Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Username Post: Princeton        (Topic#25933)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
01-26-22 09:23 AM - Post#334263    

After a not-terribly inspiring performance from most of the team against Columbia (but a fantastic 37 from Swain and a very quiet but also excellent 20 from Gabbidon), the Bulldogs go to a gym/aircraft hangar that has treated them well in recent years.

I think Princeton is going to have trouble staying in front of Yale's perimeter players. Yale has a lot of quickness outside and I suspect they'll make heavy use of it here. The question in my mind becomes defense: can they keep to their defensive keys? If so, I think Princeton will have some real trouble.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Princeton
01-26-22 10:04 PM - Post#334332    
    In response to iogyhufi

We're not a good defensive team so we're gonna give up lots of easy drives to the hoop. The hope will be to trade 3s for 2s, combined with a positive TO and Off-Reb differentials. So far, it's been a mostly winning formula.

Yale will have to decide whether or not to double Tosan in the post. Double teams lead to open 3s. Single coverage allows Tosan to score 2s easily. The latter is usually preferable, but it also leads to foul trouble for opposing bigs.

So far in Ivy play, the starting bigs who defended Tosan finished the game with: 5 fouls, 3 fouls, 5 fouls, 3 fouls, 4 fouls.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Princeton
01-27-22 01:36 AM - Post#334339    
    In response to gokinsmen

The turnover numbers I suspect will be a bit harder to sustain against a Yale team that is 1) more athletic than Princeton, and 2) not prone to turnovers like, e.g., Cornell. The young guys to have a tendency to try to make ridiculously difficult passes unforced, though, so that might goose the numbers back up. The work on the defensive glass has been off and on, as befits a team with so many young guys, and it's a real concern I have about this game.

It'll be interesting to see how Yale decides to guard Evbuomwan; Yale has a lot of depth in the post (in the sense that they have a lot of players who've seen meaningful minutes at some point this year), so it might honestly make sense to go the old "everyone's got 5 found to use" route.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
01-27-22 03:02 AM - Post#334341    
    In response to iogyhufi

Always a nervous-making game in recent years.

I have a continuing beef with MH's refusal to play more zone defense. My observation is that an aggressive zone that plays out to the three-point line on the ball side would make a lot of sense for a team with perimeter length and quick hands but slow feet laterally. The one time PU got really far behind, the 1-3-1 bailed them out. Man or zone, PU only gets on runs when the opponent turns it over; opposing shooting percentages are alarmingly high.IF Yale is good at driving, it will get to the rim, as the man defense is very focused on stopping threes and boxing out.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
01-27-22 08:53 AM - Post#334345    
    In response to SRP

If we are 5-0 and the opponents' shooting %'s are "alarmingly high" our shooting %'s must be stratospheric. You have been a proponent of zones as a change of pace when needed and I certainly do not disagree. The evidence supports the observation. Necessarily, when the "man defense" concentrates on stopping the three ball it will give up a lot of twos. The key for Princeton, and I think MH is all in on it, is to make more threes than the other guy, which we are well equipped to do. Swain is an excellent driver and may have a field day if Llewellyn can't go. I'll trade 9 threes for 13 twos any time.

SRP 
Postdoc

Princeton
01-27-22 02:23 PM - Post#334379    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

The offense has been excellent. Lights being shot out, etc. A few more FTs made and some of the close wins would have been a bit less close. Aside from getting lots of good looks by good shooters, turnovers have been low and timely OFRs havel helped the cause. Tosan’s been a nightmare for defenses, and at least two other guys have had good games each time out. It’s the 56th best offense on KenPom. The defense is 291st.

Edited by SRP on 01-27-22 02:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
01-27-22 07:19 PM - Post#334401    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
It’s the 56th best offense on KenPom. The defense is 291st.

Where does Yale stand with these parameters?

SRP 
Postdoc

01-27-22 08:24 PM - Post#334406    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

Right now Yale is 158th in both.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
01-29-22 09:12 PM - Post#334705    
    In response to SRP

When mbeng gets a jumper he will be an Ivy terror. Big and strong and gets downhill fast.
Gave Llewelyn a little too much room at the end. Should have pushed his for 2 like he did going over screens all night.
Huge potential for that kid. Catholic league. But go iac!

