.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-09-20 04:27 PM - Post#316327    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
One obvious thing they should have done is to have Army and Navy play the first weekend. Those two teams - especially Navy - will have a big advantage over the other eight PL teams. At least let the others get in one weekend of play before they have to play teams that have played multiple games.

Well said! 137 for PL President!!!

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
11-09-20 04:28 PM - Post#316328    
    In response to Bison137

But now, the more I think of it, maybe this isn’t a good time to narrow the tournament field, given the uneven scheduling.

I wonder how they’ll seed the tournament.

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
11-10-20 08:52 AM - Post#316390    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Bravman’s letter to the students. With all in person athletics canceled until further notice, I assume that includes basketball practice?

Dear Students,
I write with important information about University operations for the week of Monday–Sunday, Nov. 9–15. While campus is not on lockdown, we are implementing increased restrictions designed to contain the spread while supporting students academically through the end of the semester. Please expect to receive updates via email, including the possibility of extending these restrictions.
Overview
We have 26 active cases of COVID-19. As we did previously, we will immediately implement restrictions designed to mitigate potential infection, and closely monitor data. We expect that additional test results will be available Tuesday or Wednesday, at which time we will update campus with next steps.
COVID-19 Testing
All students must be tested this week, regardless of your most recent test date. Please schedule your appointment as soon as possible using the Aura app.
Academics
There will be no in-person classes this week. All instruction will be remote from Monday through Friday. Faculty will communicate with you about specific classes.
Campus Operations
I urge all members of the Bucknell community to congregate only in very small groups, preferably outdoors, with face coverings mandatory at all times regardless of social distancing. Please remember to wear masks while in your residence halls, as well.
Bertrand Library and academic buildings will remain open.
All dining locations will remain open.
The KLARC will remain open with reduced capacity, though I encourage you to exercise outdoors as weather permits.
Admissions tours are cancelled until further notice.
All in-person Athletics and student club activities are cancelled until further notice.
Travel Policy
The travel policy remains in place. If you must travel more than 30 miles off campus for any reason you will not be permitted to return to campus and/or take in-person classes for the remainder of the fall semester. Please plan on going remote and turning in your room key to Public Safety before departing campus, and contact deanofstudents@bucknell.edu with any questions.
Remote Option for Fall
Students who feel compelled to switch to remote learning before fall classes end may do so by filling out the fall 2020 remote intention form. After you submit the form, please turn in your room key to Public Safety before departing campus and notify your professors that you have switched to remote learning for the remainder of the semester. For additional information about move-out, please contact housing@bucknell.edu.
If you choose to depart campus, we ask that you leave within 24 hours of a negative test result and consult with your families to determine if, once home, you should isolate for a period of time.
Visitors
As I have stated in previous communications, families and guests must not visit students, either on and off campus.
Behavior
So many have worked so hard to make this in-person fall semester a reality. As I’ve shared several times, I am proud we have been able to get this far. And I am so grateful. Large numbers of you have written to me with similar appreciation. However, as I reflect on what I’ve seen in the last week, both on and off campus, I’m disappointed in some of the choices a small fraction of you have made, especially downtown behavior that we believe has contributed to this current situation.
We must all do our best in order to finish the semester on campus. For this to work, we must be united in responsible behavior and in our commitment to each other. We are almost there.
My best,

NoMoney89 
Freshman

Reg: 01-17-18
11-10-20 12:06 PM - Post#316419    
    In response to bison75

This makes me harken back to my era, when we never stayed overnight for league contests. We were some different teams in the ECC/PL back then, but we did always do the Hofstra (on Long Island) trip out and back same day (usually 5 hrs each way). The home and homes on a single weekend will sure put an interesting spin on things, especially if bad weather shows up. At least it won't be 2020 anymore!

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
11-10-20 12:36 PM - Post#316430    
    In response to bison75

Sorry to hear that. My son, at U of Alabama, said that all students are required to leave campus by 11/21 and return after 01/02. I doubt that this applies to D-1 athletes.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-10-20 01:59 PM - Post#316441    
    In response to Bison89

• Bison89 Said:
Sorry to hear that. My son, at U of Alabama, said that all students are required to leave campus by 11/21 and return after 01/02. I doubt that this applies to D-1 athletes.

At Bucknell, students also leave 11/21 - with finals starting after the Thanksgiving break. They end up with about the same number of weeks of class since school started much earlier this year. First day of spring semester classes is Monday February 1st.

While there was a surge of covid positives last week, it is not out-of-control and I suspect a lot of it comes from one source. For the week, there were 24 positives (students and staff) out of 3886 tests, a positive rate of 0.6%. That rate would be considered good in the outside world, but they are obviously acting to make sure it doesn't get worse.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-11-20 06:52 PM - Post#316543    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:

I see that Navy already has at least four OOC games scheduled: an opener with George Washington, Mt. St. Mary's in a Maryland MTE, Maryland in that same event, and Morgan State.

What a disgrace for the Patriot League and its "leadership". The head coaches of the other eight PL schools must be livid. Davis should be the most livid, having to open at a Navy team that should be in mid-season form.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.646 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:40 AM