Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
Username Post: Yale        (Topic#25894)
Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
01-23-22 08:13 AM - Post#334120    
    In response to Chip Bayers

when are we going to be allowed back in the palestra?

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
01-23-22 08:32 AM - Post#334121    
    In response to Charlie Fog

It appears that all you have to do is donate and join the Above the Rim Club. Those guys were all there yesterday.

So $2500 will do it. Don't know how that is consistent with keeping everyone out for reasons of public health, but that's what is happening.

Charlie Fog 
Masters Student

Loc: Philly
Reg: 11-12-13
01-23-22 09:35 AM - Post#334124    
    In response to palestra38

that is ridiculous if true

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-23-22 09:48 AM - Post#334125    
    In response to Charlie Fog

It’s 100% true. I identified at least a dozen well known, long time Penn fans seated courtside. All of them are Above the Rim Club members and none of them has any personal relationship with current Penn players. Penn’s disgraceful public stance of excluding the general public under the guise of public health, but allowing in its high paying donors, is worse than hypocritical. It’s dishonest and possibly a sanitary risk. It’s even worse than Princeton’s ridiculous policy of allowing only its own students, staff, and players’ families because at least they admit what they are doing. Penn is just lying about it.

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

01-23-22 10:17 AM - Post#334127    
    In response to LyleGold

Everyone obviously is glad that Jordan Dingle had a big game. He is clearly our best player and yesterday was the best player on the court for either team.

He’s been in a little bit of a funk. I actually blame SD a bit for the way he’s handled Jordan’s playing time. It started against Columbia.

Jordan is our horse. When you have a horse, it’s best to ride that horse. If he has an uneven 1st 5 minutes, you let him sit for a couple and then put him back in and tell him to go to work.

The same people who complain about shot selection seem very happy when the ball goes in or he gets to the line.

Jordan should be taking 20 shots a game on this team. If a team overcompensates for him, others clearly need to fill in.

Our defense is what it is. Penn players grinded against Yale, but good players get penetration and we have very limited rim protection. The key for Penn is to score the ball. As I mentioned before 75 points seems to be the magic number. I don’t see us getting there without Dingle leading the offense for most of the game.

palestra38 
Professor

01-23-22 10:24 AM - Post#334128    
    In response to AsiaSunset

Agree 100%. But I believe that we can improve on the defensive boards...we just need more aggressiveness. Smith and Slajchert both had balls ripped away from them after they had rebounds--that cannot happen. If the refs aren't calling fouls on the boards, we need to toughen up and give as much as we are taking.

But Dingle is great--probably the best player in the League. He certainly can do things Swain cannot. And we have to ride a player like that. we need to cut back on allowing Mosh to go 1 on 1, however.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-23-22 10:28 AM - Post#334129    

• palestra38 Said:

But Dingle is great--probably the best player in the League. He certainly can do things Swain cannot. And we have to ride a player like that. we need to cut back on allowing Mosh to go 1 on 1, however.

I'm not sure I fully agree. We had a great player in AJ as well. But he only became great when he got better at recognizing the double teams and getting the ball to open teammates.

palestra38 
Professor

01-23-22 10:30 AM - Post#334130    
    In response to penn nation

Dingle can do things AJ could not, especially in the open court. AJ was a great Ivy center. Dingle is a great player, period.

penn nation 
Professor

Yale
01-23-22 10:34 AM - Post#334131    

• palestra38 Said:
Dingle can do things AJ could not, especially in the open court. AJ was a great Ivy center. Dingle is a great player, period.

Agree that if Dingle is in the open court to ride him. But when opponents game plan to shut him down in the half court he and the team need to adjust.

Edited by penn nation on 01-23-22 10:35 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Yale
01-23-22 10:43 AM - Post#334133    

They shouldn't be able to do it because Slajchert is also very tough in the half court if not doubled and Charles, Smith and Martz are all very effective 3 point shooters. Problem is we often have too many other guys taking too many shots, along with giving up too many second chances. But we have a mix of players that should be very tough to beat at our level....demonstrated by a beginning to end defeat of the consensus favorite.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-23-22 10:45 AM - Post#334134    
    In response to LyleGold

• LyleGold Said:
You really think letting those guys in helps give us a home court advantage? Seriously? You know who they are. They sit there and make about as much noise as I do when I’m asleep - and I don’t even snore. It’s just more hypocrisy coming out of our athletic department.

