Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Inquirer deal        (Topic#24895)
91Quake 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
11-25-20 08:57 AM - Post#317267    

Offering digital subscription for a year for $29. Worth it just to read Penn sports articles plus all the other good work they do. Tough to argue anyone cannot support local journalism at that price.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
11-25-20 10:56 AM - Post#317279    
    In response to 91Quake

Agree with the thought about supporting local journalism and that is a good price. (As a paper subscriber, that is a LOT LESS than I am paying which is at least a few hundred bucks a year - time to switch?).

However, I take issue with their coverage of Penn sports. Other than Mike Jensen, who DOES give Penn a fair amount of coverage, they virtually never cover our games. Rarely a reporter on the road (even stringers) and they usually just default to an AP story while Nova (admittedly a national program) gets coverage when they tie their shoes. If you look at their extensive coverage of Temple football, especially this year, it's something we never get.

But again, SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISM!

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
11-25-20 12:41 PM - Post#317288    
    In response to SteveChop

Yeah, and they used to cover horse racing in detail too. You and I know that the number of readers they reach by covering Penn games is probably less than they would reach by giving the results at the track. You have to go to alternate media (such as COBL) to find coverage of Penn games.

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
11-25-20 02:42 PM - Post#317298    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Yeah, and they used to cover horse racing in detail too. You and I know that the number of readers they reach by covering Penn games is probably less than they would reach by giving the results at the track. You have to go to alternate media (such as COBL) to find coverage of Penn games.

Yeah, but if they'd open up a betting window at the Palestra, that might change...

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
11-25-20 07:21 PM - Post#317309    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

Yeah, but if they'd open up a betting window at the Palestra, that might change...

Open a betting window? They're not even opening the Palestra anytime soon....
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
11-25-20 08:34 PM - Post#317315    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

I'm a digital subscriber and honestly the Mike Jensen stuff alone justifies the cost. I like keeping up on the other Big 5 teams when I can as well, so that's a bonus.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
11-26-20 07:02 PM - Post#317338    
    In response to palestra38

Or do what I do and GO to the games!

palestra38 
Professor

11-26-20 07:37 PM - Post#317339    
    In response to SteveChop

I go to every home game and a few select road games. But you're willing to go anywhere to see them and I respect that. Now what that has to do about the Inquirer, I don't know...

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
11-26-20 07:59 PM - Post#317340    
    In response to SteveChop

• SteveChop Said:
Agree with the thought about supporting local journalism and that is a good price. (As a paper subscriber, that is a LOT LESS than I am paying which is at least a few hundred bucks a year - time to switch?).

However, I take issue with their coverage of Penn sports. Other than Mike Jensen, who DOES give Penn a fair amount of coverage, they virtually never cover our games. Rarely a reporter on the road (even stringers) and they usually just default to an AP story while Nova (admittedly a national program) gets coverage when they tie their shoes. If you look at their extensive coverage of Temple football, especially this year, it's something we never get.

But again, SUPPORT LOCAL JOURNALISM!

I, too, am a paper subscriber. Just cannot give up the print edition. Despite the cost - $15/week ($780/year) - my wife and I like reading the actual paper every morning.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.152 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 11:33 AM