Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 12 of 22 « First<12131415>» Last
Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities        (Topic#24887)
HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-20-21 11:08 PM - Post#319567    
    In response to PennFan10

11 top 25 games scheduled for tonight - 7 postponed,

Celebrating the inauguration maybe?

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-20-21 11:21 PM - Post#319568    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Well, this is one team's status. Will see what the deal is with others.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketba ll/story...

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
01-21-21 04:37 PM - Post#319611    
    In response to penn nation

Take following for what it is worth to you. My wife just participated on a call with the CEO of Moderna. He said the following:

- His biggest concern about Covid-19 is not the death rate (which he admits is frightening), but the ongoing heart, brain, lung and kidney issues that will afflict a significant percentage of infected people of all ages for their entire lives as a result of the damage the virus causes to certain body tissue.

- People who get the Moderna or Pfizer vaccine will not have developed protection against developing symptoms themselves until at least one week after the second dose (so 4 to 5 weeks after the first dose).

- Moderna data indicates that vaccinated people still may become infected (with 94% remaining asymptomatic and 6% becoming mildly ill) and have a 60% chance of infecting people around them.

- He and the doctors in his company (who have been vaccinated) are NOT eating inside restaurants since they do not think any environment where people take off their masks is safe. They also are not going to stores/doctors, or meeting with anyone outside their households unless it is an absolute emergency. Furthermore, if they do have to leave the house for an emergency, they are wearing N95 masks and face shields, keeping as far away from people as possible, using antiseptic wipes on surfaces, and frequently washing and sanitizing hands. He said they plan to follow this behavior until such time as most of the population is vaccinated because of their concern about becoming infected and spreading the disease to someone else while they are asymptomatic.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
01-21-21 11:02 PM - Post#319619    
    In response to sparman

i wonder if the ceo of moderna realizes that by sounding like a wet sponge, he significantly reduces the likelihood of a marginal person taking the vax? If nothing changes, why bother?*

https://twitter.com/DLeonhardt/status/135 121125552...

The guy above has it right. The vaccines are great.

* I am in the Pfizer vaccine study, this week I was unblinded to learn I had received the placebo and today I received the first shot of the good stuff. In 6 weeks, I'm gonna go into a restaurant and eat. Fight me.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
01-22-21 12:03 AM - Post#319620    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Yea,again, how many Ivy athletes were kept from getting the virus by not playing?

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
01-22-21 09:17 AM - Post#319622    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
Take following for what it is worth to you. My wife just participated on a call with the CEO of Moderna. He said the following:

- His biggest concern about Covid-19 is not the death rate (which he admits is frightening), but the ongoing heart, brain, lung and kidney issues that will afflict a significant percentage of infected people of all ages for their entire lives as a result of the damage the virus causes to certain body tissue.

- Moderna data indicates that vaccinated people still may become infected (with 94% remaining asymptomatic and 6% becoming mildly ill) and have a 60% chance of infecting people around them.

- He and the doctors in his company (who have been vaccinated) are NOT eating inside restaurants since they do not think any environment where people take off their masks is safe. They also are not going to stores/doctors, or meeting with anyone outside their households unless it is an absolute emergency. Furthermore, if they do have to leave the house for an emergency, they are wearing N95 masks and face shields, keeping as far away from people as possible, using antiseptic wipes on surfaces, and frequently washing and sanitizing hands. He said they plan to follow this behavior until such time as most of the population is vaccinated because of their concern about becoming infected and spreading the disease to someone else while they are asymptomatic.

Thanks for posting this. I certainly applaud the sense of social responsibility espoused by the CEO and his physicians, but does it not seem a bit extreme? I am providing routine (not emergency) medical care in my office while adhering to CDC and state mandated guidelines. I think it is the right thing to do.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
01-22-21 01:21 PM - Post#319641    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Could be. My doc also seems to be operating relatively normally, or trying to (interestingly, she called last week to say not to expect a vaccine until late summer, regardless of state-announced eligibility).

I suspect people working on vaccines see lots of worst case data that makes them more conservative than some. Also, I would think that when you are speaking to hundreds of influential people, as was the case yesterday, who will then serve as "information multipliers", the possibility of nuance is diminished enough that you want to send the safest message possible.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
01-22-21 03:17 PM - Post#319654    

Or maybe they are looking these new reports about variants:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/uk-var...

