Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Off Topic--Baseball        (Topic#26228)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
04-08-22 11:32 PM - Post#340411    

As predicted by the preseason poll, the Ivy baseball season has so far been a four-team race, with Harvard currently leading and Columbia, Yale, and our heroes one game back. Penn currently leads the league in both OPS and ERA, and has probably the biggest series of the regular season coming up this weekend at Harvard; two out of three in that one would most likely have us tied for first, would give us the tiebreaker over both Harvard and Columbia (we took two of three from the Lions the first league weekend), and would leave us with by far the easiest remaining schedule, having only Yale of the other contenders to play, whereas the other three will still have to take on each other. If you like explosive, sabermetrically sound offenses, you're gonna love Penn; so far we're averaging over 1 HR per game and lead the league in OBP at .378. The last gives me optimism, in that in previous years it did not seem that the coach valued walks, but this year they have been very patient at the plate, and it has paid off. The baseball gods owe us one, as we were the slight favorites to win the league in 2020; let's see if they pay up.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
Off Topic--Baseball
04-09-22 09:50 AM - Post#340415    
    In response to dperry

Thanks David - you just saved me a lot of time catching up on the baseball team. Now I can focus on our #5 ranked Lacrosse team matched up with Brown at FF today.

Edited by Streamers on 04-09-22 09:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
04-09-22 04:14 PM - Post#340422    
    In response to Streamers

Brutal loss to Brown - after going out to a 5-0 lead, they just couldn't match Brown's intensity for some reason I cannot understand.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-09-22 09:42 PM - Post#340425    
    In response to Streamers

Well, things got off to an unusual but good start today, as the first game was suspended in the top of the fifth with alma mater leading 17-3, so I think they'll get one out of this trip, at least. That game will be finished starting at noon tomorrow, followed immediately by game 2; game 3 is on hold for the moment (I suspect they will wait to see if it matters.) More good news as Yale only split with Dartmouth, while Columbia took both from Brown.
David Perry
Penn '92

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
04-10-22 09:22 AM - Post#340433    
    In response to dperry

17-3? That’s baseball in Philly this year. ;-)

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-10-22 01:54 PM - Post#340438    
    In response to Streamers

Well, we scored four TD's in game 1, but missed an extra point, so only won 27-6. (Not an all-time record, by the way; they definitely got 33 on La Salle in 2000.) Hopefully they saved some runs for game 2; good news there is they only used two pitchers, one on each day, so plenty of arms in the bullpen if needed.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-10-22 05:30 PM - Post#340443    
    In response to dperry

Well, obviously the Penn hitters were a bit tired from their exertions in game 1, as they could manage only six in the afternooncap , but it turned out that they didn't need the arms in the pen after all as Kevin Eaise and Owen Coady (the latter has been sterling in long relief this year) combined to scatter six hits and gave up only two runs. So mission accomplished in dominant fashion, with a absolute humiliation in game 1 and a dominating pitching performance in game 2. For whatever strange reason, only Brown and Cornell are playing the next-to last weekend of the season, so if game 3 is needed it will probably happen then. Yale dropped another one to Dartmouth, but Columbia erupted late against Brown, so officially the Lions are in first, though Penn is tied in the loss column. Now Penn gets to feast on Cornell and Brown the next two weeks while Columbia has to tangle with both Harvard and Yale, albeit both at home.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-15-22 12:46 PM - Post#340651    
    In response to dperry

So far, we are guaranteed series wins over two of the three other contenders as predicted in the preseason poll (Columbia and Harvard). The fourth team is Yale; however, the 'Dogs are currently tied with Dartmouth for fourth, and the Green took two of three in New Haven last week and have generally looked better (in league play, their pitching staff leads in ERA by almost two full runs!), so I think we've now taken series wins over all three of the actual contenders. Now it's crucial to take care of business the next two weeks against Cornell and Brown, who are two of the three worst teams in the league (the orange stain being the third). Five out of six would put us at the brink of qualifying for the ILCS and would lessen the pressure when we make our own trip to New Haven to face what is likely to be a desperate Yale team. For those in the area who haven't been to Meiklejohn Stadium yet, come on out if you can; it's an awesome place to watch a game, with very comfy seats and a very short backstop; sitting behind the plate, you feel like you're peering right over the umpire's shoulder.
David Perry
Penn '92

palestra38 
Professor

04-15-22 01:10 PM - Post#340652    
    In response to dperry

It is indeed a great place to watch a game on those rare days when it isn't 45 degrees with a stiff wind off the river. They should play college baseball in the fall.

