Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Bryant        (Topic#25659)
Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
11-26-21 01:08 PM - Post#329851    

Bryant’s rank/status is a little misleading. They only got Peter Kiss back two games ago and he’s only started the last one (in which he put up 35). They lost to a bad Bethune Cookman team in his first game back off the bench but beat up on a similarly bad Holy Cross squad. He’s a touch matchup - I wonder who guards him today.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Bruno 
PhD Student

Re: Bryant
11-26-21 05:44 PM - Post#329859    
    In response to Bruno

Well that sucked. Brown sort of wilted in the face of pressure defense and chippiness. Turned it over a ton off the press which gave them problems all game. I thought they defended well most of the game - this team defends. But the offense is a problem. Wojcik has lost his confidence - passed up a number of shots that our starting 2 guard needs to take. I hate to say it but Choh’s return has yielded better team defense but worse team offense. Another 6-assist game and another poor three point shooting game. This was a bad loss on a number of fronts.

JBears 
Senior

Reg: 06-06-12
Bryant
11-26-21 07:49 PM - Post#329861    
    In response to Bruno

Brown was not prepared to break a full court press. Trouble all night getting the ball in and up the court. Bryant used an aggressive 3-2 extended zone in the half court. Brown rarely got the ball to someone at the foul line so they could either shoot, drive, or drive and dish. Get it inside. That’s how you often break a zone D. On the perimeter, the Bears often needed more space to shoot than Bryant would allow. Bruno is spot on re: Wojcik losing his confidence. Our offense suffers greatly when he doesn’t take his shot, and hit his share. It’s a weapon the defense has to honor, which can also open someone else. Lily seemed to play timidly. He needs time to get off his three point shots, and he doesn’t ‘t shoot off the dribble. Bryant had 4 guards who could stroke threes. They’d go up strong and shoot in the face of a charging defender.

Despite these issues, Brown could have won this hard fought game. They played D very well. Friday played well and made some twisting, turning drives that we exceptional. Ferrari played very well, and really got under the skin the their guards, drawing his usual few charging calls. He drew the fourth foul on Bryant star guard Peter Kiss deep in the second half, which lead him to leave the court arguing, and then kicking over his chair and making a scene. Choh also got into foul trouble. We needed is presence against this physical team. Lastly, MM has to make each player take at least 100 foul shots at each practice!! I don’t have the stats, but we must have missed a ton.

Edited by JBears on 11-26-21 07:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bruno 
PhD Student

11-27-21 12:21 PM - Post#329872    
    In response to JBears

I think with an extended 3-2 you do need to get the ball into the middle - which is an uncomfortable place, for sure - and then either take that short jumper or look to the corners for threes. I don’t think we did that once. Credit Bryant for making us uncomfortable, but we didn’t adjust enough.

How do we outrebound them by 18 and outshoot them by 15 and lose.

I know we have very talented one on one players on this team. But 6 assists is not enough and that’s been a theme for this team of late.

JBears 
Senior

Bryant
11-27-21 02:57 PM - Post#329874    
    In response to Bruno

Some interesting stats may offer some insight to your questions, Bruno. Brown only hit 23 of 67 FGs for 34.3%. Bryant got more out of their 22 FG’s on their 52 shots (42.3%). But the discrepancy on 3’s is telling, with Brown 3 of 18 (16.7%) to Bryant’s 9 for 24 (37.5 %). Specifically, one of their shooting guards shot 4 for 13 on FG’s, but of that was 4 for 12 on 3’s. Conversely, our best shooting guard option, Mr. Wojcik, shot a mere 2 for 7 on FG ‘s and no 3’s on a mere 3 attempts. That certainly speaks to his loss of confidence you mentioned. He seemed tentative all night. Perhaps credit Bryant’s’ pressure, starting at 90 feet, for making him uncomfortable and getting him off his game. But for Brown to be the team they hope to be, Wojcik has to take his 12 to 14 shots a game and hope he hits a reasonable percentage.

