Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Bucknell Announces Men’s Basketball Coaching Change        (Topic#27090)
Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-06-23 11:18 AM - Post#353268    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Past coaching hires had head coach experience as a prerequisite ( not sure in Flannery’s case if it was actually required, but was for DP & ND.) If Truax follows that course, not an unreasonable one, it works against Griffin, whom I would love to see get the job. My gut says “no” to DP, you can’t go back, and a Fisherless DP does not excite me.
The road map has been to hire a successful D3 coach. Maybe the ND failure will result in a new map. Also Griffins family history may obviate the lack of actual HC experience. Hope so.

Do we know that was a prerequisite? Or is that just the way it worked out? I know when Paulson was hired that they did interview D1 assistants, and I know when ND was hired that there were D1 assistants interviewed. Why interview them if they don’t meet one of your prerequisites?

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-06-23 11:24 AM - Post#353269    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
Past coaching hires had head coach experience as a prerequisite ( not sure in Flannery’s case if it was actually required, but was for DP & ND.) If Truax follows that course, not an unreasonable one, it works against Griffin, whom I would love to see get the job. My gut says “no” to DP, you can’t go back, and a Fisherless DP does not excite me.
The road map has been to hire a successful D3 coach. Maybe the ND failure will result in a new map. Also Griffins family history may obviate the lack of actual HC experience. Hope so.

Do we know that was a prerequisite? Or is that just the way it worked out? I know when Paulson was hired that they did interview D1 assistants, and I know when ND was hired that there were D1 assistants interviewed. Why interview them if they don’t meet one of your prerequisites?

It probably doesn’t mean much, but when Truax has hired head coaches in other sports, it has been mixed as to whether they had head coaching experience. In football, women’s basketball, and men’s soccer the new head coach had previously been a head coach somewhere. In field hockey, volleyball, and softball the new coach had been the top assistant at a good program.

bison63 
Postdoc

03-06-23 01:06 PM - Post#353277    
    In response to Bison137

I thought it was a prerequisite with Hardt, but perhaps it was just a preference. In any event, it is a new AD now, and this will be the most significant hire he makes a Bucknell unless and until he has HCto hire another men’s hoop coach.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
03-06-23 01:46 PM - Post#353284    
    In response to bison63

• bison63 Said:
I thought it was a prerequisite with Hardt, but perhaps it was just a preference. In any event, it is a new AD now, and this will be the most significant hire he makes a Bucknell unless and until he has HCto hire another men’s hoop coach.

I think preference is the right word. When Davis was hired, the other two finalists did not have D1 head-coaching experience: Dane Fischer and Rice associate head coach Scott Pera. And in other sports, Hardt hired some with no head coaching experience. Perhaps his best hire was women’s soccer coach Kelly Cook, who was a Dartmouth assistant. .

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-06-23 05:40 PM - Post#353310    
    In response to Bison137

I can see value in any candidate type. Sure, it is nice to have been the leader of a program and all it entails, but it’s also nice to have D1 experience, even if an assistant, and understand recruiting/transfers/deal ing with higher profile athletes, etc….I almost would prefer someone with quality D1 experience.

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
03-12-23 03:31 PM - Post#353899    
    In response to bison63

This shows how much attention I've paid to Bucknell basketball in the last month! None . . .
New season, new team, new dream . . .

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.297 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:22 AM