What? Did you miss hearing Stan screaming for a 3-second call?

LyleGold 
PhD Student

01-23-22 10:49 AM - Post#334135    
    In response to Streamers

It was muffled by his mask.

penn nation 
Professor

01-23-22 10:50 AM - Post#334136    

I'd be interested to see a breakdown here, but at least in my faulty memory Slajchert and Dingle aren't often on the court at the same time.

• palestra38 Said:
They shouldn't be able to do it because Slajchert is also very tough in the half court if not doubled and Charles, Smith and Martz are all very effective 3 point shooters. Problem is we often have too many other guys taking too many shots, along with giving up too many second chances. But we have a mix of players that should be very tough to beat at our level....demonstrated by a beginning to end defeat of the consensus favorite.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
01-23-22 11:00 AM - Post#334137    

• palestra38 Said:

Can we stop overthinking things? We count on DIngle as much as we counted on AJ. When you lean on a hero, there is going to be some hero ball and all that goes with it. When the opposition overplays your hero, the hero needs to dish. AJ mastered that over 4 years. Dingle likely will too. There is little on a court that kid cannot do.

Also, can we give SD a little credit. I thought he has his best game of the season yesterday.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Yale
01-23-22 11:03 AM - Post#334138    

So you don’t want Dingle to improve his passing (or even think about it) off of penetration? You think he has a mature game that has reached its peak? The fact that our best player has significant margin to develop into a potentially transformational one is cause for optimism. Taking a “Let Dingle be Dingle” approach won’t get him there.

I think the AJ analogy is accurate. The great center vs. great Ivy player is a difference without a distinction. (Or is it the other way around?) For Dingle to become a great leader who helps raise the team to its maximum level, he’ll have to find ways to involve them more. That will actually help open things up for him, as well. That’s what AJ did.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

01-23-22 11:09 AM - Post#334139    
    In response to Streamers

Great point about SD, Steve. If he had been summarily fired after the Princeton game, as the rising tide of hysteria began to demand, we wouldn’t be bickering over whether Dingle’s 31 point performance was proof that he should be left alone.

TheLine 
Professor

Reg: 07-07-09
Yale
01-23-22 11:12 AM - Post#334140    

Two big reasons why Penn won :

- Foul shooting. Penn was 85% while Yale was 68%

- Penn had only 6 turnovers. Only 3 were by the players (Dingle, Slajchert, Smith, Williams) who were running point. Dingle's 2 TOs with a 42% usage rate is pretty remarkable.

Speaking of which, 30% is an ultra-high usage rate; 42% is crazy. I don't blame Dingle but it is a limiting factor of the team that he seemingly has to carry this heavy a load on offense. I have no solution because I haven't found evidence that a lower usage rate from Dingle results in better things out of Penn.

Chip Bayers 
Professor
Chip Bayers
Loc: New York
01-23-22 11:26 AM - Post#334141    
    In response to TheLine

Under-rated piece of Dingle’s play yesterday was his season high 6 defensive rebounds. We need all of our guards hitting the glass like that, given that’s one of the team’s biggest weaknesses on D.

Speaking of which, in conference-only play Penn currently has the second-best defense in the league per KenPom, behind only Yale (which has more randomness in their numbers since they’ve only played half the number of games the Quakers have so far). First in 2-pt. % allowed, 2nd in 3-pt. % (On the randomness front, #1 Yale through three games has an outrageous 21% allowed on 3s.)

Keep that up during the road-heavy second half of the schedule and they’re in the playoff.

penn nation 
Professor

01-23-22 11:32 AM - Post#334142    
    In response to LyleGold

It is indeed a difference without distinction in that AJ led the team in quite a number of statistical categories.

91Quake 
PhD Student

01-23-22 11:36 AM - Post#334143    
    In response to Chip Bayers

I think that answer to the 42% usage rate lies in the other players.

Martz needs to stay on the court- other teams are taking him outside with faster players and then he picks up cheap fouls.

I loved an aggressive Jelani on the offensive end but it comes and goes.

Smith should be demanding the ball more. Maybe tough to do as a freshman?

Jonah Charles looks better on both ends when not just standing still at the 3 point line.

Page 7 of 10 « First<78910
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.016 seconds.   Total Queries: 8   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:03 PM