Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: ND Replacement Options!        (Topic#25838)
The Psycho of Sojka 
Sophomore

Reg: 11-15-15
01-08-22 03:24 PM - Post#332708    

-John Griffin back at Bucknell, but as the head coach would be great.
-DP just took an analyst job on USA Network, but could always come back.
-Tim Jankovich from SMU. His contract is up at the end of the season. Granite he is rolling about $2M a year or so currently at SMU. Definitely could be a good get if the price is right!

Edited by The Psycho of Sojka on 01-08-22 03:40 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
Re: ND Replacement Options!
01-08-22 03:44 PM - Post#332713    
    In response to The Psycho of Sojka

• The Psycho of Sojka Said:
-John Griffin back at Bucknell, but as the head coach would be great.
-DP just took an analyst job on USA Network, but could always come back.
-Tim Jankovich from SMU. His contract is up at the end of the season. Granite he is rolling about $2M a year or so currently at SMU. Definitely could be a good get if the price is right!

Note that Paulsen's gig for USA is just a sidelight. His main job at the moment is as a "special advisor to the head coach" at Fordham:

https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-basketbal l/r...

That doesn't mean he won't be open to head coaching offers at the end of the season however. One thing to consider is that by all accounts the main recruiters during his tenure were Dane Fischer and Aaron Kelly. Neither of them is currently available to come with him.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
01-08-22 03:47 PM - Post#332714    

My first choice would be John Griffin
Aaron Kelly
Ryan Ayers

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-08-22 03:49 PM - Post#332715    

• The Psycho of Sojka Said:

I don't see Jankovich as even a remote possibility. SMU is having a good season and they will likely extend him. If not, he could get another job at a higher salary than Bucknell would pay a head coach. Also he is 62 years old.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
ND Replacement Options!
01-08-22 03:55 PM - Post#332718    
    In response to bisonmania

Bucknell seems to look at successful Div III coaches…Dave Wellman - Nebraska Wesleyan, Matt Lewis - Wisconsin Oshkosh, Pat Miller - Wisconsin Whitewater, or Kevin App - Williams. I don’t know much about these guys but D-3 is often where Bucknell looks.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
01-08-22 04:28 PM - Post#332721    
    In response to MrPhillie

Fire Davis this week, bring in Paulson as an interim coach and salvage the season and perhaps make some noise in the tournament. Paulson brings his asst. Duane Simpkins to take over duties next year.
John Griffin is a winner and would fit in like a glove. He knows enough people to support him and has good Pa. recruiting connections..
Stephen Kaspar wrote a basketball book and could be the next basketball genuis. Hit him up for an asst. job.
There are multiple other choices I wish I was the one making it but someone has to sit in Sojka and clap. So thats what I shall do.

Bucknellbisonfan21 
Masters Student
Bucknellbisonfan21
Loc: Bloomsburg
Reg: 11-12-15
01-08-22 04:43 PM - Post#332725    
    In response to Paulie777

Ryan Ayers has had some legal trouble so he won’t be an option most likely. As far as D-3 option go how about Bettencourt?

bisonmania 
Masters Student

01-08-22 04:49 PM - Post#332729    
    In response to Bucknellbisonfan21

Ayers was completely cleared.

bison63 
Postdoc

01-08-22 10:57 PM - Post#332886    

Not sure what Truax position is, but the guys who went looking for Dlll coaches are not the ones looking now. Rick Hartzel went after Flannery, who was a Dlll guy with a Bucknell history. Hardt I twent for Davis, when hindsight now tells us the clear choice was Dane Fisher. Davis also had a Bucknell history. So if it’s to be a Dlll guy with a BU connection, that is clearly Bettencourt. As far as Griffin is concerned Truax unlike his predecessors in would have to be willing to hire someone with no head coach experience, although the Bucknell connection is clearly there. My concern about Griffin is he’d only be here until the St Joes job opened up. Maybe that should not be a concern, Hofstra got great mileage out of Jay Wright before he inevitably went to be Villanova.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-08-22 11:34 PM - Post#332895    

• bisonmania Said:
Ayers was completely cleared.

Yes and no. The charges were dropped because the accuser decided not to testify after the judge made some uncalled-for remarks about her and looking forward to seeing the nude pictures. The prosecution tried to have the judge removed, but failed. Despite the charges being dropped, I think his future in coaching is nil.