Speaking of the minor sports, that Lacrosse team sure fell with a thud.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
04-15-22 04:15 PM - Post#340657    
    In response to palestra38

There’s still time for the lax team to recover but they have to stop playing down to their lesser competition and cut down on the turnovers and lost face offs.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-16-22 11:39 PM - Post#340670    

• palestra38 Said:
It is indeed a great place to watch a game on those rare days when it isn't 45 degrees with a stiff wind off the river. They should play college baseball in the fall.

Speaking of the minor sports, that Lacrosse team sure fell with a thud.

It was actually quite pleasant today; the sun and the breeze balanced each other out nicely. Also, no one would pay attention to baseball in the fall, and the weather would suck at the end of the season instead of the beginning, and it would be harder to make up games.

David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-16-22 11:51 PM - Post#340671    
    In response to dperry

This team is really a delight to watch; a patient, sound approach to at-bats, pitchers with good stuff who can mix it up, and very good instincts on the basepaths. The only weakness is an occasional eruption of errors, although even there they're second in the league in fielding. Today's first game, in which they beat Cornell 10-1, was the closest I've ever seen a team come to the Platonic form of a good baseball; they just did all the big things absolutely right. The second game was not as clean, with one of those error eruptions happening, but in a way, it's also cheering, in that they can have a not-great outing against a bad team and still win pretty easily. The best part was when they were leading 6-3 going into the bottom of the eighth, having given up a couple of runs in the 7th and 8th; they got four more in the 8th, including a three-run HR with two outs from 3B Wyatt Henseler, who's been the hitting star of the season so far. That turned Cornell loading the bases with 1 out in the 9th from nail-biting to mildly annoying. Well, two down, four more to go between tomorrow and next week vs. Brown; three more wins in those games should pretty much do the trick.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-18-22 01:28 AM - Post#340673    
    In response to dperry

In today's action, our heroes trailed 6-3 going into the bottom of the sixth, at which point they clearly said "Enough is enough," and put up an 11-spot, sending 14 batters to the plate and running off 3 Cornell pitchers. They are just incredibly explosive. Meanwhile, Columbia completed an impressive sweep of Harvard, and Brown had their cleanup hitter pull a squeeze play to beat Yale in the 9th, so I think it's time to stick a fork in both the Crimson and Bulldogs. At this point, we and the Lions lead everyone else by 2 games in the loss column; Dartmouth, currently in 3rd, looks like the only other team with a legitimate chance to get into the ILCS; however, the most likely scenario for that to happen involves sweeping Columbia in the final weekend at Hanover, which seems unlikely.

There is a website called Warrennolan.com, which does a lot of power rankings for various college sports, including baseball. Their projections keep changing every few minutes, for reasons which are unclear to me, but some of them have Penn finishing with an RPI in the low 30's . If Penn were to win out in the regular season but lose to Columbia in the ILCS, they'd have a real argument for an at-large bid; I'd believe that when I saw it, of course, but the argument is there.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Off Topic--Baseball
04-22-22 11:48 PM - Post#340809    
    In response to dperry

