Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 20 of 22 « First<19202122
Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities        (Topic#24887)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
Re: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
03-16-21 12:42 PM - Post#322121    
    In response to Jeff2sf

To be clear, you were advocating that higher risk category people hang out and hug since being outdoors and partially vaccinated is perfectly safe. Not only that, you called wearing masks outdoors in those circumstances "dumb" and hygiene theater. I'm not arguing whether about the risk of the health issues. I'm just arguing that you were an over-the-line troll, and you could keep it to yourself or let it rest after sharing your opinion. And now I'm arguing you are revisionist.

As a side note, Mike Lee was bear hugging, sweating, and breathing directly on every person at that ceremony. He has not been named, but he seems like a higher probability link in the chain of that event.

• Jeff2sf Said:
there was a large indoor component despite being called "the rose garden event".

https://www.vox.com/coronavirus-covid19/2 1499923/t...

but also to be clear, I'm not advocating anyone hang out in seats that close, let alone maskless, for an hour. seems unlikely that many of us are being invited to those sorts of ceremonies on the reg though.

Edited by Penndemonium on 03-16-21 01:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
03-16-21 01:08 PM - Post#322124    
    In response to Penndemonium

yes i was advocating that vaccinated people (3 adults in the clear, one that would be one week post shot) could hang out outside with their kids. Any non-genius knows that's perfectly safe. stop prolonging this. I'm right. I won't yield.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
03-16-21 01:27 PM - Post#322125    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Remember, I didn't say you were right or wrong. I only said you were being a troll.

Were you born right or did you become that way? How did you become so blessed?

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 01:52 PM - Post#322126    

you keep saying that about the troll thing and then you start talking about the merits of what i'm advocating and talking about covid. So like i said, every single time you write, I'm going to reply. That's happening. If you're cool with it, I'm fine with it. I'm happy to highlight PN's foolhardy hygiene theater.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-16-21 03:04 PM - Post#322132    
    In response to Jeff2sf

There are some items where I'm not comfortable enough with a 95% confidence level, nor are you or anyone else. There are even some items where even a 99% confidence level doesn't do it, either for me, you or anyone else.

For me, coming down with COVID is something I'd rather not risk, thank you very much, given my comorbidities. For others like you, you can afford to have some leeway.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-16-21 03:17 PM - Post#322134    
    In response to Jeff2sf

You're the best troll we've had since BRF, although the difference is that he was actually right about something.

Let's carry on - it's been your general approach anyway on all topics. Good for you. Are you a litigator in life or else someone who never gets to have the lost word in an argument except on this board?

• Jeff2sf Said:
you keep saying that about the troll thing and then you start talking about the merits of what i'm advocating and talking about covid. So like i said, every single time you write, I'm going to reply. That's happening. If you're cool with it, I'm fine with it. I'm happy to highlight PN's foolhardy hygiene theater.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
03-16-21 03:37 PM - Post#322135    

On 60 Minutes this past Sunday, a medical expert showed why current vaccines may not provide protection against variants. Since variants appear to be never ending, I personally will be wearing masks outside for a while. So are >90% of those I pass in NYC every day.

Fortunately, current vaccines appear to provide good protection against the most common variant (B.1.1.7). Very important as this variant is expected to become the most common form of the virus and has a 64% higher fatality rate then the common COVID-19. For those eschewing the vaccine, they do so despite being warned of higher contagiousness and fatality rates.

It's discoveries like these that lead me to fear and respect that which we don't yet know.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 03:46 PM - Post#322136    

• Penndemonium Said:
You're the best troll we've had since BRF, although the difference is that he was actually right about something.

that's both hurtful and untrue.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-16-21 03:47 PM - Post#322137    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:

Internet theatre.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 03:48 PM - Post#322138    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
On 60 Minutes this past Sunday, a medical expert showed why current vaccines may not provide protection against variants. Since variants appear to be never ending, I personally will be wearing masks outside for a while. So are >90% of those I pass in NYC every day.

