Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: NC State Game        (Topic#25562)
HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
NC State Game
11-10-21 08:50 PM - Post#327988    
    In response to Bison137

Bison 137 I always appreciate your thoughtful and informed replies. Your description of the game is correct. A fast Bucknell start and then a complete blowout without the benefit of their best player.

I think relative to Screen you’re underestimating his contributions but most importantly his potential. This offense should be going through Screen. Period. He’s the best player on this roster with respect for Xander who looked the part of an ACC role player last night. That’s a compliment too.

Screen needs a touch every offensive possession. He’s a matchup problem for most programs not just PL programs. His moves are limited but his athleticism seems much greater this year with a sample size of 1 game.

This will be a very unpopular statement but Funk needs sat if he’s not going to be smarter with his shot selection. Sadly, I bet he has had a green light to shoot for three years. His percentage is terrible and he’s at his most effective driving not from behind the arc.

Timmerman is atrocious.

Edited by HuskyColonial on 11-10-21 09:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
11-10-21 08:54 PM - Post#327992    
    In response to Bison137

I’m not sure why Funk gets a green light to shoot whenever he feels like it…he’s not a good shooter. Since his freshman season, he’s a 29% three point shooter and 39% overall. He doesn’t create for teammates in the slightest. Again, not sure why he is given carte blanche to do as he pleases.

Adoh was a pleasant surprise, Rice has improved. VDH has to rebound much better. Edmonds didn’t look bad. I thought Screen did very well, including making some decent moves. He needs to get far more than 7 shots a game, especially when Funk gets 15. Also, it would help Screen defensively if somebody could stop dribble penetration.

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
11-11-21 10:35 AM - Post#328106    
    In response to MrPhillie

Takeaways for me:
1. NCS had no answers for Screen. They could not stop him, and the PL certainly will not stop him. What will stop him is his propensity for foul trouble. As noted the drop off is palpable when he sits as he did for 12 minutes in the first half. Also remember that this was Screen’s first time competing against P5 competition, and I saw no sign that he was overmatched. If last years 12 game season was a year of competition, then he will have in effect another year of experience b4 the PL kicks in.

2. Adoh looks promising. Let’s hope that he developed as the non league progresses.

3. I thought Rice looks ready to take a step up.

4. Team was too quick to jack up 3s,. I know ND’s system calls for a quick shot if it is there, but we need to make sure it is a good shot. Too many heaves.$

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
11-11-21 06:58 PM - Post#328159    
    In response to bison63

I think we are taking for granted how talented and athletic NC State is. They are an ACC school. As a storied program, we expect to compete in these games; however, to expect our backup center to look as good as our A-10 recruited starting 7 footer is a wish that will never come true. Timmerman, and everyone for that matter, will look worlds different against Patriot League competition than the monsters of the ACC. We got out-atheleted in that game. When we play in our weight class, I think we'll look much stronger.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-12-21 02:47 PM - Post#328228    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

• Bucknellbisonfan21 Said:
If Screen can stay on the floor I think we got a chance with NC States big man Bates hurt and not coming back.

Unfortunately NC State announced today that Bates' shoulder injury is season-ending. Big loss for them.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

11-12-21 08:08 PM - Post#328244    
    In response to Bison137

I feel badly for the guy. Watching in real time it didn’t even appear anything happened.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
11-13-21 07:59 PM - Post#328376    
    In response to HuskyColonial

For comparison, NC State struggled to nip Colgate 77-74 in a game down to final seconds.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
NC State Game
11-13-21 08:05 PM - Post#328378    
    In response to MrPhillie

• MrPhillie Said:
For comparison, NC State struggled to nip Colgate 77-74 in a game down to final seconds.

By the transitive property, that would make Colgate 15 points better than Bucknell - which sounds about right. NCS made two FT's with a tie score and two seconds left to win it. The foul call, on a blocked dunk attempt, was VERY questionable, even to the NCS announcers. NCS tacked on another fT with a fraction of a second left after another questionable (but irrelevant) call on a long inbound pass.

Over the last 15 minutes, there was only one possession where either team led by more than a basket.

Steve 
Freshman

Reg: 08-12-09
Re: NC State Game
11-15-21 09:18 PM - Post#328597    
    In response to Bison137

Yea, you don't call that with two seconds left in a tie game. I wouldn't go so far as to say it was completely egregious, but the referee has to swallow the whistle there.

Is what it is, Colgate played a great game after it looked like they could have been run out of the gym early. I was disappointed with the result but happy with how 'Gate played.

As for 21-22, Cummings is in Burns' role as the top scorer. Ferguson replaced Cummings as a complementary scorer and Lynch-Daniels is the new Ferguson, the top guard off the bench. Records-Woodward rotation is the same, Thomson spells Moffatt.

The problem is that Colgate is running a 7-and-a-half man rotation, with Thomson averaging 11 minutes so far as the 8th man. Lynch-Daniels is the only backup guard being utilized. If there's an injury in the backcourt, I am really not sure where Colgate is going to turn.

But my guess is we see CU at or near the top of the PL standings again.

The town is really into this team -- opener had over 1,000 people see them beat NU. When I went to school there, I am not sure we had 1,000 people combined show up to the 7 PL home games during the season.
Should be a fun year.

As much as I hated the Bison when I was in school (I had good reason, if you look at the history of the teams from 06-10), I root for them now because I like the camaraderie on this board. Hoping for a good season for Bucknell.

Edited by Steve on 11-15-21 09:22 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
11-16-21 03:06 PM - Post#328621    
    In response to Steve

• Steve Said:
I like the camaraderie on this board.

Interesting that you speak of it in the present tense.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
11-16-21 04:49 PM - Post#328625    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

• BisonRoadWarrior Said:
  • Steve Said:
I like the camaraderie on this board.

Interesting that you speak of it in the present tense.

Compared to where the HC, LC, and AU boards got to in recent years, this board is still well-behaved.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
11-16-21 07:48 PM - Post#328636    
    In response to Bison137

There are times comments are a bit strong, but I don’t think it is anything crazy. What is crazy to me is to never expect a fan to say a negative word. Criticism is fair in sports with donors and paying customers. I’m still in my seat at Sojka, but my expectations are far lower than at any point in my time as a season ticket holder. It’s just reality. I hope for better days ahead.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

11-16-21 08:07 PM - Post#328639    
    In response to MrPhillie

I truly appreciate being able to post on this board. It is a fun way to connect to my experiences being a teen who cheered on the Bison in Davis Gym. However if you are a fan of Bucknell sports and cry foul, you get marginalized. And I get that! Then make this an alumni board. Because alumni don’t want to hear this program is dead. But we all know it is. It’s done. Bucknell men’s basketball is in the shitter after being a perennial mid-major power. We all know it.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.846 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:11 AM