Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Columbia Down at Providence 42-27 at Halftime        (Topic#27507)
Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-14-06
11-06-23 09:21 PM - Post#358819    

Another disappointing start for the Lions as the Lions stayed with a strong Providence team for about the first ten minutes only to have Coach Engles inexplicably remove his hottest two shooters-- DeLaRosa and McLean-- off the court where they stayed for most of the rest of the half. Engles who looked bewildered from afar, finally remembered that it makes no sense to remove your best players from the court, but it was too late to stop the Friars from getting way out ahead. Other disappointments: (1) Avery Brown Hardly played; (2) Blair Thompson hardly played; (3) Columbia's only Division I recruit Arop Arop did not play; (4) Only one member of the coaching staff appeared to be interested in the game; (5) No evidence of a team identity or upbeat tempo style. Hopefully, we will some evidence in the second half that Engles knows how to coach.

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

11-06-23 11:16 PM - Post#358835    
    In response to Columbia 37P6

The highlight of the game was when Engles actually called a time out which enabled Columbia to retain possession of the ball. Otherwise, he was badly outcoached by Providence's Kim English who was coaching only his first game as the Friars Head Coach. The 78-59 final score reflected the obvious superiority of Providence's frontcourt as the Lions looked even weaker than they did last year up front. The missing players up front included Columbia's only strong center the 6'9" 245 Jake Tavroff who I presume is injured. The very talented Bedri played some, but was not a factor. The only Lion big who played well was Blair Thompson, but Engles made sure that he didn't get much playing time. Zavian McLean looked very good when Engles allowed him to play,but took him out when he got hot. The other Lion bigs seemed lost. Engles wasted the talented backcourt pair of Brown and DeLaRosa. Hopefully, Engles and his staff learned something tonight that will help the team prepare for the home opener this weekend against Albany. I do believe that we have some very talented players on this team, and Columbia will win some games this year if the AD Pilling replaces Engles in the next week or two with one of the current assistant coaches, or almost any experienced basketball coach who knows how to win. Otherwise Columbia is likely to finish in the Ivy League cellar for the third straight year.

cc66 
Postdoc

Reg: 10-09-09
11-06-23 11:27 PM - Post#358836    

Did anyone see Tavroff on the bench? He's still on the roster, but is he injured?

They could have used him upfront.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-21-04
11-07-23 01:35 PM - Post#358861    
    In response to cc66

"Avery Brown hardly played"--? "Blair Thompson hardly played"--? De la Rosa was off the court for the rest of the first half?

Are you playing with a full deck or is your pathological animus towards the coach interfering with your cognitive capacities? Avery Brown played 30 minutes and took the largest number of shots (14). Blair Thompson played 29 minutes. Geronimo played 33 minutes. What are you talking about?

Columbia 37P6 
Postdoc

11-07-23 07:11 PM - Post#358889    
    In response to Dr. V

Easy does it Dr. V....I will ignore your uncalled for insults and personal attack on me for the comments I posted during halftime of last night's game between Columbia and Providence. I assume you mistakenly confused my halftime post with my later post-game post. Without the benefit of a timesheet, and perhaps inarticulately, I said at halftime that the Lions started the game well, but for whatever reason Coach Engles took out his hot handed shooters and other starters which enabled Providence to blow-out Columbia by halftime. My recollection today is about the same as my comments made during halftime yesterday, although with hindsight, I admit that it would have been better if I clarified the two "hardly played" comments to mean more precisely "hardly played" in the remainder of the first half. This morning the official write-up of the game appeared on the Columbia Athletic Website. The relevant part does support my informal fan comment during halftime last night. Here it is: "In less than a two minute span midway the first half, McLean laid in three baskets for his first six points of the season. The Lions trailed 23-19 at the under eight mark timeout. The Friars rattled off a 15-4 run over the last 5:00 of the half to take a a 42-27 lead into the break."

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-07-23 09:25 PM - Post#358896    

Is this a good time to point out that Rubio de la Rosa returned to the game with 9:53 left in the first half and remained in the game for the rest of the half (so theentire period where providence pulled away)? And that Thompson played 15 minutes of the first half (and only sat 2 minutes in the final 10)? It is true that McLean left the game at 23-19, and they were down 11 when he returned a couple minutes later. And Brown did sit the last 6 minutes or so. Don’t want to be too hard on folks venting during the games, but a lot of what you “saw” isn’t supported by the record.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
11-08-23 01:02 PM - Post#358911    
    In response to SomeGuy

May I be so bold as to suggest that ad hominem attacks on bloggers are uncalled for, unless the target is Joseph Massad, Katherine Franke, and all campus supporters of Hamas.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

11-08-23 04:13 PM - Post#358922    
    In response to Chet Forte

As the above has demonstrated relating to verifiable facts, you are, to put it kindly, a fabulist.

You have for months relentlessly and shamelessly, shamelessly because you hide behind the curtain of anonymity, ripped our coach. Above there is your "Engles who looked bewildered from afar" or your "some evidence in the second half that Engles knows how to coach" or your "[Engles] was badly outreached" by the Providence coach and on and on. Without any specific instances to back such comments up, that is all nonsense and analogous to an ad hominem attack that your buddy now complains about. Are you someone who, for example, has some coaching or related experience who can accurately point to specific things that happened or did not happen to back up your verbal diarrhea about someone knowing or not knowing how to coach?

If you have something of merit to bring to someone's attention, of which there is yet to be any evidence, go see the AD and share. Otherwise stop the mindless vitriol.

Chet Forte 
Postdoc

Reg: 03-02-08
11-08-23 10:19 PM - Post#358948    
    In response to Dr. V

Do we have anybody on our roster who has all Ivy potential? During the last few Kyle Smith years we always had several players on our roster who either were or should have been first or second team all Ivy. If the answer is no, this will be another long season.

SomeGuy 
Professor

Reg: 11-22-04
11-09-23 11:39 AM - Post#358960    
    In response to Chet Forte

Hopefully there wasn’t anything in my post that read as an attack, let alone an ad hominem one.

Dr. V 
PhD Student

11-10-23 01:28 PM - Post#358983    
    In response to SomeGuy

I was able to watch the Providence game last night. We actually played pretty well against the toughest opponent we will have all season long. Providence is # 54 on KenPom; we are 264. Providence is taller, stronger and simply has better and more experienced players than we do. We shot horribly but we played good D the entire game, passed well and battled on the boards.

The comments I criticized above are even more meritless than I had noted.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.6 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 10:21 AM