Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Yale        (Topic#26116)
Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
03-06-22 12:00 PM - Post#338212    

Only watched bits and pieces of this one, but a couple details that stand out.

- It's a minor miracle that we only lost by single digits while shooting 6.7% from beyond the arc, highlighted by Cowan's 0-6 shooting night.

- Gainey completed a phenomenal second half of conference play with 20 points and 18 rebounds. In the last seven games, he averaged 14.4 PPG on 80% shooting from the field, which is absurd.

- Choh's 13 points were enough to move him into 11th on the all-time scoring list at Brown. He'll also end his Brown career at number six on the all-time rebounding list. What a privilege to have been able to watch him play for the past four seasons - the buzzer beating and-1 against Harvard will live on in Brown Basketball lore for years to come.

- Kino had 10 points and, perhaps more importantly, 4 assists, his highest total in conference play. He'll finish the season with 387 points, good for the 3rd most points by a freshman in Brown's history, behind Earl Hunt and Desmond Cambridge. He slowed down a little bit in the second half of conference play - he went from 16 PPG in the first seven to 12.4 PPG in the second seven - but I think he should be ROY.

- Nice to see Aaron Cooley take advantage of his minutes - he hadn't played more than 10 minutes since November, but racked up 13 points on 6/7 shooting. If Mike can get him on the Obi Okolie workout plan, I think he can make a real difference for this team in the next three years.

I feel like we underachieved this season - at the same time, we were two buzzer beaters away from being in the Ivy tournament, so maybe 'underachieve' is too harsh. We lose our two best players in Choh and Gainey, and a defensive stopper in Mitchell, but the cupboard isn't bare by any means. When we signed Friday, I thought he was the guy who would be handed the keys to the program - I think he can still be a dominant player but he has to cut down on the turnovers. I'm hoping Lilly can avoid a Desmond Cambridge-esque second season, where we ask him to do too much on offense and he ends up jacking up ~8 threes a game. I like our incoming class of recruits, especially Kalu Anya, who I think will provide an instant impact on defense. This is all to say, it wasn't the season I hoped for, but I still think Mike has us trending towards something good.

Bruno 
PhD Student

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Yale
03-06-22 07:41 PM - Post#338239    
    In response to Ever True

Nice write up. I generally agree. How I feel about the season and how I feel about the state of the program are two different things.

The Ivy season was rough. Finishing tied for 6th with this roster is still hard to believe. This was a season where many thought we were a legit top two team. Underachieved isn’t too harsh. They did. By a margin.

I like the general state of the program. I like our talent profile. These are better players than Brown has had historically. And you saw that in the NC season in bunches. We’re credible, despite being 5-9 in a relatively weak Ivy. And even with the Ivy underperformance, our Kenpom rating in the low 200s is better than we often are. Program is objectively better than it has been through most of our history.

The issue is the Ivy performance. As I wrote at the start of the Ivy season, we consistently underperform against Ivy teams. Staff needs to look at that. Buzzer beaters or not. This year was an objectively bad outcome in the Ivy, and our kp rating has dropped consistently over the last X number of seasons once we’ve gotten there. Something needs to change - in approach or preparation or scouting or having more looks. I have no idea. I just know we are consistently disappointing there. Which I’m tired of.

I like the program. I like the team. I hope to see something change to make for a better performance against Ivy teams. Which of course is our only shot to play real postseason basketball.
LET'S go BRU-no (duh. nuh. nuh-nuh-nuh)

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.51 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:58 AM