Brown comes to visit us this week, and they're not any better than Cornell is; they enter the week hitting a lusty .223 in league play, putting them squarely at the bottom of the list, and their .654 OPS also ranks worst in the loop by over half a point. The pitching, with an ERA of 7.34, is not exactly stellar either. I predict that the Penn side of the scoreboard will get a vigorous workout this weekend, particularly with things finally starting to warm up a bit. Again, two out of three is the minimum acceptable performance here in order to keep up with Columbia, who hosts Yale this week in what may be the last gasp for the Bulldogs, while Dartmouth goes to Cornell and Harvard to Princeton; both the Green and Crimson are looking to keep their ILCS hopes going, with Dartmouth being in a much better situation than Harvard. Good news for Penn: Andrew Hernandez, the senior who was supposed to be the starting catcher this year but has struggled with injuries, DH'ed against St. Joe's on Wednesday and was 2-3 with an HR. Given that they have three good catchers, that gives them a lot of options in arranging the lineup. One of the odder pitching boxes I've ever seen, as no one went more than 1 1/3 for Penn; they definitely seem to be laser-focused on the Ivy games this year, treating the mid-week games as essentially warmups.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 04-23-22 12:00 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Re: Off Topic--Baseball
04-24-22 12:30 AM - Post#340824    
    In response to dperry

Well, today was not the offense-fest I was anticipating, but alma mater got the job done. Game 1 featured six solid innings from staff ace Kevin Eaise and a five-run burst in the 4th, kicked off by 3B Wyatt Henseler's league-leading 11th dinger and followed by another big hit by DH Andrew Hernandez with a two-run double, then capped off by LF Seth Werchan's two-run single; final 5-2. The second match started off even better from a pitching standpoint, as Joe Miller threw six innings of no-hit ball; however, Brown starter Tobey McDonough was almost as good, giving up only one run in seven innings. The Bears finally got to Miller for a run in the seventh to tie it up. Penn made a brillant 8-6-2 relay after a Brown double to cut a runner down at the plate by an eyelash in the top of the 9th; they then got out of bases-loaded jams with no outs in the 10th and 1 out in the 13th. Finally, in the bottom of the 13th, Henseler once again initiated with a one-out walk; he was pushed to second by 1B Ben Miller's single and took third on Craig Larsen's fly to right. With two out, Brown P Paxton Myers, who had gone scoreless for 5 2/3 innings in relief of McDonough, got two quick strikes on 2B Cole Palis, but Palis fouled off pitch 3 to stay alive. Pitch 4 was a little too fat, and Palis drove it to the track in right-center. Brown's RF Jared Johnson ran it down nicely, got his glove underneath the ball--and then dropped it; game over, 2-1.

Yale was up 4-1 on Columbia going into the 7th in game 1, but the Lions once again came up with a big rally to win 5-4, and then crushed the Bulldogs 11-2 in the evening match, so no help there. Dartmouth and Harvard did lose once each, so our spot in the ILCS is pretty much assured at this point. Hopefully Yale can salvage game 3 tomorrow and we can take advantage.
David Perry
Penn '92

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
04-24-22 01:52 PM - Post#340831    
    In response to dperry

I was just looking at the stats. This kid Henseler is a beast, and he is only a soph. Probably already on MLB radar.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-26-22 11:58 PM - Post#340887    
    In response to Streamers

Well, it's a bit disquieting that our heroes only managed 11 runs in three games against Brown this past weekend, particularly since Columbia has been beating up on at least somewhat better opposition in Harvard and Yale. In fairness, Brown does have three pitchers in the top 10 in ERA in league play, and we faced all of them for long stretches; nevertheless, it's a bit worrisome, particularly since Tommy Courtney, Jackson Appel, and Wyatt Henseler, who have been the top of the lineup, went 6 for 38. However, I will say that even in the throes of a tough weekend, the offense still managed to reach by walk or HBP 17 times, which proved to be way too many opportunities for the Bears to screw things up. It is also true that Columbia has to finish the season on the road; we'll see how it goes for them, particularly since their last series is against third-place Dartmouth, who hopefully will still be alive at that point. The magic numbers are now four to reach the ILCS and seven to host it.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-28-22 10:54 PM - Post#340895    
    In response to dperry

Doing the preview early as I am heading up to Connecticut tomorrow to take in alma mater's first game at Yale. We'll find out whether my fears of their offense slumping late in the season are justified or whether last weekend was just a blip. Meanwhile, Columbia travels to Cornell riding a 16-game winning streak, and Dartmouth heads to Harvard trying to make sure their season-ending series hosting the Lions has meaning. The weather returns to cool and blustery this weekend, so expect wind-blown homers and exciting adventures in fielding. :-)
David Perry
Penn '92

AsiaSunset 
Postdoc

04-29-22 03:14 PM - Post#340904    
    In response to dperry

I’m going to stick my neck out and say it’s a blip.

