Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Username Post: Princeton ILT Final        (Topic#27144)
gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
03-12-23 04:01 PM - Post#353915    
    In response to TigerFan

This is why I love the Ivy Tourney despite last year's crushing disappointment. So many more teams (and their fans) are excited and involved.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
03-12-23 04:30 PM - Post#353925    
    In response to gokinsmen

Just fwiw, the notoriously understated James Jones also thinks the reffing was one-sided.

gokinsmen 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-06-10
Princeton ILT Final
03-12-23 04:42 PM - Post#353928    
    In response to iogyhufi

Despite my great respect for JJ, I wouldn't call him "understated." Not only do I think he's the most fiery, emotional coach in the conference, but that's what I admire most about him.

I'll never forget him screaming and flailing at halfcourt to spark that 19pt comeback against us. I wish Mitch would do that when our guys get too lackadaisical. But it's disappointing to see Jones engage in sour grapes.

For all my complaints about MH, I always admire his extreme class. For example, we had a game-ending Navy non-call that was ten times worse than any call Yale faced today. But MH didn't "go off" on the refs, even though I really wanted him to, ha.

1LotteryPick1969 
Postdoc
1LotteryPick1969
Loc: Sandy, Utah
Reg: 11-21-04
Re: Princeton ILT Final
03-12-23 04:58 PM - Post#353931    
    In response to gokinsmen

• gokinsmen Said:
Despite my great respect for JJ, I wouldn't call him "understated." Not only do I think he's the most fiery, emotional coach in the conference, but that's what I admire most about him.

I'll never forget him screaming and flailing at halfcourt to spark that 19pt comeback against us. I wish Mitch would do that when our guys get too lackadaisical. But it's disappointing to see Jones engage in sour grapes.

For all my complaints about MH, I always admire his extreme class. For example, we had a game-ending Navy non-call that was ten times worse than any call Yale faced today. But MH didn't "go off" on the refs, even though I really wanted him to, ha.

And not too understated to speak ill of the deceased:

"Great interview with Coach Jones on local TV. He tells an amusing story about Pete Carril being a jerk to him without cause in his first year of coaching for Yale (I'm editorializing, he told it much more positively)."

Tiger81 
Masters Student
Tiger81
Loc: Montclair, NJ
03-12-23 05:01 PM - Post#353932    
    In response to iogyhufi

There were 18 fouls called on Princeton and 20 on Yale and before the final minute of play those totals were 17 for Princeton and 13 for Yale. You can dispute specific calls or non-calls but Yale was called for fewer fouls when the game was in doubt notwithstanding Coach Jones’ post-game comments.

Yale has owned Princeton for a while now and just beat the Tigers on the same court (with the same sight lines, by the way) in devastating fashion. Coach Jones, Yale fans, and oddly, Penn fans, were deflated by the outcome of the game; it seems that the natural state of the universe was somehow disrupted by Princeton’s win in which they were ahead for 89% of the game.

Princeton won today because they outplayed Yale, plain and simple, which is the same reason they won yesterday against Penn.

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
03-12-23 05:31 PM - Post#353937    
    In response to Tiger81

Well said!

mmp629 
Junior
mmp629
Reg: 11-22-04
03-12-23 05:35 PM - Post#353939    
    In response to iogyhufi

Coach Jones, of course, is a completely unbiased observer so if he says it, it must be true.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Re: Princeton ILT Final
03-12-23 05:52 PM - Post#353942    
    In response to 1LotteryPick1969

• gokinsmen Said:

And not too understated to speak ill of the deceased:

"Great interview with Coach Jones on local TV. He tells an amusing story about Pete Carril being a jerk to him without cause in his first year of coaching for Yale (I'm editorializing, he told it much more positively)."

I'm sorry you had to find out Pete Carril was a cranky old git posthumously.

Edited by iogyhufi on 03-12-23 05:52 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

03-12-23 05:56 PM - Post#353943    
    In response to Tiger81

• Tiger81 Said:
There were 18 fouls called on Princeton and 20 on Yale and before the final minute of play those totals were 17 for Princeton and 13 for Yale. You can dispute specific calls or non-calls but Yale was called for fewer fouls when the game was in doubt notwithstanding Coach Jones’ post-game comments.

Yale has owned Princeton for a while now and just beat the Tigers on the same court (with the same sight lines, by the way) in devastating fashion. Coach Jones, Yale fans, and oddly, Penn fans, were deflated by the outcome of the game; it seems that the natural state of the universe was somehow disrupted by Princeton’s win in which they were ahead for 89% of the game.

Princeton won today because they outplayed Yale, plain and simple, which is the same reason they won yesterday against Penn.

I agree, Princeton played better and deserved to win. Separately, your team got the benefit of every block/charge call (and before you get all het up about Tosan, your team got away with equally much slap-fouling). Both things can be true.

Also, Mitch Henderson is behind only Mike Martin in on-court demonstrativeness and Jones is usually very reserved, I have no Earthly idea which coaches you think you're watching.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-12-23 06:52 PM - Post#353958    
    In response to iogyhufi

james Jones is probably the least demonstrative coach I have seen in d1 hoops at this juncture today

Now this has evolved over the years
He was the opposite when I played for him. And he has said this repeatedly.

I wish he got more fired up like at the start of this game at his own team anyway.

Regardless there are always bull crap plays in a game ref calls and the like.

But princeton won. Congratulations and good luck in the tournament!

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
03-12-23 06:56 PM - Post#353960    
    In response to james

I knew it wasn’t our day on the no call before halftime on the 3 ball.
Then down 61-58 mahoney misses the front end of a 1 and 1. Never happens.

Some of the block charge calls sucked no doubt.

But I was impressed by pierce and princetons tenacity on defense and the boards and Tosan is just a great player obviously.

Going forward yale is also in a good spot.

2 words Samson aletan! Wait until you see this beast

TigerFan 
PhD Student

03-12-23 07:17 PM - Post#353967    
    In response to james

Pretty sure I saw Justin Sears at Jadwin (If not, it was his twin). Great player.

SRP 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-04-06
03-12-23 07:29 PM - Post#353972    
    In response to TigerFan

The biggest officiating problem was that for the first 30 minutes they called nothing—my Tiger eyes saw Langborg get hacked after a pump fake caused the defender to come down on him without a whistle, for example—but then they started calling all sorts of random contact in the last part of the game. Usually if refs swallow their whistles it’s at the end where they don’t want to “decide the game.”

Page 2 of 2 ALL<12
Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.188 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 04:37 AM