Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Penn ILT        (Topic#26114)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-06-22 09:37 AM - Post#338197    

Since there's no real reason to dwell on Game 14, we might as well turn our attention to the tourney. Since I have apparently given the impression that I think Yale is just going to waltz through the ILT (somehow? though I'm not sure how), allow me to now say that no, I do not think that, and each and every remaining game is obviously going to be difficult to win.

On to the substance of things, I think adjustments are going to be what determines who takes the day here. Dingle wasn't able to produce in game 2, but he's obviously a guy who can hurt a team. Can he adjust to how he was defended that game and find ways to produce? There's also a consideration to be made on the Gabbidon question. Does Penn change how they cover him? Do they instead think "well, he hit some shots that he usually doesn't in game 2, so we're probably fine?" I don't think that I have a fantastic answer for this one, but Steve Donahue gets paid a lot more than I do to coach basketball because he's really good at coming up with answers to questions like that.

Yale has some questions to answer of its own. First and foremost, how are you going to handle defense when both Slajchert and Dingle are on the floor? Clark Slajchert very nearly shot Penn into a win in the last game, and he's shown himself to be a substantial offensive threat. Second, can you get enough production to take some of the burden off of Gabbidon? It's a tall order to be both the focal point of a team's offense and the person charged with guarding Jordan Dingle. The more energy he has to use on one, the less he has for the other (which might mean that by the end of the game, he has energy for neither). Can Yale establish a second source of offense to take the pressure off Gabbidon?

I'll be at the ILT, and I expect this to be a close one. If nothing else, the ILT has given us the opportunity to watch more high-quality games between the Ivy's best, and that's a mighty nice thing to have.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Penn ILT
03-06-22 11:11 AM - Post#338204    
    In response to iogyhufi

I think the perception that you are overconfident comes from your 2 posts on the Brown game.

But I think Penn matches up well with Yale--much better than it does with Princeton. Gabbidon certainly chewed up Lucas Monroe at Yale, but Monroe should be able to guard him. And if Williams is available, we match up pretty well with Yale on the defensive end, period. If Dingle doesn't shoot a 4-19, Penn has enough firepower to win. But gotta do it on the court. I'll be there too so we'll get to decide this live.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-06-22 02:20 PM - Post#338221    
    In response to palestra38

Well, I can't believe I have to say this, but the comment about having three more games was tongue-in-cheek (and an attempt to rib gently), which I thought I made plain. I suppose it didn't land. I'm not sure what from the second post looked arrogant; I said Yale played well on offense, which they'll need to do if they want to win the ILT (not to say that they definitely will win with good offense, but they definitely won't without it), and then I said Penn was reeling. If the latter is what you viewed as presumptuous, all I can say is that Penn has pretty obviously struggled in its most recent games, especially on defense. Penn is 1-3 in its last 4, with the only win being on a buzzer-beater against Brown. On defense, Penn has given up 88 to Brown, 84 to Dartmouth, and 93 to Princeton. That's a pretty substantial departure from their previous form, in my opinion.

None of this means I think Yale will definitely win! For one thing, Yale is a flawed team (like all the rest of the Ivies), and just because Penn is struggling doesn't mean they can't turn it around - in fact, Stevie D is one of the coaches I would trust most to accomplish that.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-06-22 02:46 PM - Post#338222    
    In response to iogyhufi

Separately, Vegas has its first lines out for the winner of the ILT. From DraftKings:

Princeton +125
Yale +180
Penn +500
Cornell +650

This strikes me as relatively fair - Penn could be undervalued here, except that it looks like they might have the worst match-up with Princeton of the three others. Still, if Cornell wins that first game, the Quakers stock rises significantly.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
03-06-22 10:25 PM - Post#338249    
    In response to iogyhufi

I think Yale is overvalued here, not so much because of Penn, but because of Princeton just being the best team.

As far as Penn's 1-3, the loss of Jelani Williams has really hurt its team defense. Dingle was hurt for one and out another. So I'm not so worried about that. But Penn has to have Williams to play defense against Yale. If he can do that, Penn has a chance.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-06-22 11:40 PM - Post#338261    
    In response to palestra38

We also need some players to step it up offensively.

If we hit 75 points, we win this year (other than Utah State 2OT).

Martz HAS to contribute. If Charles plays any length of time, the team must create plays so that he has opportunities to shoot 3s--otherwise he is a liability.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-07-22 07:26 PM - Post#338356    
    In response to penn nation

I think you're right, especially about getting threes. Yale's great defensive strength this year has been in limiting easy looks from 3, but especially with Dingle as a big driving threat, it gets really hard to cover everything. If Penn can knock down some 3s early, that will open things up inside for Dingle, and Yale will be in real trouble.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-12-22 05:54 PM - Post#338860    
    In response to iogyhufi

What a tremendous game. A masterful game from Azar Swain helps Yale overcome 17(!?) from Nick Spinoso. The Bulldogs really cleaned things up after halftime and started matching Penn's intensity. Dingle hit some tough, tough shots down the stretch, but Yale managed to score just enough to offset those buckets and walk away with a win.

That was a game worth the price of admission; two good teams trading punches and two stars making shots.

On to Princeton.

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
03-12-22 09:04 PM - Post#338875    
    In response to iogyhufi

Hats off to you guys. And good luck tomorrow. Think you can do it.

penn nation 
Professor

Reg: 12-02-04
03-12-22 09:18 PM - Post#338876    
    In response to penn nation

• penn nation Said:
We also need some players to step it up offensively.

If we hit 75 points, we win this year (other than Utah State 2OT).

Martz HAS to contribute. If Charles plays any length of time, the team must create plays so that he has opportunities to shoot 3s--otherwise he is a liability.

The supporting guys didn't step it up. Made a huge difference.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.253 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 03:29 AM