Untitled Document
American Army Bucknell Colgate Holy Cross Lafayette Lehigh Navy

Username Post: Coach Davis - Saint or Sinner ?        (Topic#27225)
candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
Reg: 01-10-10
04-08-23 05:06 PM - Post#355671    

We Bison fans know that there was "mutual agreement" between Nathan Davis and the Bucknell AD. Truax, to "part company" at this time.

We also know that Davis was highly competent as a coach for his first four years at Bucknell, inheriting one of the best teams Bucknell has ever had.

Then came the last four years with players leaving, Covid, poor recruiting and LAST PLACE (?) in the Patriot League the last two years dominating the picture.

But when you read Davis University of New Hampshire Welcome, including the testimonials of Flattery and other coaches, you get a far different picture of the Davis tenure at Bucknell, with a blackout of the last four years.

This is to be expected, I suppose. We wish Davis well, but we've seen the recruiting level sink to two last place finishes, unable to compete with nine other teams in the League?

Old saying in Baseball is the Managers don't hit, pitch nor catch, so don't blame them! However in this case, it seems that a Head Coach IS to blame, since he recruits, hires, and coaches.

So where does the truth lie for Nathan Davis career at Bucknell these last 8 years?

We know the GOOD, but what about the BAD and the UGLY?

Read his UNH Welcome here: then your comments welcome!
https://unhwildcats.com/news/2023/4/7/nathan- davis...

bison75 
Masters Student

Reg: 01-26-06
04-08-23 08:04 PM - Post#355673    
    In response to candyfan

I watched the video of his welcoming press conference at UNH, and it struck me as odd that none of the reporters asked him what happened in his final four years at Bucknell.

HuskyColonial 
PhD Student

Reg: 02-17-12
04-08-23 08:57 PM - Post#355674    
    In response to bison75

I honestly don’t care what happens to Nathan Davis. He was a terrible head coach at Bucknell in every regard.

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
04-09-23 12:41 AM - Post#355676    
    In response to HuskyColonial

Correction on 1st post above: should read:

Pat Flannery

bison63 
Postdoc

Reg: 01-23-06
Coach Davis - Saint or Sinner ?
04-09-23 12:49 PM - Post#355684    
    In response to candyfan

The fact is Nathan Davis played a major role in Bucknell’s hoops success over the past 20 years! Was it time for a change? Yes! But it reflects no credit on those of us on this board to demean the position he now is going to hold, or to wish him ill. I am thrilled that we have Coach Griff at the helm now, and I hope Coach Davis goes 31-0 ot UNH (unless they play the Bison)

Bison89 
Professor
Bison89
Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-14-07
04-09-23 05:41 PM - Post#355688    
    In response to bison63

As an outsider looking in, it seemed like Coach Davis lost his desire to coach, at least at Bucknell. We all go through ups and downs in life, but a 4 year downward trend for a D1 head coach is pretty bad.

Did he leave Bucknell in a better position to succeed than he found it on the day that he arrived? Nope, he ran the program into the ground. While I can't forgive Coach Davis for the terrible job that he did coaching over the last 4 years, I still wish him nothing but good luck going forward. I hope that he gets his mojo back.
New season, new team, new dream . . .

candyfan 
Masters Student
candyfan
05-28-23 05:14 AM - Post#356473    
    In response to Bison89

Of course, one cannot overlook the four man coaching staff Davis employed over the last four years of lackluster play by Bucknell.

We may never know how much of the burden of continuing Patriot League Championship flags flying at Bucknell was the result of poor recruiting on the part of Paul Harrison and the rest?

IF that was the case, then it might follow that this all happened during Davis watch. So did he have the wrong people on the recruiting war path, or was it more about the fall of the Patriot League?

Yes, the Patriot League has seemingly taken a hit with all the new (silly, politically correct and otherwise foolish) rules in place via the NCAA. At times it has seemed as though the PatLeague has lost more then we've gained, to the Big Ten and other big boys of the NCAA?

Thank you Jack Forest for helping the balance tip back to the plus side for Bucknell via St. Josephs!

If players such as Spear and Jimmy Sotos had stayed, would the last four yrs. have been losers?

Comments welcome.

Bison137 
Professor
Bison137
Reg: 01-23-06
05-28-23 12:18 PM - Post#356475    
    In response to candyfan

• candyfan Said:

Yes, the Patriot League has seemingly taken a hit with all the new (silly, politically correct and otherwise foolish) rules in place via the NCAA. At times it has seemed as though the PatLeague has lost more then we've gained, to the Big Ten and other big boys of the NCAA?

Thank you Jack Forest for helping the balance tip back to the plus side for Bucknell via St. Josephs!

If players such as Spear and Jimmy Sotos had stayed, would the last four yrs. have been losers?

1. The entire PL plays under the same rules. Bucknell went from dominating the league under PF and DP to being one of the league's worst teams once ND had his own recruits in place. There is no excuse for this.

2. Hypothesizing about what might have been if the transfers did not leave to me is rather pointless, since most of them left BECAUSE of Nathan Davis. He was not a victim but rather the cause.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.53 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 05:11 AM