Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Username Post: Off Topic--Baseball        (Topic#26228)
dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Loc: Houston, TX
Reg: 11-24-04
05-15-22 05:07 PM - Post#341476    
    In response to SteveChop

This isn't the playoffs, it's the last week of the regular season. We need to beat Princeton in the third game to tie Columbia for first and get home team advantage in the playoff.
David Perry
Penn '92
"Hail, Alma Mater/Thy sons cheer thee now
To thee, Pennsylvania/All rivals must bow!!!"

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Off Topic--Baseball
05-15-22 05:28 PM - Post#341477    
    In response to dperry

Penn gets 3 in the top of the 8th, now leads 7-3.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 05-15-22 05:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-15-22 06:01 PM - Post#341479    
    In response to dperry

Game over, Penn wins 7-3, and for the first time ever, the ILCS comes to Philadelphia!
David Perry
Penn '92

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
Off Topic--Baseball
05-15-22 10:40 PM - Post#341480    
    In response to dperry

Decisions decisions. Watch lax on TV noon Saturday against a Rutgers team featuring ex Penn team captain Mitch Bartolo or live IL championship baseball.

Congratulations to the Delaware Blue Hens for knocking off the 2 seed Georgetown.

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
05-16-22 04:29 PM - Post#341491    
    In response to dperry

Thanks dperry for the explanation

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
05-16-22 04:50 PM - Post#341492    
    In response to SteveChop

Does that mean Columbia lost 2 times to Dartmouth? I thought they were ahead of us with 3 to go.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-16-22 07:58 PM - Post#341493    
    In response to palestra38

• palestra38 Said:
Does that mean Columbia lost 2 times to Dartmouth? I thought they were ahead of us with 3 to go.

Yes, we came into the final weekend two games down, but we won all three against Princeton and Columbia lost twice, so we tied them for first; since we beat them two out of three head-to-head, we win the tiebreaker.
David Perry
Penn '92

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
Re: Off Topic--Baseball
05-16-22 08:01 PM - Post#341494    
    In response to Streamers

• Streamers Said:
Decisions decisions. Watch lax on TV noon Saturday against a Rutgers team featuring ex Penn team captain Mitch Bartolo or live IL championship baseball.

At the moment, the ILCS schedule is Game 1 on Saturday at 1, Games 2 and (if needed) 3 on Sunday starting at noon, so if you're not busy on Sunday, you can do both: watch lacrosse on Saturday, then come down to the ballpark on Sunday when they'll really need the support. The one caveat is, right now it's 50-50 for thunderstorms on Sunday afternoon. If that persists or gets more likely, they may move Game 2 to Saturday; they did something similar with the softball ILCS this past weekend, and they've also done it with baseball in the past, so stay tuned. Also, one other note: Columbia will hit last in Game 2.
David Perry
Penn '92

Edited by dperry on 05-16-22 08:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-17-22 05:45 AM - Post#341496    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

Yes, we came into the final weekend two games down, but we won all three against Princeton and Columbia lost twice, so we tied them for first; since we beat them two out of three head-to-head, we win the tiebreaker.

You're welcome, Penn.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-18-22 12:34 AM - Post#341516    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:
  • dperry Said:
  • palestra38 Said:

You're welcome, Penn.

Trust me, if the Dartmouth team wants to come down for the weekend, I guarantee they'll find plenty of people willing to buy them a round. I'd chip in myself.

On that note, I just have to say that days like Sunday are why I love sports. Frankly, even Penn sweeping Princeton was not as easy as it seemed; even if you assume that Penn had a 90% chance of winning each game, that still means that they would lose at least one game a little over one out of four times. As it was, Princeton's final batter represented the tying run in both Games 1 and 3 (because the Tigers are awful this year, the two batters produced a called strike three and a double-play, respectively.) Now calculate the chances that Columbia would blow a two-run lead after 5.5 innings in game 1, and that they would botch a six-run lead after 7.5 and a one-run lead in the 10th in game 3. Then, to put the cherry on top of the sundae, consider that Justin Murray, Dartmouth's normal first baseman, struck out looking leading off the 9th in game 3, then said one thing too many and was promptly ejected. (This, by the way, tells you something about how fired up Dartmouth was--by that point, they had been officially knocked out, but they were still playing hard enough to get really mad about calls. That being said, it is also true that the weather conspired to keep the Green alive as long as was practically possible.) So guess who ends up getting the game-winning hit in the 10th? His replacement, named--of all things--Peter O'Toole, who thereby raised his season batting average to .100. Yes, folks, he was 3-for-39 on the year coming into that at-bat, and he ended up 4-for-40. You simply cannot make this stuff up. If you wrote this up as a screenplay and shopped it around the studios, you would be laughed out of every office in Hollywood--and yet it actually happened.

I was sitting behind the backstop at Princeton on the side of the Penn dugout, no more than about 10 feet away, and was watching the live stats when Dartmouth's Nathan Cmeyla hit the home run with two outs in the 9th to tie the game. Not only did I nearly give my wife a heart attack when I jumped up next to her and started screaming, I had the whole Quaker dugout looking at me for about ten seconds like I was crazy--until they realized what I was saying. Then they got real happy.
David Perry
Penn '92

Go Green 
PhD Student

Reg: 04-22-10
05-21-22 04:29 PM - Post#341701    
    In response to dperry

• dperry Said:

I was sitting behind the backstop at Princeton on the side of the Penn dugout, no more than about 10 feet away, and was watching the live stats when Dartmouth's Nathan Cmeyla hit the home run with two outs in the 9th to tie the game. Not only did I nearly give my wife a heart attack when I jumped up next to her and started screaming, I had the whole Quaker dugout looking at me for about ten seconds like I was crazy--until they realized what I was saying. Then they got real happy.

Would you believe that the announcers referred to this in the bottom of the second in game 1? They said that the Penn team learned about Dartmouth's comeback when a Penn fan started screaming near the dugout. Eventually, they figured out why.

dperry 
Postdoc
dperry
05-21-22 10:20 PM - Post#341713    
    In response to Go Green

• Go Green Said:

Would you believe that the announcers referred to this in the bottom of the second in game 1? They said that the Penn team learned about Dartmouth's comeback when a Penn fan started screaming near the dugout. Eventually, they figured out why.

Thank you for noting that. I was actually watching the live stats update on the Dartmouth website (because my phone probably didn't have the bandwidth for video and certainly didn't have the battery), which exacerbated the reaction to a certain extent, because you see the little ball and strike lights pop up on the screen, and then when the ball's actually put in play, it seems to take forever to update, so when the words "home run" popped up and Dartmouth's score flipped over, I was in shock for a couple of seconds, and then I just lost it. After that, I was keeping a lot of the other Penn fans updated the rest of the way.

It wasn't even so much about the team--obviously I'm happy that they get an advantage, and we've never hosted the thing before, so it's good for the program that we have finally done that, but home field isn't as big a deal in baseball as it is in other sports. The biggest thing for me is that I had been thinking all day about the logistics of watching this thing in New York, and how much of a pain it was going to be, and I was really, really excited that I didn't have to do that.
David Perry
Penn '92

Page 3 of 3 ALL« First<123
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.474 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:35 PM