Note that this was the second similar charge that has been made against Ayers by different women.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-08-22 11:37 PM - Post#332896    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
As far as Griffin is concerned Truax unlike his predecessors in would have to be willing to hire someone with no head coach experience, although the Bucknell connection is clearly there. My concern about Griffin is he’d only be here until the St Joes job opened up. Maybe that should not be a concern, Hofstra got great mileage out of Jay Wright before he inevitably went to be Villanova.

There are a few ways the St. Joes situation could go. If they are fairly successful, then Billy Lange may stay there for many years. And if they crash and burn, then Griffin's association with Lange's program might make it hard for SJ to hire him. So the best thing for him might be to get out and then hope the program slowly sinks after he has been out for a few years. Or hope that Lange is wildly successful and gets a higher-level job - which I think is unlikely.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-08-22 11:45 PM - Post#332897    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Not sure what Truax position is, but the guys who went looking for Dlll coaches are not the ones looking now. Rick Hartzel went after Flannery, who was a Dlll guy with a Bucknell history. Hardt I twent for Davis, when hindsight now tells us the clear choice was Dane Fisher.

Don't forget that Truax hired Woodruff as the head coach for the women. All of his experience was D3. He also hired a women's lax head coach a couple of year ago who only had D3 experience.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
01-09-22 12:10 AM - Post#332903    
    In response to Bison137

Paulsen was a D3 guy who did pretty well. I just meant Bucknell has a long recent history of being the first D1 HC job for a number of coaches whose only previous HC experience was D3: Valvano, Flannery, Paulson, Davis. Woollum didn’t have any HC experience and he worked out pretty well.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-22 12:40 AM - Post#332910    
    In response to MrPhillie

here are some brief bios of a few possible candidates:

D3 COACHES:
- Kevin App – in his 8th season as HC at Williams. Overall record there of 122-55. was assistant at Army under Zach Spiker prior to that, following assistant jobs at Cornell and Williams (under Mike Maker). Played for Cornell, graduating in 2007. Age 37.
- Josh Loeffler – in his 5th season as HC at Johns Hopkins. Overall record of 75-19. Coached Jesse Flannery. Was assistant at Loyola (MD) for four years before that, which followed assistant jobs at Rutgers (DOBO), Lafayette (4 yrs), and Williams (under DP) – plus two years as HC at Stevens. Played for Swarthmore, graduating in 2003. Age 41.
- Tim Sweeney – in his 3rd year as HC at Connecticut College (one of which was cancelled) after 5 yrs as HC at Hobart. Poor record in his 1.5 years at CC, which is one of the tougher jobs in the nation. Was 84-48 at Hobart. Previously he was an assistant at Rochester, Davidson, Bucknell (DP’s first year), and four years at Elon, including being their Associate HC. Played for Rochester, graduating in 2003. Age 41.
- Landry Kosmalski – In his 10th season as HC at Swarthmore. Overall record there of 164-75, including 137-26 in last six years. Swarthmore was 25-99 in the five seasons before he took over. Was a five-year assistant at Davidson over two tenures plus coached overseas. Played for Davidson, graduating in 2004. Age 43.
- Josh Merkel – Nathan Davis’ successor at Randolph-Macon, now in his 7th season. Was also HC at Salisbury before that. After going 13-14 in his first season at RMC, was 100-23 thereafter. Prior to his HC jobs, he assisted four years at Eastern Kentucky (Jeff Neubauer) and one at RMC (ND). Played for Salisbury, graduating in 2001. Age 43
- Matt Logie – In his 3rd season at D3 Point Loma in San Diego. Has 40-16 record, after going 174-35 in eight years at D3 Whitworth University. Got to five straight NCAA Regionals at Whitworth. Not sure if he and his wife have any interest in leaving the West Coast. Was a Lehigh assistant and Associate Head Coach for six years plus a year as DOBO. Played for Lehigh, scoring 1524 points, and graduated in 2003. Age 41.
- Kevin Bettencourt – In his 8th season at Endicott in Massachusetts. Previously was assistant at Bentley for six years and Salem State for one year. Overall record at D3 Endicott of 133-55.
- Antoni Wyche – In his first season as Notre Dame assistant. Was assistant at Siena for two years and at Lehigh for ten. Played for Notre Dame, graduating in 1999. From the Albany area. Age 44.