Fortunately, current vaccines appear to provide good protection against the most common variant (B.1.1.7). Very important as this variant is expected to become the most common form of the virus and has a 64% higher fatality rate then the common COVID-19. For those eschewing the vaccine, they do so despite being warned of higher contagiousness and fatality rates.

It's discoveries like these that lead me to fear and respect that which we don't yet know.

serious question, have you considered that they are just trying to scare you? we don't know what variants are coming along, but the thing is, you never had 100% safety in anything you've ever done.

i fear COVID... unvaccinated. I fear COVID... indoors. But otherwise, bud, you have to live your life. I can't give you 100% assurances about anything.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 03:49 PM - Post#322139    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
There are some items where I'm not comfortable enough with a 95% confidence level, nor are you or anyone else. There are even some items where even a 99% confidence level doesn't do it, either for me, you or anyone else.

For me, coming down with COVID is something I'd rather not risk, thank you very much, given my comorbidities. For others like you, you can afford to have some leeway.

it's not 99%. the chance that you could get covid from three vaccinated adults outdoors when you already have had your 2nd shot for at least a few days is vanishingly small. it's certainly much smaller than you're kids getting it on a crowded plane for 8 hours.

Edited by Jeff2sf on 03-16-21 03:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

03-16-21 03:55 PM - Post#322141    
    In response to Jeff2sf

2 of those vaccinated adults will have flown in from Florida only a few days earlier, with no testing requirements whatsoever for anyone on the flight. Who knows what they might be transmitting to others when in our neck of the woods.

On the international flight for my boys, they and their classmates will all be tested twice, once 12 days before and once 2 days before. If they don't pass both tests they will not be allowed on the flight, period.

Edited by penn nation on 03-16-21 03:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
03-16-21 03:58 PM - Post#322142    
    In response to Jeff2sf

No, I don't think that leading scientists and medical experts are "trying to scare" me. I do think that they are trying to inform me. By the way, the flu vaccine doesn't work against all variants either.

Let me guess, do you think that >97% of scientists are merely "trying to scare" me about climate change?

I believe I already know the answer to that.

Edited by HARVARDDADGRAD on 03-16-21 03:59 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 04:00 PM - Post#322143    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

No, not at all. climate change is real and needs to be addressed.

You all really struggle with a person who isn't an anti-masker covid denier. It's very tough to put me in the box you want to.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 04:04 PM - Post#322144    
    In response to penn nation

that risk (that unvaccinated people could test neg and either contract later and/or already have it and false neg) is much higher.

they aren't transmitting anything to you.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-16-21 04:59 PM - Post#322152    
    In response to Jeff2sf

As much as the Penn fans wanted to deny it, he was right when he predicted the rise of Cornell. We called him a troll though he was seeing a few years ahead of us. You? The Darnell Foreman team? Rob Belcore? Many long treatises from you about those topic.

Did you receive lots of rewards and compliments when you were younger or very few? Just curious.

• Jeff2sf Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:

penn nation 
Professor

03-16-21 05:01 PM - Post#322153    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:

they aren't transmitting anything to you.

It's not clear what the risk is on this point, at least to date. Reduced risk, yes, but hardly zero:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/03/health/cor onavi...

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 05:05 PM - Post#322155    

• Penndemonium Said:
As much as the Penn fans wanted to deny it, he was right when he predicted the rise of Cornell. We called him a troll though he was seeing a few years ahead of us. You? The Darnell Foreman team? Rob Belcore? Many long treatises from you about those topic.

Did you receive lots of rewards and compliments when you were younger or very few? Just curious.

• Jeff2sf Said:
  • Penndemonium Said:

if you predict something every year for 10 years, you have a chance of being right, yes.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

03-16-21 05:44 PM - Post#322159    
    In response to Jeff2sf

BRF always had to have the last word too, so now I'm finally ready to hand the mic to you to close.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

03-16-21 06:54 PM - Post#322170    

i told you, you would not win. Much like Cornell most of the time.

Page 20 of 22 « First<19202122
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.041 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:11 PM