Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Latest "Bracketolography"        (Topic#2550)
BUFan 
PhD Student
BUFan
Reg: 01-24-06
Re: Latest "Bracketolography"
02-27-06 07:38 PM - Post#16234    
    In response to jck45

LSU as the 3 is nice. Georgetown as the 6 is not as nice...

boxman 

02-27-06 10:25 PM - Post#16235    
    In response to BUFan

Just once, I want to see a bracketologist have the balls to give a school like HC, Utah State, or Hofstra an upset auto-bid and have to place Bucknell, Nevada, George Mason, and UNC-Wilmington.
realboxman.blogspot.com - Holy Cross Fan Blog

atlantabison 
PhD Student

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Reg: 01-25-06
02-27-06 10:47 PM - Post#16236    
    In response to boxman

With only S. Fla left on the road to close out the regular season and a national ranking of 20 in each poll and a 22 RPI (KPom), Georgetown should get a top four seed in the big east tournament and play a quarterfinals match with a 5 or 6 seed that had to play the day before. That is not a recipie for ending up as a 6 seed. But I would hate them as a first round draw for us.

SteelCity 
Junior
SteelCity
Reg: 02-04-06
02-28-06 02:06 AM - Post#16237    
    In response to lca1011

Not sure why people would be happy playing Georgetown in the first round. They are a tough, athletic team that has proven they can win big games (remember Duke?). I would be wary of most Big East teams in the first round, they are all battle tested and would be a tough out.

lca1011 
Freshman

02-28-06 02:40 PM - Post#16238    
    In response to boxman

Quote:

Just once, I want to see a bracketologist have the balls to give a school like HC, Utah State, or Hofstra an upset auto-bid and have to place Bucknell, Nevada, George Mason, and UNC-Wilmington.

Boxman, unfortunately, thats not how bracket predictions work. To the best of my understanding, those brackets are what they would look like if the season ended today. Therefore, even though it may be nice to see HC in the bracket, and therefore determine what BU's at-large possibilities are, they wouldn't. Simply because, at this point, BU, as the number one seed is the patriot league automatic bid. If we lost to Army, I am sure that HC would become the automatic bid.

I remember Lunardi addressing this question in a chat, b/c someone had complained that the team currently in the bracket was not likely to win the automatic bid (they had upset two teams in early jan.). He simply stated that at this point in the season, they were the leaders and therefore were listed as the auto-bid.

So, to answer your question, I don't think its a matter of balls, but the methodology they use. I'm sure you can make a bracket predication yourself and put the lower teams in, but its less likely to be accurate.

lca1011 
Freshman

02-28-06 02:45 PM - Post#16239    
    In response to SteelCity

Completely agree. G-town is a very tough matchup.

I understand that people are looking ahead to potential second round matchups, and for good reason, you might as well while we still have the chance. But I guess I'm more of a realist and want the first round matchup which gives us the best chance of winning. Another win in the first round would be amazing, regardless of who we have to play in the second round.

If its a 1/2 seed in the second, who cares? The important thing is getting to the second round and not looking to far ahead.

Anonymous 

02-28-06 03:09 PM - Post#16240    
    In response to lca1011

Quote:

Boxman, unfortunately, thats not how bracket predictions work. To the best of my understanding, those brackets are what they would look like if the season ended today. Therefore, even though it may be nice to see HC in the bracket, and therefore determine what BU's at-large possibilities are, they wouldn't. Simply because, at this point, BU, as the number one seed is the patriot league automatic bid. If we lost to Army, I am sure that HC would become the automatic bid.

I remember Lunardi addressing this question in a chat, b/c someone had complained that the team currently in the bracket was not likely to win the automatic bid (they had upset two teams in early jan.). He simply stated that at this point in the season, they were the leaders and therefore were listed as the auto-bid.

So, to answer your question, I don't think its a matter of balls, but the methodology they use. I'm sure you can make a bracket predication yourself and put the lower teams in, but its less likely to be accurate.

However, it would be nice to see some of these bracketologists list all of the teams in a perceived order as to their viability for an at-large bid. The way it is done now, we have no idea (other than an occasional comment) whether, for example, they think Bucknell would get an at-large bid ahead of UNC-Wilmington or Southern Illinois or Indiana or Colorado etc etc.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 1.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:02 PM