Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Cornell shuts down campus        (Topic#25748)
1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Cornell shuts down campus
12-15-21 02:20 PM - Post#331452    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:

we sent them home to grandma who may or may not be boosted. Grandma is still someone I'm interested in thoughtfully protecting. Not at the expense of everything.

What about Grampa? No one ever mentions me, I mean him.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
12-15-21 02:22 PM - Post#331453    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
You might enjoyMitch Daniels’s commencement speech at Purdue (they kept their campus open last year). Start around 5:05 here:

https://youtu.be/2PaQ9GKDO0c

Thanks for posting this. Food for thought.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-15-21 05:14 PM - Post#331472    
    In response to Jeff2sf

I think we are separated by semantics here. You say we accept risk, I say we recognize and manage it. To that end, I am nagging my adolescent daughters to get boosted and try to avoid large indoor gatherings.

I’m not in favor of institutional over reaction.

What I want to see more of is financial incentives to get vaxed. More companies need to adopt what Delta and Kroger are doing surcharging for unvaccinated employees. Same for the ACA exchanges. They do it to smokers. Why not this?

palestra38 
Professor

12-15-21 05:23 PM - Post#331473    
    In response to Streamers

Because most of the Trumpists live and work in Trumpist bubbles for other Trumpists. You're not going to force the people who reject vaccination in order to Own the Libs to do it through employer mandates. And the courts have made clear they aren't going to do it either.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
12-15-21 06:46 PM - Post#331477    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Based on the letter from Princenton's Administration of 12/14, there was no mention as to any impact on athletics. Let's see if they can the men's and women's game (against Texas) next week.

If I was an IL athlete, I would have little to no trust as to IL Presidents in light of last year. One gets the impression that "optics" are a major factor in their decision making relative to athletics/academics. I must admit that I have a long standing cynical view as to IL President's decision making regarding athletics.

They obviously made the wrong call last year as to cancelling the season but I suspect that they have learned little. If I was a high student athlete, I would think long and hard regarding the IL versus other top flight academic institutions if sports meant a whole lot to me.

Last year, we remember that many posters said that it was just a matter of time when all basketball conferences would follow the IL decision. It was obviously a tough and challenging year for all other conferences but sometimes you learn a lot when facing obstacles and challenges.

Let's see what the IL Presidents, individually or as a group, decide to do.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-15-21 09:54 PM - Post#331480    
    In response to bradley

P38, I hear you and understand your motives better now regarding masks and shutdowns. Now that I understand, I'm also more agreeable to the viewpoint - the politics, not the health policy. Still, do you need to respond to every single message from others with alternate options? This is just a basketball newsgroup. Can you try to win your views on a Covid-19 policy board instead? It's not the actual opinion - it's just too much. You have been heard - some agree, some do not. I just don't want to read the same opinion again and again. It wastes all of our time. If this is your only outlet to be heard on these viewpoints, write a letter to the editor of a paper or something like that where real policy might be impacted. Discuss with your family and friends. Write a letter to the Ivy League. Write to the University presidents. Even post once in a while about this. Just spare us the number post on this - please! I try not to initiate posts with opinions on covid-19, but sometimes I feel compelled to weigh in when it gets too much. It is an endless loop with no real purpose other than to pound views at us. If you need to repeat again and again, let's make it about basketball. To be honest, that's the only reason I come here. I don't really care about sharing or receiving anyone's covid viewpoints here at all - other than just wishing everyone here safety.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
12-15-21 10:59 PM - Post#331486    
    In response to Penndemonium

As a practical matter if omicron starts making its rounds and lots of saunders get infected that will include athletes. So they will be unable to play under the rules until they meet protocol requirements and that may cause some games to be postponed or cancelled. It's already happening in the NBA and NHL.

I am not in favor of shutting things down but if this new variant is as contagious as some believe it will be, schools will have to shut down as their staff will also be catching it (talking about PK-grade 12). I think other parts of society can continue on. Those of us who are older or more vulnerable will be more careful. I know I attended a basketball game in Orlando about a month ago. I would not do that now. Everyone's choice.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Cornell shuts down campus
12-18-21 08:29 PM - Post#331590    
    In response to OldBig5

I was checking in on today's NCAA scores and oh boy. There are a LOT of canceled games around D-I. And a lot of teams who are playing without multiple starters due to positive covid tests - that's going to skew NET rankings unfairly.

The Selection Committee will have to do a deep dive in March to take pandemic absences into account.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
Re: Cornell shuts down campus
12-18-21 11:47 PM - Post#331593    
    In response to gokinsmen

As you suggest, Selection Committee should consider but it will be a challenging task.

Today, 86 men's game were played and 13 cancelled. Women, over 50 games played with 4 cancellation. Over the next two days,12 to 15% of men's games cancelled; less than 10% of womens although these numbers can change over time.

Let's see how IL reacts. We can only hope that good judgment and decision making prevails???

Last year, approximately 20 to 25% of men's games cancelled with less than 20% of women's games. Time will tell.