Penn 22. Yale 4 in the bottom of the sixth

T.P.F.K.A.D.W. 
PhD Student

Loc: Our Nation's Capital
Reg: 01-18-05
04-29-22 03:41 PM - Post#340905    
    In response to AsiaSunset

We have had trouble with 14 run leads in the past.

But an 18 run lead should be safe.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
04-29-22 04:10 PM - Post#340906    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

They need a mercy rule - now 26-4. The middle of the order might as well be hitting off a tee.

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
04-29-22 06:18 PM - Post#340909    
    In response to T.P.F.K.A.D.W.

• T.P.F.K.A.D.W. Said:
We have had trouble with 14 run leads in the past.

But an 18 run lead should be safe.

Don't go there. I was at that LeMoyne game in Waterbury, when Jud Damon was pitching a no-hitter (perfect game?) and had a 14-0 lead when the rain suspended the game. I was so sure the game was in hand that I didn't go back the next day. When I found out we lost that suspended game in 12 innings, I was in shock.

That was the best Penn baseball team in my lifetime, cracking the national top 30, earning a #4-seed in the Northeast regional and knocking off #22 Illinois in the first round of the regional.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-29-22 08:21 PM - Post#340914    
    In response to AsiaSunset

• AsiaSunset Said:
I’m going to stick my neck out and say it’s a blip.

Penn 22. Yale 4 in the bottom of the sixth

Yes, I think we can safely say that they have gotten their groove back. Yale still has a manually-operated scoreboard, and apparently the highest number they had was 22, because after that, they just left Penn's score blank. We broke the scoreboard.

The first inning today was the perfect illustration of how much more patient this team's offense is compared to previous Yurkow teams. The first two batters went down rather meekly. The sequence then went: double, double, HBP, HBP, bases-loaded walk, bases-loaded walk, two-run single. They waited the pitcher out as he lost his control. Earlier teams would have hacked at a bad pitch somewhere in the middle of that sequence, hit a weak ground ball at someone, and only gotten one or two rather than five.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
04-29-22 08:55 PM - Post#340916    
    In response to dperry

Neglected to mention that the 1st inning outburst was kicked off by Wayne Henseler, who I now call "Mr. Instigator" because he starts so many rallies.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Off Topic--Baseball
04-30-22 10:25 PM - Post#340929    
    In response to dperry

All right, the concerns are now back as we only get three runs in game 2 and Joe Miller picks an unfortunate time to have a bad outing, giving up 7 runs in 4 2/3, not helped by a meltdown by Carson Ozmer, his relief, who threw two consecutive wild pitches leading to three runs; final 9-3 Yale. In game 3, we only manage four runs and pitcher Cole Zaffiro struggles through three rough inning, but somehow manages to strand seven Bulldogs on base, and once again Owen Coady stifles the opposition through the final five for the 4-0 shutout. Meanwhile, Columbia takes two more against Cornell. Dartmouth splits against Harvard, so our magic number for the ILCS is down to 1, but this means that barring the Red rising up and beating the Lions tomorrow, the Green will have only spoiling to play for in two weeks against the Lions, just when we need the help. Again, starting to show some signs of impatience in the lineup, particularly among the top of the order. Tommy Courtney, who has been slumping and doesn't have that great of an OBP anyway, was dropped from first in the lineup to 9th, which I think is a good idea. Nevertheless, they need to calm down and stop pressing at the plate.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 04-30-22 10:30 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
05-01-22 01:21 PM - Post#340942    
    In response to dperry

First of all thanks for these updates.

