Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Incoming        (Topic#26348)
Old Bear 
Postdoc

Reg: 11-23-04
06-17-22 07:39 PM - Post#342421    

https://bit.ly/3HvFGkw

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
06-21-22 11:48 PM - Post#342471    
    In response to Old Bear

I like this recruiting class a lot. I don't think any of these guys have the ability to change our prospects for next season single-handedly, but I do think they could all be important pieces on an Ivy League tournament team by the end of their careers. I figure that we'll have a window for a run at Ivy Madness (and maybe more) in 2023/24 and 2024/25, when Kino's class are juniors and seniors and, with that in mind, I think this is a class that moves us towards that goal.

If there's a scorer in this class, it's Drew Kania. He missed all of his senior season through injury, but averaged a double-double as a junior, albeit during a Covid-shortened season. I can't think of many of Brown players in the recent past who have had his size and shooting ability.

AJ Lesburt looks like a solid two-way player - potentially a 3-and-D guy with a little more bounce than you might expect from someone at that position. New England Recruiting Report had him as the number 44 recruit in New England for the class of 22, which isn't too shabby.

Kala Anyu is the most exciting recruit in this class for me - he will be coming to College Hill after a prep year at IMG Academy, where he mixed it up with players heading to more reputed basketball skills. He seems to have made his name thus far on his defense and his ability to get to the hoop. He will probably need to develop a more reliable jump shot, but I think he could be a game-changer defensively.

Finally, Landon Lewis could be this year's Kimo Ferrari, albeit as a post player. He was plagued by injury in his first three years, but played major minutes this past season at Harvard-Westlake, in a strong California basketball conference.

This class is big, physically speaking - the smallest player is Lesburt at 6'5". Mike will have choices down low, in addition to Malachi Ndur. If all goes well with health, folks staying committed, etc., Mike could have a team that is a real defensive nightmare for opponents in a few years.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
06-22-22 08:07 AM - Post#342474    
    In response to Ever True

I hope for the sake of the league that you are right, but one thing I have seen over 40+ years of following Ivy basketball is how difficult it is to predict defensive ability based on high school recruiting. The game is so much faster and the players so much more consistently athletic that it really takes teaching and experience to develop solid D.

Ever True 
Junior

Reg: 02-02-15
06-23-22 03:12 PM - Post#342531    
    In response to palestra38

Your point is well-taken, palestra38. It's no secret that Mike's recruiting strategy has been to go for guys with athleticism and a desire to play defense. He's unearthed some gems with that approach - Jaylan Gainey, for example - but he's also recruited his fair share of guys who haven't worked out, some of whom had similar profiles to Mssrs. Kania and Lesburt. I'm still optimistic about Kalu Anya - but, to your point, I also think that this year's recruiting classes will be even more unpredictable than usual, given that many of the first years who played high school ball in the northeast may not have had a complete junior year season, if they had one at all.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.181 seconds.   Total Queries: 17   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 06:27 AM