ASSISTANT COACHES:
- John Griffin – Associate HC at St. Joes. Previously was Assistant at Rider, Bucknell, and St. Joes. Previously worked for Indiana Pacers. Bucknell grad in 2007. Age 36.
- Jamal Brunt – Associate Head Coach at VCU. Previously was assistant and Associate Head Coach at Richmond for eight years, assistant at Miami for three years, and is in his fourth year as VCU assistant. Started his coaching career for two years as assistant at Randolph-Maco, which is his alma mater. Age 41.
- Nat Graham – Associate Head Coach at Penn. In his 8th year at Penn. Previously was assistant for four years at Boston College and five years at Cornell. Also coached in Canada for two years. Graduated from Penn in 1997. Age 47.
- Duane Simpkins – Has been assistant at GMU for past seven years. Prior to that, was assistant at UNCG for three years. Played overseas for a number of years after graduating from Maryland. Age 47.

OTHERS:
- Mark Prosser – In his first year as HC at Winthrop, after three years as HC at Western Carolina. Although Bucknell should be a better job than Winthrop, I don’t think he would be interested at this point. Age 42.
- Dave Paulsen – Probably won’t get offered anything higher than a mid-major if he still is interested in coaching. Can he recruit without Dane Fischer and Aaron Kelly? Age 57.
- Pat Chambers – unlikely - but not a bad coach. I think he got kind of a raw deal at PSU, but La Salle vetted the situation and took him on as an assistant this year. Was HC at PSU for ten years and at Boston U for two years. Record at Boston U was 42-28, then about .500 at PSU – which is a very hard job. Was assistant for Jay Wright at Villanova for five years, including time as Associate head Coach. Native of the Philly area. Age 51.
- Pat Flannery – I would guess no chance. Age 64.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
ND Replacement Options!
01-09-22 12:47 AM - Post#332911    
    In response to Bison137

Of the above, I think my top choices might be Griffin, Loeffler, and Kosmalski, followed by App. Logie is an interesting candidate but I doubt he would leave the west coast. I like the very successful D3's who also have a fair amount of experience in D1 recruiting - preferably with scholarships. Sweeney and Bettencourt aren't bad candidates either. And the only negative about Merkel is the Randolph-Macon connection. But his resume is good.

Having said that, it is impossible to make a judgement by looking at a resume. You need a couple of extensive interviews and some recommendations with good follow-up. And in a search process, there would undoubtedly be some interesting assistant coaches. Bucknell is still a good job - although ND has tarnished it a bit.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
01-09-22 12:32 PM - Post#332940    
    In response to Bison137

Griffin would be my choice for obvious reasons with Bettencourt a notch below. From the list above I like App, Loeffler, and Brunt. Not so much a Chambers fan after watching him at PSU…emotionally he is polar opposite of Davis but often too much of a screamer…not to mention the cause of his dismissal at PSU. But really it doesn’t matter if Bucknell isn’t willing to eat some owes money to Davis….or if they even feel a change is warranted.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
01-09-22 03:55 PM - Post#332972    
    In response to MrPhillie

Thanks for that research Bison 137. Why isn’t John Sanow on that list? That’s a joke. I can’t believe he’s still in coaching other than that Bloomsburg athletics is a joke now.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-22 04:40 PM - Post#332976    
    In response to HuskyColonial

• HuskyColonial Said:
Thanks for that research Bison 137. Why isn’t John Sanow on that list? That’s a joke. I can’t believe he’s still in coaching other than that Bloomsburg athletics is a joke now.

Daniel is 21-43 over his last 2 1/2 seasons. He is likely neck and neck with Nathan Davis.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

01-09-22 04:52 PM - Post#332977    
    In response to Bison137

Jamion Christian should be added to the list. He’ll be fired after the season but I think he’s a good coach.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
01-09-22 05:13 PM - Post#332978    

• HuskyColonial Said:

Gave up on Bloomsburg basketball years ago when Sanow wasn’t let go. He’s awful and his teams are generally bad. Year after year after year, but apathy from the AD. I thought maybe, just maybe, McFarlane would run things better but that doesn’t seem to be the case. How Sanow is still getting paid to coach basketball is beyond anyone with a brain.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-09-22 06:39 PM - Post#332982    

• HuskyColonial Said:
Jamion Christian should be added to the list. He’ll be fired after the season but I think he’s a good coach.

