Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Lehigh Game Officiating        (Topic#2540)
Gmoney89 
Masters Student

Loc: Central NJ
Reg: 01-24-06
02-23-06 01:27 PM - Post#16176    

For those of you who were there or watched the game on TV, Did you think the officiating was one sided? The Box score says 26 PF for LU and 20 for us. That doesn't seem all that unbalanced. But the Lehigh Valley Papers seemed to be whining about no calls and rough play by the Bison. From the first half listening that I did, It seemed like the calls were more against BU than LU. Any Comments?
GMoney89
0-0
2017-2018 Season
0 miles and 0 Games

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Re: Lehigh Game Officiating
02-23-06 01:47 PM - Post#16177    
    In response to Gmoney89

The officiating was fine. The same typical bad calls both ways that we have grown accustomed to in the Patriot League. The Lehigh fans and media are probably griping about two plays. One was when Neptune went hurdling into press row. He may have been bumped by Lee, but if so it was a minor bump. What Lehigh people will not mention is that while on the press table, Neptune grabbed a writer's Sprite and spiked it on the court, causing it to explode and leave a puddle of sticky Sprite. None of the refs saw it, and play continued. Badmus slipped where the Sprite was spilled a few plays later. So, if it was a foul on Lee, then it should've been a T on Neptune.

The second play was a hard fould that Badmus committed on Neptune on a fast break. It was a very hard foul, but Abe was clearly going for the ball. It reminded me of Abe's takeout of Randy Foye last year. Afterwards, Billy Taylor didn't seem to upset by it. In the press conference, he said Abe was just going for the ball, and it should not have been an intentional foul. Again, there was a complementary play the other way. I forget who it was (Abe I think) stole the ball and passed it to Lee for an open fast break. But Olivero intentionally grbbed Abe and they did not call an intentional foul. It was very similar to the Lee foul against Kansas, only this one was WAY more blatant and was not called intentional. However, it is a good thing their was at least a regular foul call, b\c Lee missed the dunk!

npyoung35 
Sophomore

02-23-06 01:49 PM - Post#16178    
    In response to Gmoney89

Throughout the game, and especially in the first half, there were some pretty terrible calls against Bucknell, especially on Chris and Darren when Olivero would drive out of control. The final foul totals are deceptive, because LU probably fouled the Bison about 6 times in the last two minutes, try to stretch out the game. In reality, BU was hit with many more fouls.

Andre Williams of the Morning Call said "The Bison bumped, shoved and hacked away in typical Big East fashion, often without fouls being called." No clue where this is coming from, especially his claim that Neptune was "plowed into press row." From my angle in the front row, it sure seemed like he was going after a loose ball.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-23-06 01:59 PM - Post#16179    
    In response to npyoung35

The Lee "bump" was right in front of me. They made body contact, but it was little more than a love tap. Lee didn't even know Neptune was there. He was turning around to head down court and grazed Neptune as he turned.

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-23-06 02:31 PM - Post#16180    
    In response to BUFan

I watched it on FSC here in Atlanta (which is enough of a miracle in itself) My opinion was that the refs were very inconsistent and that we got much the better of it in the second half. My take was that Bucknell was being very physical and the refs were (properly) letting them play. With about 10 left though the refs switched and started calling it a lot closer, that coincided with Lehigh's big push at the finish and as a result they felt like the game was called against them. The bottom line was that officiating did not decide this game and the better team won, but understand the complaints because the refs did seem to switch styles in the middle.
Ray Bucknell!

BisonKid 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-26-06
02-23-06 04:43 PM - Post#16181    
    In response to atlantabison

I watched the game on FSC as well. While I believe the announcers were "over the top" on criticizing the refs, it did appear that the Bison received the benefit of a few calls or lack thereof. I recognize that the game was broadcast by Lehigh, but the announcers were acting like it was a 1 point game the entire game--failed to give the Bison any credit. At one point late in the 2n half when Lehigh pulled within 4 points, one guy said it was time for Lehigh to retake the lead. What did this mean? The ONLY lead Lehigh had for the entire game was 5-4 in the first 3 minutes!

Anonymous 

02-23-06 05:23 PM - Post#16182    
    In response to BisonKid

I think the officiating was typically horrendous but not at all one-sided. If you watch the tape, for every pro-BU call, I believe you'ss find a pro-LU call as well. For example:

At least one of McNaughton's fouls (the fourth one I believe) was a really bad call. Also, Mgreboff must have fouled ten times off of the ball in the seven minutes he was in. (When they finally decided to start calling what they could have called every trip downcourt, then Taylor had to remove him from the game; there is no way he can guard McNaughton legally even for one trip down court.) Then there was the failure to call the obvious intentional foul that cost BU two points. Also they didn't call Olivero several times that I saw for clutching a player's jersey to prevent him from going around a screen (he's very good at that). Also, although my view was not perfect, it appeared that, when Neptune reached across Badmus' body for the steal that led to the hard foul, he got a lot of body as he reached across. Did anyone see a good replay of that one? They also ignored two different LU outbursts that could well have resulted in technical fouls. ETC

Not saying they favored Lehigh, just that it was typical clueless PL refereeing.

jck45 
Junior

02-23-06 05:46 PM - Post#16183    
    In response to

Nobody this season has been more critical of PL refs than me. That being said, I was at the game and I didn't find it to be that horrendous. Yes there were some bad calls. The fourth on McNaughton in particular was rediculous. But you know, the calls went both ways and there weren't any calls that really changed momentum or the complexion of the game. This really wasn't the type of game that the refs had much of an impact in deciding the outcome.

As for the Lehigh outburts, they also ignored a Badmus outburst where he spiked the ball 20 feet in the air.

BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
02-23-06 07:06 PM - Post#16184    
    In response to jck45

By the way, don't forget that the FCS and WB telecast was a Lehigh telecast, so obviously the announcers were a little biased.

BISON82 

Reg: 02-18-06
02-25-06 02:47 AM - Post#16185    
    In response to npyoung35

Allentown's Paper is far from neutral in its writing. They're about as pro-lehigh as possible. I wouldn't expect much positive commenting from them, especially Williams. The MC game article actually said that this BU team is on a level way beyond anything the PL has ever seen. About a great a compliment as I've ever seen for an "enemy" team in the Lehigh Valley!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.163 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:06 AM