Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Roster        (Topic#27403)
james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
08-21-23 09:28 PM - Post#357678    

Great to see Samson and Casey welcomed. Whew.

given wolf's breakout this summer; the younger townsend balling out in Europa; its exciting to see what i think is Yale's deepest roster on paper that i have ever seen (1994 on)

The trick is how do you find enough balls for this group.

managing this is a high class problem but not easy.

james had a deep bench in his first few yrs including his inaugural championship year.

What does he do this year? This is a tough ooc schedule. But some of these newcomers have to play even assuming they arent an NIL/transfer risk

I wonder if he presses more given the athleticism and rim protection and spreads minutes.

i could easily see 10-12 warranting material minutes.

hopefully everyone stays healthy but if so this will be quite a competitive conundrum.

For ex, I dont expect samson to be an offensive juggernaut from day 1 but he could have a dudley-like defensive impact immediately

Simmons also from a different angle at the wing position

this could be quite the shuffle. To be a fly on the wall in preseason runs and practice...

james 
Masters Student

08-25-23 11:18 AM - Post#357720    
    In response to james

*12+ warrant playing time
17 players and i say 12 but truth is its a hard number to whittle it down too

James indicated as much in his ivyhoops interview

2001-2 is a long time ago but platooning was his answer.
the trick is rhythm and consistency. The advantage is muted somewhat by fewer back to backs.
More recently leonard hamilton did this effectively.

it works best when you use pressure even extending in half court man to man and have a low spread bt stars and average.
I see this here for now.

But i wont be able to see a practice until maybe december/january so imagine we'll know more by then

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
08-30-23 12:00 PM - Post#357745    
    In response to james

Another big advantage of having that many playable players is injury-proofing. Easier to do next man up if need be, plus you don't have to play guys as many minutes so the stresses on joints and such are lower.

I'm very excited about the season to come. It has a chance to be really special for Yale if they play to their potential.

james 
Masters Student

08-30-23 04:13 PM - Post#357750    
    In response to iogyhufi

Yea i think the disadvantages are obvious. Keeping guys content, consistent and rhythm etc. and in close ones you need a rotating alpha dog

The advantages i think are as you cite and hopefully the practices are brutally competitive

But there will be dilemmas such as samson if i am right and casey is a high major athlete even if his jumper is weak
So how do you best cope with that vs the alternative
Certainly yale has the advantage of hopefully being a destination and not a pit stop so playing time for the sake of it might not be his answer

Preseason practice would be fun to observe this year

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.478 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:56 PM