Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Tommy Amaker        (Topic#26035)
penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-15-22 10:52 PM - Post#336556    
    In response to SRP

• SRP Said:
It's also possible that Scheyer is some sort of prodigy, and K believes that his legacy would be better preserved with him in charge. HIs first recruiting class is ranked #1, so at least that might not be a problem, although Coach K's residual presence could be distorting things.

He has zero head coaching experience and even at Duke has only been at the associate head coach level for a couple of years.

It's somewhat mystifying that someone like that would even qualify as contending for this position.

TigerFan 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
02-16-22 12:07 AM - Post#336558    
    In response to penn nation

So K didn’t weigh in with the Duke administration against TA or he did and the administration just blew him off and offered TA the job? And then he talks TA, who presumably interviewed for the job, into not taking it when it’s offered? This is just weird.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-16-22 12:18 AM - Post#336559    
    In response to TigerFan

I've got nothing per se against Scheyer. Been following him since his high school days when he was part of an all-Jewish starting five at Glenbrook North to win the IHSA title.

But this just seems so weird, doesn't it?

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
02-16-22 12:48 AM - Post#336561    
    In response to penn nation

Scheyer probably reminds Coach K of himself. Most of us default to hiring people like ourselves unless we have enough self awareness to know that different types can work as well. It's really an impossible situation for the kid--he should have run from it.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-16-22 01:27 AM - Post#336562    
    In response to TigerFan

Amaker is a better man than I, because I would've told that crusty old fossil precisely where he could stick his preference. For that matter, Amaker could've made life very unpleasant for Coach K and Duke if he'd chosen to do so, because the optics of this are absolutely brutal (if the article is to be believed). Frankly, after what Coach K did to him, he'd have been well within his rights to do so.

(I think that staying at Harvard is probably the best career move for Amaker, loathe as I am to admit it. He will never ever ever be fired, he's proven that he can consistently put together strong teams at this level, and it seems as though he and the missus are happy with their position.)

Also, and I apologize for my bluntness here, he's already failed at the helm of two separate Power 5 schools. Duke is the crown jewel of coaching jobs in terms of the infrastructure in place, and Duke shouldn't have to settle for anything less than the best possible hire. I really don't think that Scheyer was that guy based on his inexperience, but I digress.

sparman 
PhD Student
sparman
Reg: 12-08-04
02-16-22 08:58 AM - Post#336564    
    In response to iogyhufi

I don't know why anyone would want to be the successor to K. Not just because he's an abusive control freak (or as I have called him, a dyspeptic rodent), but because it will be impossible to satisfy Duke fans accustomed to his success.

People around Maryland grouse about joining the Big 10, but they forget the ACC was run as the All Carolina Conference for years, with K as godfather.

palestra38 
Professor

Tommy Amaker
02-16-22 09:02 AM - Post#336565    
    In response to iogyhufi

That's why I made the reference to the Godfather horse's head scene. We don't know what Coach K told Amaker, but it had to be stronger than "I promised Scheyer that he would take my place" after Duke offered him the job.

palestra38 
Professor

Re: Tommy Amaker
02-16-22 09:08 AM - Post#336567    
    In response to palestra38

And it appears Scheyer got his first win yesterday as K left due to illness at halftime. But watch that winning putback--only Duke gets the offensive interference call reversed there.

https://www.aol.com/sports/dukes-mike-krz yzewski-r...

Condor 
PhD Student

02-16-22 11:00 AM - Post#336575    

This is not to seem disparaging to TA in any way. I think he is an excellent recruiter and a good coach. However, I would ask you all this. If you were Duke, would you be looking for a great recruiter or a great coach. Obviously, any coach needs to do both. However, Duke is an easy sell. I would think the emphasis would be on coaching. In Coach K’s defense, he might honestly believe that Scheyer would have the greatest probability of success based on coaching alone. Further, even though Coach K is retiring, you still want him to be an ambassador for the program, i.e., you want to keep him happy. That they would allow him to take the lead shouldn’t be surprising.

Beyond that, I think we all agree that following a legend is always a challenge and may be biased with failure or at least an inability to satisfy the fan base.

palestra38 
Professor

02-16-22 11:18 AM - Post#336576    
    In response to Condor

All true, but it ignores that Duke did its due diligence and then offered Amaker the job. It was only the last second intervention of Coach K after all of this already happened (and he had to know about it) that the "phone call" took place and Amaker declined the offer. Still a lot missing.

Condor 
PhD Student

02-16-22 12:32 PM - Post#336579    

I agree with you P38, but it still seems like we are getting 3rd hand information someone within the Duke sphere. I am not certain we really know what happened yet.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
02-16-22 01:20 PM - Post#336581    
    In response to Condor

It's not hard to imagine how Coach K feels he owns the program and has the right to weigh in on his successor, wants to preserve his legacy, and *might* think that someone is better for the job than Amaker. Since Amaker was going to need to be an assistant coach under Coach K for a year, Coach K might have even felt honor bound to say that he favored another one of his assistants. That in of itself would have made it tough to leave Harvard. Just a theory.

Wow. My 2nd post on the Harvard board ever. Harvard basketball has arrived.

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.239 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:07 PM