Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Colgate Roster and Look Forward        (Topic#27137)
Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
03-11-23 01:03 PM - Post#353701    

I wish Colgate success in the upcoming NCAA tournament as they should represent the PL very well. Maybe even win a game in round 1.

As I assess our situation as a cellar dweller vs. the league kingpin, I took a close look at the Colgate roster. How are they achieving such success as a top program? Note that I state program and not team. There is a difference.

Colgate is clicking on all 4 cylinders of basketball success: recruiting, player development, use of transfer portal, and lack of players transferring out. Don’t need to state the obvious here but Bucknell has struck out on most of these over the past 4 years.

I won’t over analyze our situation here. But the new HC and his staff not only need to recruit much better but also develop players better and lobby the Administration better for 5th year players and more incoming transfers. Enough of this “holier than thou” type policy for our basketball and football rosters when our PEER schools are all open to more flexible policies.

Colgate currently has 4 seniors and 2 5th year players. The Raider roster lists them all as seniors. Total point production per game is 50 points. One of the 5th year players is Lynch-Daniels who averaged over 12 points per game at 25 years old!

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-11-23 01:12 PM - Post#353703    
    In response to Doktore K

Certainly Colgate, and Coach Langel in particular, are the cream of the PL crop and have been. Their current run of success is probably the best in PL history (other than winning NCAA tourney games, yes, their success eclipses Bucknell’s.) I agree with pretty much everything stated, but I’m not sure how many players would’ve stayed for a 5th year recently even if they could. Andrew Funk wouldn’t have stayed at Bucknell to continue losing with Davis et al when he had Power 5 options….his experience at PSU is an amazing time for him. Maybe if Bucknell was winning as in previous runs of success players may stay. Also, when will the 5th year option stop?

Doktore K 
Masters Student

Reg: 11-11-09
03-15-23 08:09 AM - Post#354220    
    In response to MrPhillie

Thanks for your comments but don’t agree that Colgate’s recent success in the PL eclipses what Bucknell has achieved over many PL years and even decades. Go back to Coach Woollum and the PF years and Bucknell has been the standard of success, with a few dips of course.

Give Colgate lots of credit for tremendous run over past 5 or 6 years under Langel. But with DP and then his recruits leading the way, we won 8 of 9 regular season titles in the PL and went to the NCAA tournament 4 times during that span. Also had multiple Players of the Year and cheered as Mike Muscala was drafted by the NBA.

We’re still at the top over the history of the PL. And we will be back!

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.384 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:34 PM