Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: HIRE JOHN GRIFFIN        (Topic#27112)
Scotty-14 
Sophomore

Reg: 10-10-18
03-05-23 06:54 PM - Post#353214    

Road Warrior wrote a great outline of some of John Griffin's attributes that would make him a strong hire. I agree with all, but wanted to expand, as I see him as the clear-cut #1 Choice to make Bucknell Basketball Bucknell Basketball again.

1.Played in NCAA Tournaments at Bucknell

2.Coached in NCAA Tournaments at Bucknell

3. Developed talent at an unbelievably successful level. Does anyone remeber Stephen Brown's freshman year? Or Kimbal Mackenzie's? These guys went from acceptable PL backup guards to some of the most elite players at the Mid-Major level. I can confirm with certainty that John Griffin played a SIGNIFICANT part in the development of those players, and is largely the reason they are making money playing basketball today.

4.We played 12 guys from 2015-2019 and it WORKED!! We kept doing this after John left, and all of the sudden the wheels fell off. Why did this happen? Well, John was responsible for working with the guards and wings each and every day, and would implement things he saw from NBA games, other college games, our prior games etc into the structured workouts to start practice each day. What is a nice warm-up to practice for most teams, was a highly intentional, advanced skills work out that elevated the talent and confidence of our whole roster. John is very intense and passionate, but most importantly puts the time in to be educated and informed, which earns him the respect from the players.

5. John cares about the Student Section. One of the less talked about topics here (Probably because so much else has gone wrong), but something that has really bothered me for years. Back when John played, we had an amazing student section for every home game. A true home court advantage. The only coach on staff who had made any efforts to improve the student section was John. If he were running the program, the students would come back. Come back because he will put the time in to connect with them, and because we will win.

6. Players like playing for him, Coaches like coaching with him. His constant intensity can frustrate players at times, but I've never known a Bucknell player to look back on a season or career and not appreciate and John as a coach. He holds players to high standards, and expects their best. He sees the best version they can be of themselves, and tries his best to help them get there. Again, this goes back to his work ethic and knowledge. Passion and intensity is only great when it's paired with knowledge. He has all three. Furthermore, as intense as he is, he does not take things more seriously than they need to be taken, and thus knows how to work with other coaches. He doesn't demand perfection from those around him, and will never assert his power in order to belittle another coach or player. Clearly, this should be a given, but lately it seems many coaches around the country do not have this ability.

7. He's young and loyal. He won't build Bucknell back and leave. He's a guy that can be here for decades, despite consistent success. Bucknell is the best job in the Patriot League by a mile, and one of the stronger Mid-Major jobs in the country. John would not take this for granted, and would take pride in being the head of the program in his home state for many years to come.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
03-05-23 08:14 PM - Post#353220    
    In response to Scotty-14

Agree. I suggest that everyone who agrees share those thoughts with Jermaine Truax snd CC anyone else They can think of.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-05-23 08:34 PM - Post#353224    
    In response to Bison137

All good points and I sincerely hope John is the #1 choice. I do disagree with #7 on Scotty-14’s list. I can’t imagine any coach, really, having tons of success and turning down an opportunity for bigger, better paying jobs. Who wouldn’t want to double or triple your salary? But that whole discussion is putting the cart well before the horse. Let’s get a great coach, ideally John, and get back to not just winning, but pride in Bucknell basketball.

Paulie777 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-11-07
HIRE JOHN GRIFFIN
03-05-23 09:09 PM - Post#353232    
    In response to MrPhillie

I hope Griffin as coach comes to pass. He could cement himself into Bucknell athletic legacy just as Flannery did. I'm sure with a few solid Philly recruits we could be back before we know it and then back to winning ways! I lived back in Indiana in 2005(?) and had never stepped foot on the Bucknell Campus and that behind the back pass in the NCAA tournament Kansas game I thought to myself "that's confidence, attitude, cockyness and smoothness all rolled into one". Next thing I know I'm taking classes there. I'm all in with it.

