Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 5 of 22 « First<5678>» Last
Username Post: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities        (Topic#24887)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
12-12-20 09:49 PM - Post#317991    
    In response to penn nation

Would Keyonte George, a player who reportedly tested positive (not suspected) in the summer, fit into this section of the guidelines?

- Student-athletes who have a suspected past infection with positive antibody test but negative PCR test,should also undergo a medical evaluation and cardiac testing including EKG, troponinand echocardiogram. Further cardiac evaluation may be indicated based on results of medical evaluation, cardiac testing, or clinical course of past illness at the discretion of the team physician. A period of re-acclimation may not be indicated if the student-athlete has not had any interruption in training but monitoring for any signs or symptoms of cardiac complications from a suspected prior infection is advised. -

rbg 
Postdoc

12-12-20 10:05 PM - Post#317993    
    In response to rbg

https://www.highereddive.com/news/college-football ...

- Professional players assuming certain risks are paid big salaries and have representation to negotiate protections, Edelman (a sports law professor at Baruch College) said. Students do not.

But Edelman doesn't believe they'll raise objections immediately, saying COVID-19-related lawsuits from student players will likely emerge later.

He predicts student-athletes who experience long-term symptoms will sue when they learn that their athletic prowess and prospects are affected. Edelman likened this to legal challenges brought against the NCAA by former college players who experienced medical problems resulting from concussions. The NCAA settled some of these claims to the tune of $75 million last year.

A student death, however, would be a "nightmare scenario" for colleges and their attorneys, especially if it was due to institutional negligence, Edelman said.

College students have died from COVID-19-related complications, including a football player.

Even some NCAA defenders have little positive to say about its decision to let basketball proceed.

Walter Harrison is president emeritus of the University of Hartford, in Connecticut, and a former chair of the NCAA's top governing board. He told Higher Ed Dive he wishes the association had pursued more stringent rules for playing, as opposed to merely guidelines.

But he's also concerned the NCAA couldn't weather the brewing financial storm. When Harrison helped oversee the organization's finances in the early 2000s, the group had enough money reserved to cushion the blow of the cancellation of a single basketball season, he said.

If the NCAA made massive layoffs and other cutbacks, it maybe could survive two season cuts, Harrison said. But he's not sure.

"It's pretty bleak," he said. -

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-12-20 11:30 PM - Post#317994    
    In response to rbg

That document also says that PCRs should be the tests used to determine if someone is positive.

penn nation 
Professor

12-13-20 12:36 AM - Post#317995    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

• HARVARDDADGRAD Said:
It's not just the students, it's the impact/spread in the community. Not to blame the crazy rise in cases on just colleges, but it has to be part of the picture.

This article, for example:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/12/us/covid-c olleg...

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
12-13-20 05:03 PM - Post#318003    
    In response to rbg

The policy posted recommends three tests: EKG, troponin, and echocardiogram prior to returning to play.

The EKG is a crude screen. Insensitive and not always very specific.

The troponin is often elevated in the acute phase of illness, but does not always indicate direct cardiac involvement. The explanation of this is complex. I have not seen any data about the rate of return of troponin to normal.

The echocardiogram is good only if the heart has been weakened. It will not detect inflammation.

The MRI is the best test for any degree of myocarditis, but may be overly sensitive. I.e., some MRI's are conclusive but many are ambiguous.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
12-22-20 09:42 AM - Post#318171    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

A fairly high percentage of games have been played over the past three days. Perhaps, teams are getting a better handle on reducing exposure to COVID or it is just a three day exception. In any event, it appears that NCAAM is moving forward without the IL.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-22-20 04:33 PM - Post#318181    
    In response to bradley

The whole country is moving forward without the IL. Every other school has figured out how to have sports. Even D3 schools are coming back to play basketball and other sports.

penn nation 
Professor

12-22-20 05:28 PM - Post#318184    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
The whole country is moving forward without the IL. Every other school has figured out how to have sports. Even D3 schools are coming back to play basketball and other sports.

You mean they don't care about the consequences. We now have 115,000 Americans with COVID hospitalization (we were at 30,000 around October 1st). We're now averaging over 2,600 COVID deaths per day per week (we were at 700 on October 1st).

If we simply stopped spreading it around so damn much, these figures would at least start to stabilize, if not decrease.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-22-20 06:26 PM - Post#318187    

They have Bryce, Seth, Patrick Tape, Mike Smith, Bruner, Barry and assorted others. No one will think about the IL until they are looking for a dark horse first round upset in the NCAA office pool.

As much as "Trexit" (Trump's exit) turns my stomach, it's providing an inferior replament for winter sports and the daily COVID numbers have become my relevant statistics.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
12-22-20 08:06 PM - Post#318191    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

I am with HGD here, I don’t believe that NCAA basketball has many weeks ahead. I believe it was the great Andrea Bocelli (I believe he played point guard for Dartmouth) “ It’s time to say goodbye”.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-23-20 10:34 AM - Post#318199    
    In response to PennFan10

It is reasonable that different people can draw different conclusions as to what is best for their schools. I do not buy into the notion that all other schools and conferences have a total disregard for the health of their students other than the IL or that the IL is way off base as to what they decided. Obviously, the IL selected a different track than all other conferences.