I'm not so sure he will be fired for another year - although his team's performance has certainly been poor. But he reportedly has two more years left at maybe $500,000 per year, and if there isn't a cheap buyout, then GWU may not want to swallow that sort of pill. In the past few years, they paid at least $650k, maybe more, to settle with Lonergan. And then they fired Maurice Joseph after two years of a five-year contract. That probably cost them the better part of $1,000,000 - which they may still be paying.

I too like Jamion, but his team's results have been a lot poorer than I expected at all three spots. One other thing is that if Bucknell hired him, he might bolt very quickly unless there was a really prohibitive buyout in his contract. I could see him jump at the chance to get back to the DMV area. An opening at Towson, William & Mary, or even Delaware would likely see him sending his resume. Maybe even a level lower, like UMBC.

DoCtoR62 
Masters Student

Reg: 05-18-08
01-09-22 09:12 PM - Post#332988    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
  • HuskyColonial Said:

I'm not so sure he will be fired for another year - although his team's performance has certainly been poor. But he reportedly has two more years left at maybe $500,000 per year, and if there isn't a cheap buyout, then GWU may not want to swallow that sort of pill. In the past few years, they paid at least $650k, maybe more, to settle with Lonergan. And then they fired Maurice Joseph after two years of a five-year contract. That probably cost them the better part of $1,000,000 - which they may still be paying.

I too like Jamion, but his team's results have been a lot poorer than I expected at all three spots. One other thing is that if Bucknell hired him, he might bolt very quickly unless there was a really prohibitive buyout in his contract. I could see him jump at the chance to get back to the DMV area. An opening at Towson, William & Mary, or even Delaware would likely see him sending his resume. Maybe even a level lower, like UMBC.

Regardless what happens at GW, this would not happen. Jamion and Nathan consider each other among their closest friends in the coaching fraternity, so much so that you might recall they ended the Bucknell-MSM series because they didn’t want to coach against one another. I know Jamion well and don’t see him wanting to replace his friend who just got fired, especially with some of the BS personal insults directed at Nathan by Bucknell fans. References to buffets, frosty’s, et.al are classless!!

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

01-10-22 11:22 AM - Post#332996    
    In response to DoCtoR62

Since you brought up being classless, let’s talk about that. I think classless is literally stopping coaching in the middle of games and sitting with your arms folded while kids run up and down the court aimlessly. Classless is being paid over $300,000 a year not including additional benefits to do absolutely nothing differently game after game after game and expecting a different result.

Poking fun at a grown man’s weight is childish for sure even if it’s a metaphor for how well compensated he is without results. But if cracks about Davis spending too much time at Hoss’s are the problem here, I’ll stop mentioning that and I’ll focus on more classy things like the transferring players, declining season ticket sales, and the 22-39 record over the last three seasons without Paulsen’s recruits.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-19-22 11:11 PM - Post#333754    

Bump

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

01-20-22 09:13 AM - Post#333765    
    In response to Bison137

Forgot we started this. Thanks.

mcapodee 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-29-06
01-20-22 10:44 AM - Post#333769    

Bring DP back

vic42 
Freshman

Reg: 10-20-08
01-20-22 01:43 PM - Post#333786    
    In response to mcapodee

Dane Fischer would be a great pick. He knows the Bucknell mindset & the student athlete types to recruit. He was the main recruiter for DP & seemed to be the only one DP would talk to during games. Maybe W&M would let him out of his contract.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

01-20-22 01:59 PM - Post#333788    
    In response to vic42

I am all in on the John Griffin hire. I might be biased because I personally know him. But I feel he would be a great hire! He would bring back the good brand of basketball fill seats and talk to the fans! Plus he speaks very highly of Bucknell.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-20-22 02:04 PM - Post#333790    
    In response to vic42

• vic42 Said:
Dane Fischer would be a great pick. He knows the Bucknell mindset & the student athlete types to recruit. He was the main recruiter for DP & seemed to be the only one DP would talk to during games. Maybe W&M would let him out of his contract.