Edited by Paulie777 on 03-05-23 09:20 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

river rat 
Sophomore

Reg: 12-01-06
HIRE JOHN GRIFFIN
03-07-23 02:51 AM - Post#353336    
    In response to Paulie777

Griffin does seem like an obvious short-list. The success while he was here as an assistant is an obvious attribute (and the decline after he left makes his stay look more impressive). The only knock I can see is that SJU has not been an successfully program since he arrive compared to their previous history. Obviously that is not John's complete doings but it does make me wonder about having Coach Lange and Coach Davis as your two main mentors in your relatively young coaching career. It would be nice if he was coming in having worked under a more successful coach. Also, when hiring a popular alumni, it is always good to ask yourself if the candidate would still be on the A-list even if they had no connection to Bucknell. Again there are a lot of positives for Griffin, but just playing a little devils advocate here.

Edited by river rat on 03-07-23 02:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-07-23 09:26 AM - Post#353340    
    In response to river rat

I understand those points but maybe it is offset by the fact he played for Coach Flannery during the most successful period of Bucknell basketball. My guess is John was a student of the game in all aspects during his stay in Lewisburg. Not to mention the fact that his father was a very successful coach in his own right.

bisonmania 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-26-07
03-07-23 12:25 PM - Post#353345    
    In response to MrPhillie

I am on this bandwagon 100%! But very little has been mentioned about how secure Billy Lange's job is at St. Joes. If Lange is let go Is John the next guy there?

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
03-07-23 01:41 PM - Post#353350    
    In response to bisonmania

Good point but usually the whole staff moves on.

A important question or two I would ask JG if I were on the search committee: At Bucknell and St. Joe which standout players did you personally recruit and then develop? Also, if we offer you the HC position, what is your recruiting strategy and whom would you bring in as an A+ assistant (or two) to recruit?

I state these thoughts because DP often said his first call was to Dane Fischer upon getting the Bison HC offer. First call was to Dane and then DP called his wife! Funny story but a lot to be said there. Very true about getting the right horses to run the race.

Last Q for today: Do we have any true Insiders on this Board who know who’s getting interviewed on campus? And who’s on our search committee?

Hope we’re not interviewing anyone by Zoom….

BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-08-23 12:18 AM - Post#353422    
    In response to Doktore K

This 2017 profile of then-Bison assistant Griffin is worth reading again:
https://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/news_article/...

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
03-08-23 08:01 AM - Post#353432    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

As others have stated, obvious short list candidate. My only question is that I have never seen comments that John was responsible for a great recruiting class anywhere. No evidence at St. Joes of solid recruiting even though its in an area that produces great players on a yearly basis. If personality, energy, and player development were the only points, he would already have the job.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-08-23 10:10 AM - Post#353443    
    In response to HoleinOne

"I think he’s got a good personality to balance with mine, he’s a little more fiery than I am," Davis said. "He’s a little more intense, he wears it more on his sleeve than I do."

Understatement, Amen.

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
03-08-23 10:42 AM - Post#353458    
    In response to Bison54

Maybe I’m stating the obvious, but my view is that recruiting (talent) establishes a team’s ceiling. Coaching then determines how close to that ceiling they get. If we want a high ceiling, and I think we do, I’d like to know who all the D1 assistants we’re considering (John included) have personally recruited.

Bison54 
PhD Student
Bison54
Reg: 11-18-09
03-08-23 11:15 AM - Post#353464    
    In response to bison75

So John was an assistant from 2015 to 2019 (4 seasons).

I have no direct knowledge of who recruited who, but we could make some generalizations by looking at Freshman players in each of the five seasons beginning with 15-16.

2015-16. Unlikely that JG recruited any of these players, but he may have been involved in retaining them through the coaching change. Players: Kimball MacKenzie, Nate Sestina, Nate Jones, Matt O'Reilly

2016-17. Avi Toomer, Bruce Moore, Ben Robertson

2017-18. Paul Newman, Jimmy Sotos, Jordan Sechan, John Meeks

2018-19. Walter Ellis, Andrew Funk, Kahiel Spear

2019-20. (Although JG had left, probably involved in recruiting these players: Malachi Rhodes, Xander Rice, Alex Timmerman

As I said, I don't know about specific recruiting, but John's presence had to been a part of bringing these players on and in retaining them. Also, notice that players didn't start leaving until after John left.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.529 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 07:54 PM