Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Vassar        (Topic#27487)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
10-31-23 03:16 PM - Post#358679    

Obviously, this isn't the most interesting game next week, but it's the first. I'm rooting for no injuries.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
11-01-23 05:28 PM - Post#358694    
    In response to iogyhufi

rothstein reporting that knowling is practicing again after re-injuring his ankle

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-01-23 08:08 PM - Post#358695    
    In response to james

Back against the Zags! Good, he'll be needed. Gonzaga feels gettable to me - they're still good but not as dominant as in recent years.

james 
Masters Student

11-02-23 12:35 PM - Post#358707    
    In response to iogyhufi

ya. will be a chore on the road of course.
curious in how we push them and what the rotations are.
hope knowling has some lift.
he didnt at end of year which hurt against power 5 vandy.
honestly biggest change in his game over 3 yrs is his ability to put the left handed hammer down in traffic.
his length and hand size offsets his lower height against the big boys or can.
but he needs his legs

james 
Masters Student

11-03-23 11:08 PM - Post#358747    
    In response to james

watched a few mins of gonzagas exhibition...

the tough part for us is its strength on strength. nembhardt at pg is sick. ask princeton. and they are deep with bigs who are complementary.
so its a really tough test. we will find out a lot in the paint early. they have great length at guard/forward so that will pose a challenge to shooters. venters kid played and lost to yale last year so not sneaking up on him.
mbeng will have to play well and stay out of foul trouble and we have to battle in the pivot AND shoot well on the road.
they beat baylor though admittedly this exhibition was vassar++
anyway i am impressed by this gonzaga team of portal transfers and redshirts

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-06-23 10:31 PM - Post#358828    
    In response to james

That game shows why you play Vassar first. Some sloppy stuff that you won't be able to get away with against better competition, but you can see flashes of some real quality. Looking forward to Friday night.

james 
Masters Student

11-06-23 10:57 PM - Post#358831    
    In response to iogyhufi

the worst games we played were against d3 in college
these games are worthless.
you have 7 footers guarding 6'3 guys launching 3s w long rebounds
and you get hacked when u try to take someone bc they are tough kids and know what their advantage is

would be better off with another secrrt scrimmage

only takeaway i had was
nick townsend is a beast at ivy level
can he do it to a power 5? as he is undersized but so damn strong esp in lower body
knowling still has no lift yet which sucks

samson with his hair is like his namesake
i knew this but we have never had a kid this big, athletic and strong as a freshman
those 2 dunks are on heads even if its vasser
we had dudley and neil yanke and dominick martin and even bruner
but they were all nothing like this physically at 18. or even 22 in most cases though more skilled, yes
frankly he reminds me of bruner with his explosion pre like jordans 4th knee surgery as a freshman when he was dunking on guys off his 2nd jump
but samsons legs are raw power

otherwise we were rough but a helter skelter game against a d3 team is impossible to evaluate

james 
Masters Student

11-06-23 11:02 PM - Post#358833    
    In response to james

i also think this rotation is so confusing and hard.

the poker tell is likely townsend, gharram, samson and simmons off bench first in whatever order.

this assumes knowling gets healthy soon.

if its not samson or he isnt ready it will be molloy bc he can body a big guy and maybe create some issues on other end.
so thats your 10 for gonzaga anyway

james 
Masters Student

11-06-23 11:07 PM - Post#358834    
    In response to james

samson clearly passed yussif in rotation.
two seniors riding pine isnt easy so thats a statement and a challenge.
yussif had some higher offers than yale. he is thin but quite an athlete himself
the good news is samson has good hands and moved the ball well for a young big.
but thats vasser so ghe bigger read is he passed yussif

james 
Masters Student

11-08-23 09:04 AM - Post#358907    
    In response to james

sorry paul atkinson. i forgot you above. best post moves in yale history!

Bryan 
Junior

Loc: Philadelphia
Reg: 11-21-04
11-09-23 09:43 PM - Post#358973    
    In response to james

james, on your quote:

the worst games we played were against d3 in college
these games are worthless.

I'm under the impression that one of the main reasons Ivy coaches all now play at least one D3 game is that it gives them a chance to play the non-regular rotation players for 10 minutes or so. Isn't that valuable in keeping those players motivated to practice hard and help those in the regular rotation to get better?

james 
Masters Student

11-09-23 11:31 PM - Post#358974    
    In response to Bryan

It's a fair point. Times have changed but we used to do 1-2 scrimmages against travelling teams also . Not secret scrimmages as they were open to spectators etc but didn't count for w/l

And we played a Swarthmore or whatever. And we had a couple jv type games against elite postgrads. When you sum it up it was helpful.

But now the team has greater depth of talent lower margin of talent gap (I think based on what JJ says) or variance and maybe 2 seniors not playing much. So feel like 1 d3 game isnnt helpful unless they were like a Williams or whomever is elite at that level

I get the sense James kind of likes a live game experience and he wants an OOC he game which he can't get anymore also

james 
Masters Student

11-09-23 11:38 PM - Post#358976    
    In response to james

Lastly I hate all my double+ posts but...
When I say "worthless" no disrespect to the competition but does it help us to play Vassar and then flip around and play the #11 team in d1?
Maybe it helps a frosh like Samson find the scorers table but a blue white scrimmage with fans and refs might be better prep for the speed and size he is Abt to see assuming he gets time in real game 1? Forgetting another secret scrimmage. My concern is Yale played LIU and BU tho. Why not st John's or UConn? Imagine those are easier to sked than live games givdn the tier system bs
What I meant by "worthless"

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.199 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 01:35 AM