Whether they made the best decision or not will be somewhat verified by what happens across the country over the next several months.

For me, I was somewhat perplexed that the IL did not even give it a try. It may turn out that the IL made the right decision. Time will tell and reality will be reality.

penn nation 
Professor

12-23-20 10:51 AM - Post#318200    
    In response to bradley

Myocarditis it is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/se c/20...

rbg 
Postdoc

This proves that Covid can be managed at Universities
12-23-20 11:45 AM - Post#318201    

We'll have to see how the UF, SEC and other coaches respond.

12/17/20
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/colle...

- Florida has not confirmed whether Johnson tested positive for COVID-19 when the team had to pause team activities in November because of positive tests, but the Associated Press reported Johnson was one of several Florida players to test positive for the virus during the summer.

"I would hope if there is something related to COVID, they’d let us all know because I have a couple kids that had it earlier," Calipari said. "...If it has something to do with COVID, I would say every coach in the country would like to know if it did." -

Edited by rbg on 12-23-20 11:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

12-23-20 04:47 PM - Post#318214    
    In response to rbg

Yea I am not a big fan of the "IL is right" argument. Never have been. They are as or more reactionary than anyone else when it comes to Covid and sports. Their decision making is much more about where sports sit as a priority than it is about being right or doing the right thing. If NCAA basketball is stopped (it won't be) that won't mean IL was right. To throw a blanket over EVERY other school and say they are wreckless is lazy. Hundreds of schools have been very thoughtful about how to function through the pandemic and give students a chance to continue their education and their passion via sports. The IL didn't even try. IF they had tried and then closed it down first I'd think differently. THat's not what happened here.

Covid death rates are increasing and the virus is bad, but it's not because of well thought out universities plans. If the whole country took the time that some of these non IL schools have taken to carefully consider protocols and safety measures, we wouldn't be where we are.

The IL has not led on Covid when it comes to college sports. They haven't even followed. They just stopped moving.

bradley 
PhD Student

12-23-20 05:17 PM - Post#318220    
    In response to PennFan10

One other observation is that anyone can pick one incident or one medical condition related to COVID and then draw a conclusion that the world should STOP without thinking thru alternatives. There is no guarantee as to what will happen relating to COVID if everything and anything is shutdown but certainly great care and thought should be given to how athletic programs and institutions are being run. Schools certainly realize that there are legal and reputation implications as to continuing to run athletic programs.

I have watched numerous coach interviews in several sports including BB and these coaches live in a world of paranoia but great care. The vast majority of them are clearly motivated to keep playing but do it safely. No one is suggested one ounce of recklessness on the coaching front.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

12-23-20 05:25 PM - Post#318221    
    In response to bradley

• bradley Said:
No one is suggested one ounce of recklessness on the coaching front.

What do you call this:

• penn nation Said:

You mean they don't care about the consequences.

To suggest that everyone in our country trying to play basketball (except the Ivy League) is careless about consequences is just wrong and not representative of the facts on how these decisions were made (or simply not attempted in the case of the IL)

bradley 
PhD Student

12-23-20 06:25 PM - Post#318226    
    In response to PennFan10

Besides the grammatical error, I meant that coaches have been by and far very careful regarding their comments as to dealing with COVID.

They almost uniformly state that they follow the directions of their university's medical staff verbatim. I am sure that a coach or two says something stupid but by and large, they are carefully listening to doctors and taking direction from those individuals with expertise. I doubt that doctors are telling them to play if the team is experiencing any health issues as they are probably very conservative.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
12-23-20 07:57 PM - Post#318232    
    In response to bradley

I would have liked to see Ivy basketball. But to act like other leagues and schools are moving forward with no issues is just silly. There have been tons of delays and cancellations. Temple just played it's first game Saturday. This will be an issue all season just as it was with NCAAF.

Decision was made so time to move on. 2021-22 will be better.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
12-23-20 08:00 PM - Post#318233    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
  • bradley Said:
No one is suggested one ounce of recklessness on the coaching front.

What do you call this:

• penn nation Said:

You mean they don't care about the consequences.

To suggest that everyone in our country trying to play basketball (except the Ivy League) is careless about consequences is just wrong and not representative of the facts on how these decisions were made (or simply not attempted in the case of the IL)

At most of the major schools a majority of the players have probably already had COVID. I would like to think that has not been the case with Ivy league players. So to me the Ivies are helping to slow the spread while other colleges and universities are contributing to the spread.

It will be interesting to see what the problem was with the Florida player who collapsed and was hospitalized. No word yet on the issue.

penn nation 
Professor

12-23-20 08:02 PM - Post#318235    
    In response to OldBig5

• OldBig5 Said:

It will be interesting to see what the problem was with the Florida player who collapsed and was hospitalized. No word yet on the issue.

It had previously been reported that he was one of several players who had COVID over the summer.

Today, the news broke about his myocarditis diagnosis per my earlier post in this thread.

Page 5 of 22 « First<5678>» Last
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.16 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:20 PM