One thing baseball fans the world over understand is that even really strong hitting lineups can suddenly go cold as a group. Phillies fans in particular know this all to well. This is often caused when they start looking at too many hittable pitches in an attempt to wear down starters or encounter an ump with an oversized strike zone that gets in their heads. Don’t know if either was the case vs Yale, but these corruptions tend to be transitory.

If other spring sports news, the IL LAX tournament begins Friday night at the home of (what was an underrated) Brown team that has improved lot over the course of the season. Penn plays the second game vs the home team at 8:30 EDT

OldBig5 
Masters Student

Reg: 02-18-18
05-01-22 01:28 PM - Post#340943    
    In response to Streamers

My son went to Virginia Tech. I don't follow college baseball that close. Was surprised to see them ranked #7 and apparently that is their highest ranking ever. They have split with UVA this weekend and game three tied in a rain delay.

palestra38 
Professor

05-03-22 04:03 PM - Post#341067    
    In response to OldBig5

As long as we are on off-topic Penn Sports, how about a shout-out to Men's Tennis:

https://pennathletics.com/news/2022/5/2/history -me...

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-07-22 08:36 PM - Post#341202    

Penn will be playing the delayed game 3 at Harvard tomorrow at noon. I was very concerned that they were going to make us squish it in the week before the ILCS if it was meaningful, so I'm glad to hear the news. With Columbia having swept Cornell last week and our dropping one to Yale, this game is a must have if we want a reasonable chance of taking home field away from the Lions. I'm betting #1 starter Kevin Eaise will take the hill, which if so means that we get an extra start out of him down the stretch. The forecast for Boston is 52 with winds gusting up to 30 mph, so much like the first time we went up there. Hopefully we can get some balls up into the jet stream and not miss too many popups.
David Perry
Penn '92

palestra38 
Professor

05-07-22 09:56 PM - Post#341204    
    In response to dperry

Should play baseball in the fall....

13otto 
Masters Student
13otto
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
Reg: 11-22-04
05-07-22 11:44 PM - Post#341206    

• palestra38 Said:
Should play baseball in the fall....

Nah. If all of college baseball shifted to the fall, you'd be playing the College World Series in colder weather. May/June is better post-season baseball weather than October/November.
http://www.letsgoquakers.com/

palestra38 
Professor

05-08-22 05:42 AM - Post#341207    
    In response to 13otto

The entire season is played in subpar weather in the Northeast. But yeah, when you leave out the summer, nothing is ideal for baseball in this region.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
05-08-22 12:11 PM - Post#341211    

Meanwhile, Penn plays Yale for the Ivy lax championship today at noon on ESPNU.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-14-22 11:21 AM - Post#341433    
    In response to Streamers

Well, in the makeup of Game 3 last Saturday, Penn squandered a bases-loaded, one out opportunity to break the game open in the top of the 8th, then saw Owen Coady fail to keep things under control for the first time all season in the bottom of the 8th, and then got the tying run on third with no one out in the top of the 9th and let him die there. It's now going to be pretty tough to take back the home-team advantage from Columbia, though, ironically, the fact that Dartmouth is still at least slightly alive due to Penn's screwup may help in the Green's first game against the Lions. The Lions simply need to avoid doing more than one game worse than Penn this weekend to bring the ILCS to Inwood. That damn game we blew to them at the beginning of the league season is really killing us right now; I could definitely see Dartmouth getting one off of Columbia, but two is a lot to ask, even in Hanover. That's also assuming that we don't lose any to Princeton, which I'm sorry to say I no longer have complete confidence in. They really need to take advantage of this opportunity against a lousy team to get their offense back in gear.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-14-22 04:28 PM - Post#341439    
    In response to dperry

Game 1 in Hanover goes to Dartmouth 11-8, as the Lions' 19-game winning streak is finally snapped. Columbia leads 4-1 in the bottom of the third in the nightcap. Meanwhile, Penn leads 7-3 in the top of the 6th and has the bases loaded with one out; however, the reports I hear from central Jersey indicate that they're in a rain delay at the moment.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-14-22 05:15 PM - Post#341451    
    In response to dperry

