Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale        (Topic#25885)
Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
01-17-22 08:15 PM - Post#333612    

Would've loved to be in the Pizzitola for this one tonight.

I want this team to do well, regardless of the circumstances, but I would love nothing more than for this year's team to make a run for Tamenang Choh. He is balling out thus far and it's clear how much this final chance with Brown means to him. 28 points and seemed like he willed this team back into the game. I think he got screwed with the foul call that led to Yale going up by four, but what do I know.

Decent game from Wojcik. Felt like Lilly struggled with the additional defensive attention that he got, but still managed to get to 11, thanks to some good work at the free throw line. Hurts to get zero points from Friday.

We've got to get back to winning ways next week at Columbia. We know need to pick up an additional road win - either at Cornell or at Yale - in addition to holding serve the rest of the way at home to make it to eight.

Ever True 
Junior

01-17-22 08:16 PM - Post#333613    
    In response to Ever True

*30 from T. Choh

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Yale
01-17-22 08:45 PM - Post#333617    
    In response to Ever True

Hard to watch. Do just enough keep it close and lose by only a few. I wouldn’t have believed 1-4 a month ago.

Choh truly great and Lilly entitled to an off night. But Wojcik plays half games: every time he hits few shots and gets himself excited he fizzles. Knocks him off his game. Friday distributes well but his offense is too inconsistent and it’s hurting them. Cowan has hit I think one shot since Harvard. And Mitchell has felt a bit like playing 4 on 5 on offense.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Ever True 
Junior

01-18-22 12:19 PM - Post#333663    
    In response to Bruno

I'm disappointed by 1-4, but not necessarily surprised. According to Kenpom, we've played the toughest conference schedule thus far - if you look at the league standings, the top four have played the easier schedules - Princeton has played the easiest schedule thus far - and the bottom four have played the toughest. The question is whether we can take advantage of our home games like Princeton has. If we go 4-3 at home, as was the case in 2019 and 2020, I don't like our chances.

I took a look at some stats yesterday night - a couple things stand out:

1. We are uncharacteristically bad on the boards right now - we're allowing opponents to grab offensive rebounds on 29% of available rebounds, which is worst in the league. This has to be a point of emphasis against Columbia, as Nweke and Harding are two of the better offensive rebounders in the league, if they play.

2. We're not turning teams over enough - we're getting steals on 8% of defensive turnovers and forcing non-steal turnovers on 7.7% of defensive possessions, which are 6th and 7th in the league, respectively and well below the D-I average.

3. Bruno, you mentioned Mitchell's invisibility on offense, but I think we're really being held back by Dan Friday. 28% of our offensive possessions end with him, which puts him in the top 10 in the league for usage. His Offensive Rating is a 70.6, which is not only the worst among players with a similar rate of usage, but is among the worst Offensive Ratings for qualified players in the league. Only Columbia's Robbie Stankard and Mitchell are less efficient. He is certainly a great distributor, but is still turning the ball over too much and isn't getting to the line enough or shooting the three well enough to make up for that. I like what he brings on the defensive end, but line-ups with him and Mitchell are an offensive nightmare right now.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Yale
01-18-22 04:01 PM - Post#333682    
    In response to Ever True

Thanks for that data.

I love Mitchell, and am glad he’s on our side. Nose for the ball, a guy people don’t like trying to score against. He just isn’t giving enough on offense. He’s made 5 shots in his last 10 games. Can’t have it - no matter what else you’re bringing to the table.

There’s no question something needs to change with Friday. He is turning it over too much and he’s just missing too many shots. He is at his best going to and around the hoop but his post ups haven’t been falling lately, and they’re not getting him to the line as much as I would have thought. Nobody can handle him down there but the shots do need to fall or get him to the line. His distribution hasn’t waned - we still need him for that.

To your point - not sure they can both be on the court together for extended periods.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:48 AM