Also interesting is that of the Bears’ 50 rebounds, 22 were offensive rebounds. Bryant only had 5 offensive rebounds in their total of 32. So, Brown controlled the defensive rebounds very well. The large number of OR’s, and what caused the large discrepancy in totals, was due to the many put-backs on the offensive boards that didn’t end up with a hoop. (Of Choh’s 21 rebounds, 7 of them we offensive). I think I can count at least 2 or 3 times that Brown had four shots at the hoop within close range that didn’t go in. MM alluded to this in his post game comments when he referred to having good opportunities to score, but they wouldn’t drop. A winnable game against a quality opponent.

With Peter Kiss back, that is going to be a very strong, veteran team. They are physical and play very hard. They were stunned at home in the NEC Final last year, denying them an NCAA bid. All 5 starters have returned from that team. They are gearing up for another shot at the NCAA tourney.

Edited by JBears on 11-27-21 03:00 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
11-27-21 04:23 PM - Post#329875    
    In response to JBears

I guess we should expect a letdown from time to time. The effort was there, as JB says with the rebounding nos., but the execution was mediocre and the shooting was awful. I think we are better than this showing.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
11-28-21 08:26 AM - Post#329904    
    In response to Old Bear

I actually went to the game. Mrs. Go Green's sister lives about 45 minutes south of Providence and I took my kids, my father-in-law, and nephews to the game.

Brown certainly has athletes and talent. But they went ice cold down the stretch and that turned out to be the difference. We will see what Dartmouth does with Bryant today...

In my humble opinion, Pizzitola has not aged well. It certainly could use some upgrades...

palestra38 
Professor

11-28-21 10:53 AM - Post#329914    
    In response to Go Green

Bring back Marvel Gym!

Go Green 
PhD Student

Bryant
11-28-21 12:53 PM - Post#329925    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Bring back Marvel Gym!

I'm not saying that they should raze Pizzitola (although I doubt that any tears would be shed if they did). But there are things Brown could do to it to give it more of a twenty-first century feel.

I'm guessing that the scoreboard is from when the place originally opened. The seat backs were probably recently added (we sat just below the balcony), but the rest of the stands sure look like 1980s-era seating.

Not sure when Pizzitola is in line for the Ivy Basketball Tournament. But it would be nice if Brown made some investments into the place before that happened.

Edited by Go Green on 11-28-21 12:54 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

11-28-21 01:31 PM - Post#329933    
    In response to Go Green

At least it would seat half again as many more fans than Harvard's JV gym...which has been "renovated"

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
11-28-21 01:33 PM - Post#329934    
    In response to Go Green

If you're looking to reminisce about Marvel Gym, you need just look across the green in front of the Pizzitola to the Nelson Fitness Center - the university preserved the cupola from Marvel and placed it atop Nelson. As for Pizzitola, if you're reading this, Dr. Calhoun, I wouldn't say no to a touch up - hopefully that's next on the list after the updates to Meehan Arena.

As for the game, I didn't watch it live, so I can only go off the stats and Bruno and JBears' detailed analysis. We're not gonna win a lot of games when Choh goes 2-10 on shots at the rim and Wojcik doesn't make any threes. For Wojcik, he's shooting about 20% from beyond the arc on the season, which is not going to cut it. Our free throw shooting could use some work too - 58% from the line yesterday, 68% on the season. Choh's rebound numbers are exciting though, and he looks like he might be getting back to full strength. Plenty of time before Ivies to work things out on offense.

Go Green 
PhD Student

11-28-21 05:52 PM - Post#329998    
    In response to Ever True

Bryant has a nice scoreboard.

JBears 
Senior

11-28-21 07:12 PM - Post#330040    
    In response to Go Green

Nice win in OT, Go Green! You sure got Bryant at the right time, after that intense inter-state game with the Bears. Very nice.

Go Green 
PhD Student

11-28-21 07:22 PM - Post#330045    
    In response to JBears

• JBears Said:
Nice win in OT, Go Green! You sure got Bryant at the right time, after that intense inter-state game with the Bears. Very nice.

It *was* an intense game in Providence. Bryant definitely did not play as well against Dartmouth as they did against Brown.

So, thanks for softening them up for us!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.252 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:52 AM