Penn-Princeton has been suspended and will be concluded tomorrow, followed by Game 2; one assumes that Game 3, if needed, will be Monday. Columbia now leads Dartmouth 5-3 in Game 2 after four complete; however, I see on ESPN+ that the weather is now holding things up there as well.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-14-22 11:26 PM - Post#341457    
    In response to dperry

Columbia and Dartmouth were also suspended by the weather, so they will resume tomorrow at 10 AM, while Penn and Princeton continue at 11. Apparently the P's will try to finish all three games tomorrow should they be relevant, so we could end up with the rare double-and-a-third header. :-)
Conserving the bullpen will be particularly important should that be the case.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-15-22 09:02 AM - Post#341464    
    In response to dperry

Correction: Penn and Princeton to start at 10:30 am.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-15-22 04:22 PM - Post#341471    
    In response to dperry

Columbia wins game 2, has a 10-4 lead in the 8th, gives up 4 in the 8th and a 2-run homer in the 9th. Lions get 1 in the top of the 10th, but Dartmouth gets two in the bottom; final score 12-11. Meanwhile, Penn hangs on in Game 1, crushes the Tigers in Game 2, and leads 4-1 in the top of the 4th in Game 3.
David Perry
Penn '92

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Off Topic--Baseball
05-15-22 04:48 PM - Post#341475    
    In response to dperry

If it's best of 3 and Penn "hung on" (presumably to win) the first game and "crushes" Princeton in the second game, WHY is the third game played?

Edited by SteveChop on 05-15-22 04:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-15-22 05:07 PM - Post#341476    
    In response to SteveChop

This isn't the playoffs, it's the last week of the regular season. We need to beat Princeton in the third game to tie Columbia for first and get home team advantage in the playoff.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Off Topic--Baseball
05-15-22 05:28 PM - Post#341477    
    In response to dperry

Penn gets 3 in the top of the 8th, now leads 7-3.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 05-15-22 05:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-15-22 06:01 PM - Post#341479    
    In response to dperry

Game over, Penn wins 7-3, and for the first time ever, the ILCS comes to Philadelphia!
David Perry
Penn '92

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Off Topic--Baseball
05-15-22 10:40 PM - Post#341480    
    In response to dperry

Decisions decisions. Watch lax on TV noon Saturday against a Rutgers team featuring ex Penn team captain Mitch Bartolo or live IL championship baseball.

Congratulations to the Delaware Blue Hens for knocking off the 2 seed Georgetown.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
05-16-22 04:29 PM - Post#341491    
    In response to dperry

Thanks dperry for the explanation

palestra38 
Professor

05-16-22 04:50 PM - Post#341492    
    In response to SteveChop

Does that mean Columbia lost 2 times to Dartmouth? I thought they were ahead of us with 3 to go.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-16-22 07:58 PM - Post#341493    

• palestra38 Said:
Does that mean Columbia lost 2 times to Dartmouth? I thought they were ahead of us with 3 to go.

Yes, we came into the final weekend two games down, but we won all three against Princeton and Columbia lost twice, so we tied them for first; since we beat them two out of three head-to-head, we win the tiebreaker.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-16-22 08:01 PM - Post#341494    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
Decisions decisions. Watch lax on TV noon Saturday against a Rutgers team featuring ex Penn team captain Mitch Bartolo or live IL championship baseball.

At the moment, the ILCS schedule is Game 1 on Saturday at 1, Games 2 and (if needed) 3 on Sunday starting at noon, so if you're not busy on Sunday, you can do both: watch lacrosse on Saturday, then come down to the ballpark on Sunday when they'll really need the support. The one caveat is, right now it's 50-50 for thunderstorms on Sunday afternoon. If that persists or gets more likely, they may move Game 2 to Saturday; they did something similar with the softball ILCS this past weekend, and they've also done it with baseball in the past, so stay tuned. Also, one other note: Columbia will hit last in Game 2.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 05-16-22 08:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-17-22 05:45 AM - Post#341496    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

Yes, we came into the final weekend two games down, but we won all three against Princeton and Columbia lost twice, so we tied them for first; since we beat them two out of three head-to-head, we win the tiebreaker.