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
12-19-21 04:31 PM - Post#331620    
    In response to bradley

Harvard announced that they're going remote for first three weeks of January, but AD confirmed that athletics will continue as planned for the time being - https://twitter.com/WillMcCormack_/status /14722581... that's a good sign for the rest of the league.

I would hope that, with conference play just around the corner, the league has a good shot of making it through the season. Most Ivies are mandating boosters, meaning teams should be as protected as possible. The weekend schedule should mean that you can test during the week to ensure teams are in good shape prior to traveling/hosting. At this point, I do think the league can safely complete the season, but of course, that could change.

Hope you are all staying safe and are able to see your loved ones this holiday season.

welcometothejungle 
Masters Student

Reg: 07-31-19
12-21-21 04:25 PM - Post#331705    
    In response to Ever True

https://twitter.com/YaleAthletics/status/ 147335299...

Yale announced that home games will go without fans until New Years, starting with this Thursday's MBB game against Howard.

Barring a full cancelation, I think it'd be hard for the Ivy League to handle this situation worse than the Big East has so far. Rather than postponing games due to COVID, the Big East is handing out forfeits for teams who aren't able to play due to COVID protocols. Seton Hall, for example, is officially 1-1 in Big East play without stepping on the court

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-21-21 04:41 PM - Post#331706    
    In response to welcometothejungle

Forfeits for the pandemic? I’d heard threats for forfeits and loss of pay if unvaccinated, I think it was for the NFL.

I guess the medical team is now more important than the rest of the staff and players.

No fans is starting to look prudent. Recent UK study concluded that Omicron is no less impactful than Delta. No idea if that’s correct, but prudent to take precautions.

Going to be another long winter.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-27-21 04:15 PM - Post#331868    
    In response to Jeff2sf

• Jeff2sf Said:
honestly, I don't really like to be this strident. Unlike virtually all of you, I risked my health in the vaccine trial because I wanted to help out. I believe in the science and I've also got my eye on Omicron.

But there are people, Penn Nation being the best example, who have shown they are as intransigent as the COVID deniers when it comes to relaxing restrictions even in the face of "Good" numbers. Since I can't trust them to act in good faith, I have to oppose their lack of guts.

Guess what, Mr. Bacon?

I was out of town visiting a loved one in a hospital's critical care unit last week (non-COVID issue). Or trying to, anyways. It was COVID central--COVID patients completely overwhelming the unit and multiple nurses rushing to rooms and slamming doors.

When I first got there, they allowed 2 visitors per patient per day (and you couldn't leave and come back later). But after a few days, they trimmed that down to 1, given that staff and patients (!) were getting infected (or reinfected) by family members who WERE NOT MASKED and/or unvaccinated. So I was unable to visit at that point.

And now, today, there NO visitors allowed in the entire hospital network (and another network in the area). It is crucial for my loved one that this visitor be allowed in the room as this will assist the recover room, but no matter--no exceptions for now. People are still acting as if COVID is someone else's problem.

Please get vaccinated. Please wear masks indoors. The more this spreads, front line workers and those exceedingly vulnerable to COVID will get affected as well. Hospitalizations will continue to increase and in more and more places they are getting overwhelmed.
And in my own case, this has had a profound effect on a family member's treatment at multiple hospitals.

HARVARDDADGRAD 
Postdoc

Loc: New Jersey
Reg: 01-21-14
12-27-21 06:58 PM - Post#331873    
    In response to penn nation

Just watched a sports reporter recount how spoke to connections at the NCAA today. They apparently are wondering if everything from the bowl games to the final four will happen

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-22-04
12-27-21 09:46 PM - Post#331886    
    In response to HARVARDDADGRAD

Sorry your family member is sick.

But…

It’s time to stop preaching. You’ve lost the high ground.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/statu s/...

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
12-27-21 10:09 PM - Post#331887    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Stop putting me down, man.

Now the loved one is in isolation because an employee just tested positive for COVID (so can't visit this person even if visitors were allowed).

You're the one with the constant gumption to say "get vaccinated" and move on with your life.

Guess what?

It's NOT SO FRIGGIN SIMPLE--so STFU. PLEASE.

Not with so many who are either unvaccinated (including those under 5) and those who refuse to mask.

Folks like these are making my life and the lives of too many others far more complicated.

I've been in heart of COVID Central for 9 hour stretches. How dare you presume to know how risk averse I've been.

Seriously.

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

12-27-21 10:18 PM - Post#331888    
    In response to penn nation

I think you just need to take the L and move on. I’m sorry your loved one can’t have visitors but your preaching/whining isn’t accomplish anything here. Why don’t you agree to never talk about covid again and I’ll stop telling you why you’re wrong? Seems fair to me

Jeff2sf 
Postdoc

12-27-21 10:21 PM - Post#331889    
    In response to Jeff2sf

Notes covid denier LeBron weighs in. https://www.instagram.com/p/CX4GnUfP0um/?utm_me diu...

This is what PNs stubborn whining fails to take in. You’re losing the center. Because PN is so unreasonable and scared, people in the center aren’t taking guidance from them. So he screams louder and more panicked and drives people away quicker.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.48 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 08:30 AM