I like Dane, but so far things haven't worked out for him at W&M, so they might be happy to see him go elsewhere. This year they are ranked #346 and have a record of 3-14.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

01-20-22 04:49 PM - Post#333809    
    In response to Bison137

Here's one.

https://www.wfsb.com/news/high-school-girl s-basket...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-21-22 07:31 PM - Post#333898    
    In response to Paulie777

One up-to-date stat. Bucknell is now #349 in the nation defensively. (There are 358 D1 schools - including eight that are still transitioning from D2/D3.) Defense is very much a function of coaching.

Also #355 in forcing turnovers. You can't make this stuff up. Hopefully Jermaine Truax knows something about basketball.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
01-25-22 06:17 PM - Post#334249    
    In response to Bison137

Is a pattern beginning? When will the next one fall?

Announcements from the office of the AD. Jeremy Cook is announced a day after the new Field Hockey recruiting class is introduced.

The timing of Lisa Francisco's leaving seems odd.

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2022/1/20/womens -go...

https://bucknellbison.com/news/2022/1/25/buckne ll-...

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
01-25-22 06:23 PM - Post#334250    
    In response to Bison54

It's very disappointing seeing Jeremy Cook leave. He had done a very good job, and just announced what seems to be a strong recruiting class.

Can we convince Nathan Davis to step down also?

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
01-25-22 08:28 PM - Post#334251    
    In response to Bison137

• Bison137 Said:
Can we convince Nathan Davis to step down also?

I doubt it, especially if there is $300k or more remaining on his contract for next year.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

01-25-22 11:53 PM - Post#334259    
    In response to Bison89

I think the Administration will let his contract run out and then do a dopey job search in which the hire is obvious.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
02-07-22 11:17 AM - Post#335697    

Tough decision. "Recycled," ex-Bucknell coaches not the answer. Bringing back a coach with a losing record, as most have, not a good look for recruits. Someone who has coached at a higher-level school likely has not been successful and wants to do well for as short a time as it takes for them to get another big job. Bucknell has a history that goes back to Jim Valvano of supporting basketball and being a great place to accelerate a career. Likely our next coach has not been mentioned on this Board.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
02-07-22 07:48 PM - Post#335763    
    In response to HoleinOne

Hiring successful D3 coaches is definitely a pattern at Bucknell.

river rat 
Sophomore

Reg: 12-01-06
02-09-22 02:32 PM - Post#335908    
    In response to MrPhillie

What about thinking big and stealing Matt Langel from Colgate?

bison63 
Postdoc

02-09-22 06:04 PM - Post#335923    
    In response to river rat

Out of courtesy for another PL member that would never happen. But even if we would be willing to do that, why would Matt Lange make what is at best a parallel move, and at worst a step backwards?

JPM 
Masters Student
JPM
Reg: 05-20-08
02-13-22 08:28 AM - Post#336276    
    In response to MrPhillie

One of the great mid-major bball programs is in shambles.

The program needs a reboot.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

02-13-22 04:09 PM - Post#336362    
    In response to JPM

Shaun Smith Kentucky State comes to mind. In another universe where I am the Bucknell AD I call him today and offer him the head coaching job. He gets Bucknell back on track and moves on to Div. 1 basketball greatness. How hard is this all?

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
02-13-22 04:38 PM - Post#336373    
    In response to Paulie777

https://unofficialnetwork s.com/2022/02/11/bison-ch...

Does this say it all????

Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
02-13-22 04:55 PM - Post#336379    
    In response to JPM

If ND is NOT fired at the conclusion of this season, this program is destined for a long stretch of failure. We will again have our better players transfer out, without the ability to replace them via the transfer portal. Even if we can make up for it with really strong recruits, they will most likely not be ready to play their first year at the level required to win games. The AD must recognize that the portal takes away and gives back for most teams, but mostly just takes away from Bucknell even in the best of times due to our strict academic standards and lack of graduate programs. We MUST keep our recruits for 4 years, or it just won't work in this climate of college basketball.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
02-13-22 05:50 PM - Post#336401    
    In response to Scotty-14

If there is no change at season’s end, I will most likely join the hundreds of seasons ticket holders who already did not renew tickets this year. I don’t mind have a down year or two, but I need to feel that better days are coming. I just don’t feel that with current staff.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
02-16-22 09:49 AM - Post#336571    
    In response to Bison137

Agreed. Watched SMU numerous times while living in Dallas area. Great coach that could have taken several higher level jobs. At 62, he seems happy making his $2M a year and living the good life in Dallas.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.518 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:34 AM