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
01-22-21 05:30 PM - Post#319659    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
she called last week to say not to expect a vaccine until late summer,

So you are in your 30's?

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Re: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
01-22-21 05:51 PM - Post#319660    

I was, at one time.

penn nation 
Professor

01-24-21 01:54 PM - Post#319708    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
Or maybe they are looking these new reports about variants:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/uk-var...

Speaking of which, Michigan has shut everything down:

https://sports.yahoo.com/michigan-suspends-all -ath...

penn nation 
Professor

01-24-21 03:19 PM - Post#319710    

And perusing the DI schedule today, 17 out of 44 games have been postponed or cancelled.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-25-21 11:13 AM - Post#319740    

Staying out of the discussion on this topic other than to share factual data as to number of games played over a longer time period other than one given night as there will obviously be fluctuations on any given night. There are nights where 60% of games played and other nights where over 90% games are played.

Over the past week, approximately 80% of over 300 scheduled games were played. During the past two weeks, a slightly higher percentage of games have been played (approximately 80%) versus the prior two weeks (approximately 75%) as reflected on ESPN scheduling/games played.

Just trying to keep it real.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
01-26-21 10:22 AM - Post#319763    
    In response to bradley

Interesting joint study by NFL and CDC released today:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm 7004e2.ht...

I expect some people will seize upon excerpts rather than consider both the totality and limitations of the report.

The thing that struck me was the extent of activity to create the requisite environment. You can see how a pro league, with a single purpose and awash in money, might be suited to undertake it. Seems to me this task is likely more intensive and expensive than many college sports teams can support, although most big time football teams are de facto pro programs already.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-26-21 10:27 AM - Post#319764    
    In response to sparman

And yet somehow every single D1 conference and many D3 conferences (most of whom are decidedly not 'awash' in money) have figured out how to have a season to the benefit of the student athletes.

penn nation 
Professor

01-26-21 10:57 AM - Post#319770    
    In response to sparman

Interesting as a pilot study. Clearly more follow up work needs to be done as noted before being able to generalize to a larger extent.

On a practical level, large scale contact tracing in this country is simply no longer possible--that ship sailed a long time ago.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
01-26-21 12:47 PM - Post#319778    
    In response to PennFan10

You keep saying this, but you also continuously and pointedly refuse to acknowledge the risks are not solely to the athletes but to those around them that the athletes may infect.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
01-26-21 05:26 PM - Post#319787    
    In response to PennFan10

Is it really to the benefit of the athletes? I'm thinking of the article in the last couple of weeks where college football players seemed to feel used by the $$$$ system.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

01-26-21 07:35 PM - Post#319792    
    In response to sparman

• sparman Said:
You keep saying this, but you also continuously and pointedly refuse to acknowledge the risks are not solely to the athletes but to those around them that the athletes may infect.

Of course. That's a given. Who needs to repeat that, there's hundreds of posts saying that on here. I don't agree with Jeff2sf much but it was he who said:

"because the base case certainly is NOT zero. The base case is that these athletes are going to live their lives and, as young people do, socialize. So it seems plenty conceivable that it would be WORSE for the community if young people have nothing to keep them from contracting the virus. Peer pressure, constant testing, etc. might lead the athletes to make less risky decisions in terms of the virus......If there is data that shows that kids don't contract if there are no sports to play or that community spread is much worse, by all means, share it and this becomes moot. But NBA players went off during the offseason and like 10% of players contracted in 2 months."

Every other D1 conference didn't make a decision to play soley based on money, virus be damned, many of them simply worked through it more thoughtfully than the IL did. Many want to give credit for the IL for cancelling the tournament last march and being the first, the same crew want's them badly to be right again. As the season moves on without us, who else is gonna admit they got it wrong? They could have done something more than they considered doing. (I see you P38). The idea they couldn't move to a level of activity that accommodated a season is lazy and defending it as if we somehow knew more is just too arrogant for me.

I think we made a huge mistake not trying harder to have a safe season for the kids and those associated the impact of that will last a long time

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
01-26-21 07:59 PM - Post#319793    
    In response to PennFan10

Pretty funny but KenPom has Yale as the #101 ranked team in the country followed by Princeton and Harvard.

Page 12 of 22 « First<12131415>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.017 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:53 AM