Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Cornell II        (Topic#26072)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
02-23-22 08:43 PM - Post#337432    

After braving the hinterlands of western New Hampshire yesterday, the Bulldogs get to go to the other Ivy League hinterlands this Saturday to take on a Cornell team with much to play for on Senior Night. A Cornell win means that Cornell is all but clinched for the tournament, whereas a Yale wins puts the pressure on Princeton to win out.

Yale has a sixteen-game winning streak currently going against the Big Red spanning nine calendar years, and Brian Earl has never managed a win over the Bulldogs. Which is not to say that things have come easily in Ithaca recently. In 2018, Yale needed a career 17-point night from converted football player Noah Yates to beat Cornell by two - overcoming great nights from Stone Gettings, Terrence McBride, and Matt Morgan. In 2019, Yale let Cornell start the game with an 8-0 run in 1:40 of game time and gave up 91 points on the way to a win. This game featured some truly fantastic individual performances, including 20-7-6 from Miye Oni, 22-8-4 from Jordan Bruner, and 23-10 from the coming-off-the-bench-for- some-reason Paul Atkinson for Yale, and Jimmy Boeheim's 24 points on 9 shots were completely overshadowed by an eye-popping 35 points on 18 shots by Morgan for Cornell. In 2020, Yale needed double overtime to beat Cornell on the back of the program's first triple-double by Jordan Bruner. Yale needed a backdoor layup from then-freshman August Mahoney with 2.2 left to win by 1.

What I'm saying is, "sixteen straight wins" would make one think that Yale has had an easier time than it actually has. I like the Bulldogs' chances in this one based not only on game one of the series, but also on the difficulty Cornell is likely to have in stopping Yale's strength and speed from 2-4. But I would be an absolute fool to think that a Yale win, if it comes, will come easy.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Cornell II
02-23-22 08:49 PM - Post#337434    
    In response to iogyhufi

Go Big Red!

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-25-22 12:51 PM - Post#337512    
    In response to palestra38

For some light pregame reading, the always-excellent Will McCormack with an excellent profile of Jalen Gabbidon: https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2022/02/25/mens- bas...

palestra38 
Professor

02-25-22 01:13 PM - Post#337513    
    In response to iogyhufi

Interesting...and a great college newspaper article.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-26-22 05:14 PM - Post#337678    

That was the worst game Yale has played since the new year and it wasn't particularly close. Sloppy offense, often-lazy defense, and getting outhustled frequently.

That said, I'm using my one ref complaint for the year. This was abominable officiating in a way that benefitted Cornell almost exclusively. Cornell was pushing and shoving all game and the officials by and large let it go. Several Cornell threes came off of flagrantly obvious moving screens or after shoves from Cornell players. The Cornell commentary team said that this officiating crew proved that "the cream rises to the top" in D1 officiating - and I must say I agree, because we clearly did not have the cream today. I won't blame the officials for Yale's loss - their atrocious play saw to that - but it didn't help.

Ideal day for the Tigers, who now are the 1 seed unless they lose out. Yale now needs help in order to be Ivy champions. Just an utterly disappointing showing all around.

palestra38 
Professor

02-26-22 05:38 PM - Post#337685    
    In response to iogyhufi

I didn't see the game but it sounds like what Earl did in the 2nd half at home against Penn--just told his team to push and shove, initiate contact and get every call. They can throw 2 full units at you and if allowed to play football, they will.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

02-26-22 07:29 PM - Post#337701    

That's roughly correct (re: turning the game into a football game), and frankly, I don't fault Earl for doing it, because it does play into his team's composition and style.

This does, however, highlight the utter foolishness of this new scheduling mishegas. The way they have it set up, more league games than usual are played on Saturdays, and because (as we all know) most conferences play on Saturdays, the Ivy League gets stuck with the leftover refs for Saturday games.

I am absolutely indulging a very unfortunate part of myself by engaging in this sort of complaining, but the refs for today's game were all three part-timers who mostly officiate America East and NEC games. One of them had officiated ten D-1 games before this season. I understand that there's generally an officiating shortage the country over, but I do not like the Ivy League being the training ground for green refs and the dumping ground for bad refs. When we play games on Friday, we get full-timers, some of whom work P5 games. We should want better officials for the caliber of basketball that league teams usually put out. If that means we play more Friday games, then so be it.

Alright, I've gotten that out of my system. I promise that that's the last you'll hear of it (for now )

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
02-27-22 01:09 AM - Post#337722    
    In response to iogyhufi

Consolation—seven of the top ten teams lost on Saturday. I just watched the top-ranked Zags get beaten soundly by Saint Mary College.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
02-27-22 01:25 AM - Post#337723    
    In response to SRP

Funniest part of that one was the Gael who kept on missing 3s, and badly at that. The ESPN broadcasters were like: "They're leaving you open for a reason....STOP SHOOTING."

Well, he hit two very, very big 3s late in the game and made them eat crow.

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
02-27-22 07:27 AM - Post#337725    
    In response to iogyhufi

I go back to the bill van breda kollff years at Princeton. The Saturday night refs complaint started 50+ years ago. True then, true now.but usually the calls are inconsistent not biased. Tend to even out over time. Hard for players to know what to expect

palestra38 
Professor

02-27-22 08:42 AM - Post#337726    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

I think that what happens, and Earl knows this, is that inexperienced refs try not to look like they are making most of the calls against one team, even if one team is making most of the fouls and initiating most of the contact. So if you are extra-aggressive, you can punish the opponent while the calls are 50-50. It's a good strategy for a team with fewer talented players, but plenty of athletic bodies.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.814 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:59 AM