Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Coach Ralph and the Tournament        (Topic#2536)
bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
02-22-06 05:02 PM - Post#16123    

Coach Ralph makes some interesting points about the tournament in his latest posting to his website.

http://www.coachralphwillard.com/team.html

Scroll past the game recaps to get to his tourney comments.

Anonymous 

Re: Coach Ralph and the Tournament
02-22-06 05:13 PM - Post#16124    
    In response to bison63

I went into this in detail on the HC board but it appears that RW does not understand the RPI formula. I am pretty sure he is incorrect that a win over BU in the conference final would have hurt their RPI, and I don' think he is correct as to how much the loss to us hurt their RPI. Maybe Eric can calculate what a win over us in the PL final would really have done to their RPI and how much the actual loss really hurt their RPI.

jck45 
Junior

Reg: 01-24-06
02-23-06 05:52 PM - Post#16125    
    In response to

Ralph's comments on the turnament are absurd. Ties atop the standings are bound to occur. Does he really want the bid to determined by an RPI tie-breaker or any tie-breaker for the matter? The one thing I do agree with is that having the 1 seed beat up on Army every year does nobody any good. Get rid of the 7 and 8 seeds and give the 1 and 2 seeds a by.

Overall, though, pretty strange comments by Ralph and it makes me wonder if he isn't trying to get into Bucknell's head a little bit.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-21-04
02-23-06 06:01 PM - Post#16126    
    In response to jck45

What about the following?

Round 1: 5 vs 8 and 6 vs 7
Round 2: 3 vs. lower seed, 4 vs higher seed
Round 3: 1 vs lower seed, 2 vs higher seed
Final: winners

jck45 
Junior

02-23-06 06:19 PM - Post#16127    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

I like that option better although I think we can do without the bottom two entirely. Not having everybody make "the playoffs" would also give the regular season a bit more meaning.

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

02-23-06 06:29 PM - Post#16128    
    In response to jck45

Personally, I'm not much of a fan of conf. tournaments, but I think that if you're going to have them, everyone should quality, even if it's weighed in favor of the top seeds, like suggested above.

boxman 

02-23-06 06:43 PM - Post#16129    
    In response to jck45

Quote:

Ralph's comments on the turnament are absurd. Ties atop the standings are bound to occur. Does he really want the bid to determined by an RPI tie-breaker or any tie-breaker for the matter?

It's called the Ivy League
realboxman.blogspot.com - Holy Cross Fan Blog

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

02-23-06 06:44 PM - Post#16130    
    In response to boxman

Ivies play out any tie atop the standings.

boxman 

02-23-06 06:56 PM - Post#16131    
    In response to SFlaQuaker

Right. I'm saying it works.

Anonymous 

02-23-06 07:28 PM - Post#16132    
    In response to boxman

The Ivy system works in its own way, but it also makes a lot of the February games fairly meaningless and eliminates a lot of teams fairly early.

Despite the various criticisms, I like the current format where the top teams get rewarded for their regular season play via home games but don't just get handed a trophy. The only change I would like to see is the one suggested by someone earlier, where only 6 teams go the tournament and the top two get byes. This would eliminate the negative effect on the top team's RPI of having to play #8.

I think, however, that a lot of people talking about the RPI don't really understand how it is used. There are many other factors that the committee looks at, especially in cases where a team is being penalized by winning league games vs weak opponents. One of the other factors is the out-of-conference RPI, which they will look at in cases of teams with great records in weak leagues. Last year, HC was ranked #50 in OOC RPI, a ranking that obviously was unaffected by having to play Army etc. Had they been ranked #25 OOC they probably would have received a bid.

By the way, this is why RW's comments about Davidson (undefeated in league play last year) were irrelevant to Bucknell's situation. Last year, Davidson was 2-8 in non-league play and had an OOC RPI rank of # 184. In other words, they were ELIMINATED from consideration for an at-large bid before they even began league play.

ericatbucknell 
PhD Student
ericatbucknell
Reg: 01-22-06
02-23-06 07:51 PM - Post#16133    
    In response to

Quote:

I went into this in detail on the HC board but it appears that RW does not understand the RPI formula. I am pretty sure he is incorrect that a win over BU in the conference final would have hurt their RPI, and I don' think he is correct as to how much the loss to us hurt their RPI. Maybe Eric can calculate what a win over us in the PL final would really have done to their RPI and how much the actual loss really hurt their RPI.

its not a big enough deal for me to rework all of it, but i can say that hcs rpi would have been 0.0109 points higher had they beaten the bison. this would have put their final rpi at 0.5683, good for 50th, which is better than 53rd, where he claims they entered the game.

on the tournament, i honestly like things how they are this year. it still has a tournament feel (four sites kinda ruins the feel in my mind), each team enters with a chance to win, and the two highest seeded teams are given a nice advantage for their regular season performances. removing the final two teams seems rather pointless unless done purely for rpi concerns. but even then, why draw the line at 6? having only the top two play would likely be even better for rpi.
The Bracket Bustin' Bison are Back!

Okay. First round streak BACK ON!

Anonymous 

02-23-06 08:58 PM - Post#16134    
    In response to ericatbucknell

I really like the way the PL does things now.

There is a strong reward for regular season play with the way home court advantage is divied up. The tournament gives the chance for the lesser teams to rise up. Also, without the tournament, there would be little incentive for the cellar-dwellers to give it their best late in the regular season. With the tournament, there is an incentive to win and improve your seed.

Yes, the tourney doesn't make money, but it also gives more exposure to the league by having a game on ESPN.

Let's keep in mind that w/o a tournament, there would have been no Kansas upset last year.

jck45 
Junior

02-23-06 11:26 PM - Post#16135    
    In response to boxman

Quote:

Quote:

Ralph's comments on the turnament are absurd. Ties atop the standings are bound to occur. Does he really want the bid to determined by an RPI tie-breaker or any tie-breaker for the matter?

I'm at Cornell right now and have read multiple articles in the school newpaper saying something to the effect of "why can't we have a tournament, like the Patriot League?"

SFlaQuaker 
Postdoc

02-24-06 12:11 AM - Post#16136    
    In response to

....for Bucknell. Holy Cross wasn't exactly a bad team last year.

boxman 

02-24-06 12:20 AM - Post#16137    
    In response to jck45

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm at Cornell right now and have read multiple articles in the school newpaper saying something to the effect of "why can't we have a tournament, like the Patriot League?"

Just saying that Willard is not absurd. It exists and it works.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.639 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:05 AM