SRP 
Postdoc

01-29-22 09:49 PM - Post#334712    
    In response to james

Another tough (mentally and physically) Yale team. Better defense at the rim against Tosan than I've seen before. But PU has too many good 3-point shooters to keep them all down--Llewelyn's finish was amazing, just not quite enough to compensate for missed free throws. The inexplicable reticence to apply ball pressure and get in the passing lanes until it was almost too late played into Yale's hands.

james 
Masters Student

01-29-22 11:15 PM - Post#334722    
    In response to SRP

mbeng and knowling. Two first years on the road. then u add basa ama who will be a beast in this league over time wi the his athleticism and touch.
Mbeng has more natural athletic ability than gabiddon I think. And look what the latter has become in this league.
we have flaws this year but nice to see a win against a good team on the road when swain doesn’t score 20+

james 
Masters Student

01-29-22 11:16 PM - Post#334723    
    In response to james

Hope Garrett Johnson figure his hip out. He will also be a terror n this league ehs baby!

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

01-29-22 11:53 PM - Post#334727    
    In response to james

Fantastic team win today on the road against a good team. I disagree with the Princeton posters who think Princeton had a bad shooting night apropos of nothing - Yale played excellent defense, especially in the first half, and simply didn't give up many clean and easy looks for Princeton's shooters. Tough to hit your good looks later when you're forced into bad ones early Yale had a game plan and they executed it very well, and fortunately they had enough of a cushion to survive 12 straight points from Llewellyn.

Fantastic game from Matt Knowling tonight; I agree with James that he's going to be trouble as he gets more experience under his belt. It's really nice to see Yale win tough games when Swain isn't dominant, because that's almost certainly what they'll need down the stretch to be successful.

james 
Masters Student

01-30-22 03:50 PM - Post#334784    
    In response to iogyhufi

Knowling is a silky smooth and a nightmare for an Ivy 3/4 in the post. He also is left hand dominant but hasn’t mattered yet
The question over time is can he extend his game and develop his right hand so that they can slide him down to a 3 from a 4 and just play matchups. he then becomes more like a Choh type player.
This would help yale immensely to bulk up interior for non-league competition to get back to level a few yrs ago particularly for rebounding/defensive purposes.

james 
Masters Student

01-30-22 03:51 PM - Post#334785    
    In response to james

His wingspan allows him to play 6’7/8 so regardless in this league that helps.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
01-31-22 07:52 PM - Post#334882    
    In response to iogyhufi

Princeton's poor performance in the first half of many of their games is not hard to explain. Tosan has been in early foul trouble in game after game, usually as the result of stupid fouls. With Tosan out, Yale didn't worry about anyone down low, so they concentrated on the 3 point line. With Tosan in the game in the second half, things change as opposing teams now have to defend the interior.
I don't feel that bad however, as I believe that Yale has more talent than Princeton and is overall a better team.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
01-31-22 07:59 PM - Post#334883    
    In response to jeromelh

Tosan had a lot of success until recently stripping opponents of the ball and initiating fast break scoring opportunities. In the last few games, refs have been (often inappropriately IMHO) calling him on these efforts, leading to his foul trouble. He probably needs to recalibrate his thinking and resist the urge to reach in and strip the ball.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-01-22 12:48 PM - Post#334913    
    In response to TigerFan

Point is well taken but I can't blame the refs. Tosan must be more self aware. Mitch Sat him with 2 PFs vs Dartmouth with 7 minutes to go in first half. Rolled the dice with 3 minutes left. Seconds later a reach in sent him back to bench. Played second half wisely.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Princeton
02-01-22 08:13 PM - Post#334956    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

I often forget that he's a second-year player despite being a junior. This is also a guy who didn't even play organized basketball until 15! He's got serious pro talent, but he's still learning, which is an awesome thought.

I got no problem with the Yale loss - nobody was going 14-0 this year. We missed too many wide-open 3s in the first half even when Tosan was in the game. Whatever, it happens.

Still think we're the Ivy favorites and I can't wait for the Yale rematch! Or should I say rematchES, plural. I got a feeling the Ivy Tourney comes down to a 3rd P-Y showdown.

bradley 
PhD Student

Reg: 01-15-16
02-01-22 09:56 PM - Post#334965    
    In response to iogyhufi

I agree with you that Tigers poor shooting in the 1st half was primarily due to the best defense that the Tigers have faced to date. Yale contested everything and also did a good job of containing Tosan especially in the 1st half. Tigers missed a few open 3 pt shots in the 1st half but not many.

Yale also took advantage of Princeton's size and posted up often. Friberg and Langborg were often overmatched in the 1st half.

Tigers learned to get off shots quicker in the 2nd half and eliminated additional ball movement which normally works to their advantage.

Not surprising that Yale played very tough D. Mitch needs to go the drawing board prior to the rematch. Yale is not a good match up for the Tigers but anything can happen in one game.

Page 1 of 2 ALL12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.226 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:43 AM