Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell        (Topic#25944)
rbg 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-20-14
01-28-22 03:11 PM - Post#334442    

Saturday's game vs Cornell has been moved to Sunday at 11:00 am due to the snowstorm.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Cornell
01-30-22 12:52 PM - Post#334754    
    In response to rbg

First off, that’s got to be the best half of basketball the Big Red has played this year. Just a great performance on both sides of the ball. Very aggressive on both ends. So some of that is just them playing incredibly well, especially on the boards.

But this half is an indictment of Brown’s offense when there’s extended ball pressure. They are rushing the ball handler and overplaying and Brown isn’t driving or backdooring hardly at all. They have four FT attempts. That makes no sense given how aggressively Cornell is playing.

And can we get some rebounds? No reason this team should outrebound us.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
01-30-22 12:54 PM - Post#334755    
    In response to rbg

I hope that’s our worst half of basketball out of our system. 25 points on 38 possessions is abysmal. We’re playing this game exactly the way that Cornell wants it - it’s too high tempo, we’re rushing our offensive possessions, leading to turnovers or bad shots that lead to Big Red fast breaks.

This is really a must win for us if we’re trying to make it to the tournament - just feels like another de facto playoff game that we’re not showing up for. Big second half to come.

Ever True 
Junior

01-30-22 02:12 PM - Post#334769    
    In response to Ever True

Welp.

It's the hope that kills you.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Cornell
01-30-22 02:17 PM - Post#334771    
    In response to Ever True

Yes just when I’m ready to get out they pull me back in.

It’s a great win for Cornell that they did not quite deserve given how they caved in the 2nd. I think a replay of the block that set up the game winner from under the basket would show the last touch was Patel and not Gainey. But they found a way and played an incredible first half. And when you let it be that close in a league game at home, Brown didn’t leave any room for error.

Brown played a fabulous 2nd half. Two eye-openers from the game. First was that zone press. Who knew? That was the difference in the half. And the second was Meren running point. The offense performed differently with him up there and of course it seems to free up Lilly some.

I was yelling at the screen when after tying it up they stopped pressing and even then became tentative on offense. They had them on their heels and then let up. It was the breath Cornell needed, because they were backpedaling big time and were on the ropes. Honestly at that point Brown needed to win it and they couldn’t.

I fear that may be it on the tourney. They had to have it one way or another. Disappointed as a fan and for them. But it was a great half of basketball to watch.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Edited by Bruno on 01-30-22 02:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-30-22 02:21 PM - Post#334774    
    In response to Bruno

Yeah, I thought when Choh went out with 4 fouls that was going to be it.

Not a chance.

3rd team this weekend that did a great job with ball pressure in the second half to get themselves back into a game, even though none of those teams ended up winning in the end.

Lilly is ice. What a weapon.

Ever True 
Junior

01-30-22 02:43 PM - Post#334778    
    In response to penn nation

When Ferrari went out with his fifth, I figured that we were gonna fold, given how much energy he brings. Loved to see that they didn’t, but this is just one more game where we dig ourselves a hole, fight all the way back, and then can’t pull it out.

Love to see Meren play such a pivotal role in this one - I’d hoped he would break into the rotation earlier, but he really willed us back in. I also really liked Wojcik’s energy today, especially on defense. In some ways, it’s sort of symbolic that we lost this one on a second chance put-back. The front court was supposed to be our calling card in Ivy play this year and to get out rebounded by a Cornell team whose big men, on paper, shouldn’t lay a glove to us, is tough to swallow.

Brian Earl would be my pick for COY at the half-way point - based on their roster, I didn’t think they would be a factor at all, and they have proved me and many others dead wrong. Maybe there’s some craziness in store that will help us sneak into the tournament this year, but it is definitely an uphill struggle from here.

Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
Cornell
01-30-22 02:49 PM - Post#334779    
    In response to Ever True

Cornell was 21-22 from the line. Brown 17-25.

Edited by Old Bear on 01-30-22 02:56 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
Cornell
01-30-22 04:29 PM - Post#334790    

3rd team this weekend that did a great job with ball pressure in the second half to get themselves back into a game, even though none of those teams ended up winning in the end.

Yes, but Penn used ball pressure to overcome a 13 point 1st half deficit at Harvard to take a 7 point lead at the half. If you’re going to cite H’s second half comeback that fell short, don’t ignore Penn’s first half one that proved ultimately successful. Pressure D that gets a W is equally important regardless of when it happens.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
01-30-22 05:02 PM - Post#334797    
    In response to LyleGold

It was relatively mild ball pressure--started picking up the dribbler once the ball was inbounded. I just rewatched the first half--there were no backcourt traps, nor were there any frontcourt traps once crossing the half court line.

Compared to what the Ivy home teams all did in the second half (very serious ball pressure in both the half court and front court), it was not nearly as intense or effective.

Penn made 10 of 11 shots--that's what got them back in the game.

Edited by penn nation on 01-30-22 05:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

LyleGold 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-22-04
01-31-22 10:32 AM - Post#334850    

I didn’t say backcourt pressure. We’re really not a pressing team. I’m talking about defending them once they got into their offense. Go back to about 11:00 in the first half and take another look at that. I noticed a change almost immediately and then the announcers remarked on it as well. That triggered the change in momentum. Hot shooting obviously was important, as well.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.346 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:58 AM