BisonRoadWarrior 
Professor
BisonRoadWarrior
Loc: Where the Bison Roam
Reg: 08-16-06
03-26-23 04:06 PM - Post#355116    

Transferring this comment into a new thread:
  • Bison69 Said:
I know next to nothing about how NIL actually works but apparently alumni groups are instrumental in setting up NIL programs for the athletes they want to attract whether it be incoming freshmen or transferees. All of this plays into the hands of the P5 programs so don't expect to see changes any time soon. Nevertheless, while we get eaten by the bigger fish, in order to compete we will have to ensure that our own NIL programs enable us to compensate by attracting freshmen and transfers from lesser programs in turn. When Truax was talking about looking for a candidate who could recruit and develop kids, I suspect it's more important they succeed in working the transfer portal and building up NIL resources.

I agree with you that, unless we turn Ken Langone into a hoops fanatic, it's hard to see how Bucknell can meaningfully compete on NIL with major programs.

Bucknell typically has fewer total living alumni than those programs have current undergrads. We just don't have enough wealthy hoops fans to contrive NIL deals as incentives for players to come to Bucknell or stay there.

Nor is the Lewisburg market sufficiently stocked with businesses that would want to drop six-figure bundles on individual players.

I'm not one to be defeatist, but where NIL is concerned, I think we're stuck in a scenario where, if we get and develop players who would excel at major programs, we're going to see them enticed with NIL packages that won't be matched by the posters here nor sponsors like the Lewisburg Hotel.

As for building our NIL program to a level that helps us pluck off players from lesser programs, I wonder how much money would be meaningful enough to affect the decision-making of those players?

mcapodee 
Sophomore

Reg: 01-29-06
03-27-23 09:45 AM - Post#355139    
    In response to BisonRoadWarrior

Maybe one of us will hit the Power Ball when it's high nine figures.

MrPhillie 
Postdoc
MrPhillie
Loc: NE PA
Reg: 07-14-08
03-27-23 05:11 PM - Post#355187    
    In response to mcapodee

I think it is so difficult for small market, mid majors or even low majors to really get a handle on NIL. Zero chance to compete for players. A player goes to a smaller school and becomes a star, they are going to a bigger school almost every time. It is really kinda sad for smaller programs and fans. Any chance CJ stays at Lehigh if he was playing today? For that matter, what about Mike?

JimK_LU72 
Freshman

Loc: Allentown
Reg: 02-03-18
NIL
03-27-23 05:15 PM - Post#355188    
    In response to mcapodee

Actually I'm not sure NIL will affect the Patriot league as much as some think. The athletes getting these NIL deals probably would not have been in our league anyway. At least not as freshmen. We may lose them to big money later when someone turns into a star. but let's see how things level out after the money people spend big on their first few big duds.

I think NIL is a huge problem for many in the Big East. Smaller schools, less Alumni, etc. versus monster sized state schools.

To me the transfer portal is a much bigger issue for us. Can congress somehow write legislation to fix this and not conflict with the constitution? Transfers sitting out a year seemed to work just fine.

Edited by JimK_LU72 on 03-27-23 05:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

HoleinOne 
Masters Student

Loc: Bluffton, SC
Reg: 02-15-09
Re: NIL
03-28-23 05:07 PM - Post#355248    
    In response to JimK_LU72

Agree that the transfer portal could greatly reduce Bucknell's and Patriot League's chances of long-term success. Regarding NIL, several top tier schools such as UConn, have reported deals where every member of basketball team, men and women, receive NIL money. I would be curious if Bucknell student athletes have had this same advantage.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.976 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 12:49 PM