You're welcome, Penn.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-18-22 12:34 AM - Post#341516    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

You're welcome, Penn.

Trust me, if the Dartmouth team wants to come down for the weekend, I guarantee they'll find plenty of people willing to buy them a round. I'd chip in myself.

On that note, I just have to say that days like Sunday are why I love sports. Frankly, even Penn sweeping Princeton was not as easy as it seemed; even if you assume that Penn had a 90% chance of winning each game, that still means that they would lose at least one game a little over one out of four times. As it was, Princeton's final batter represented the tying run in both Games 1 and 3 (because the Tigers are awful this year, the two batters produced a called strike three and a double-play, respectively.) Now calculate the chances that Columbia would blow a two-run lead after 5.5 innings in game 1, and that they would botch a six-run lead after 7.5 and a one-run lead in the 10th in game 3. Then, to put the cherry on top of the sundae, consider that Justin Murray, Dartmouth's normal first baseman, struck out looking leading off the 9th in game 3, then said one thing too many and was promptly ejected. (This, by the way, tells you something about how fired up Dartmouth was--by that point, they had been officially knocked out, but they were still playing hard enough to get really mad about calls. That being said, it is also true that the weather conspired to keep the Green alive as long as was practically possible.) So guess who ends up getting the game-winning hit in the 10th? His replacement, named--of all things--Peter O'Toole, who thereby raised his season batting average to .100. Yes, folks, he was 3-for-39 on the year coming into that at-bat, and he ended up 4-for-40. You simply cannot make this stuff up. If you wrote this up as a screenplay and shopped it around the studios, you would be laughed out of every office in Hollywood--and yet it actually happened.

I was sitting behind the backstop at Princeton on the side of the Penn dugout, no more than about 10 feet away, and was watching the live stats when Dartmouth's Nathan Cmeyla hit the home run with two outs in the 9th to tie the game. Not only did I nearly give my wife a heart attack when I jumped up next to her and started screaming, I had the whole Quaker dugout looking at me for about ten seconds like I was crazy--until they realized what I was saying. Then they got real happy.
David Perry
Penn '92

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-21-22 04:29 PM - Post#341701    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:

I was sitting behind the backstop at Princeton on the side of the Penn dugout, no more than about 10 feet away, and was watching the live stats when Dartmouth's Nathan Cmeyla hit the home run with two outs in the 9th to tie the game. Not only did I nearly give my wife a heart attack when I jumped up next to her and started screaming, I had the whole Quaker dugout looking at me for about ten seconds like I was crazy--until they realized what I was saying. Then they got real happy.

Would you believe that the announcers referred to this in the bottom of the second in game 1? They said that the Penn team learned about Dartmouth's comeback when a Penn fan started screaming near the dugout. Eventually, they figured out why.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-21-22 10:20 PM - Post#341713    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

Would you believe that the announcers referred to this in the bottom of the second in game 1? They said that the Penn team learned about Dartmouth's comeback when a Penn fan started screaming near the dugout. Eventually, they figured out why.

Thank you for noting that. I was actually watching the live stats update on the Dartmouth website (because my phone probably didn't have the bandwidth for video and certainly didn't have the battery), which exacerbated the reaction to a certain extent, because you see the little ball and strike lights pop up on the screen, and then when the ball's actually put in play, it seems to take forever to update, so when the words "home run" popped up and Dartmouth's score flipped over, I was in shock for a couple of seconds, and then I just lost it. After that, I was keeping a lot of the other Penn fans updated the rest of the way.

It wasn't even so much about the team--obviously I'm happy that they get an advantage, and we've never hosted the thing before, so it's good for the program that we have finally done that, but home field isn't as big a deal in baseball as it is in other sports. The biggest thing for me is that I had been thinking all day about the logistics of watching this thing in New York, and how much of a pain it was going to be, and I was really, really excited that I didn't have to do that.
David Perry
Penn '92

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.248 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:21 AM