Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Gardner-Webb        (Topic#27565)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
11-19-23 10:02 AM - Post#359467    

The Bulldogs have a chance to make up for last night. Gardner-Webb seems to play an aggressive style of defense and an up-tempo offense, so Yale will have to be careful on both sides, especially on the third day in a row with a game, when everyone is tired.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
11-19-23 12:06 PM - Post#359472    
    In response to iogyhufi

I like our freshmen. It is just going to take some time for them to get accustomed to college ball. I really believe that both Davis and Huggins will be major contributors by the end of the year.

jeromelh 
Junior

Reg: 03-30-17
11-19-23 05:55 PM - Post#359479    
    In response to jeromelh

I meant to post this on the Princeton board. Oh well that’s what happens when you become an octogenarian.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-19-23 07:06 PM - Post#359483    
    In response to jeromelh

The positive spin on this weekend is as follows:
lot of learning opportunities came about. Two overtime games gave good crunch time experience. They needed to learn how to win when shots aren't falling.

lot of toughness shown. Didn't back down when Weber State but them down big late nor when GW made that huge comeback.

Danny Wolf. That is all.

A lot of really really good ball movement from almost everyone on the floor.

They did a good job neutralizing other teams' first options.

The negative spin:

There was a lot of getting frustrated and out-hustled.

They let teams bait them into some ill-advised shots, and the bench had, to put it charitably, not a great offensive showing.

Sure, they showed toughness in those last two games, but against teams they should've beaten. They let Gardner Webb get WAY too many dunks and layups from hustle alone. There's a lot to fix going forward

I think I tend to believe the former more than the latter. When you don't make shots, wins are gonna be tough, and these teams may not be great, but they're solid. Yale did well enough to go 2-1, and it's better to struggle now and fix it now than to have that stuff happen later. They'll get a nice long week to rest up and prepare for URI.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Gardner-Webb
11-19-23 11:49 PM - Post#359503    
    In response to iogyhufi

Ray Curren came out of basketball-writing retirement to report on the Atlantic Slam: https://ivyhoopsonline.com/2023/11/19/yale-mens- ba...

Perhaps of note - "There was one thing Jones was worried about after the Weber State loss, however, especially from his leaders. He knows the key to success year after year has a lot to do with the mental game and this is the time of year where he needs to hone that as well.

'I thought some of our demons showed up tonight, and we didn’t play through some stuff that we’re going to need to play through,' Jones said after the loss. 'They did some things defensively and took some things away and instead of going to the next thing, we kind of sulked and didn’t step up.'"

Edited by iogyhufi on 11-19-23 11:49 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
11-20-23 08:46 PM - Post#359528    
    In response to iogyhufi

finally got to see some of the games from sat and sunday.
the insinuation from the writer isnt particularly fair but i watched the same games as James it appears.

i think the sulking theme is a sticky one so far. as is the matchup zone.
we obviously dont look as good offensively but 3 games/3 days it was far from a disaster.

but the perception is a bit over the skis from reality. our shooting depth has been exposed as has the bench.
i for one feel like james needs to play more guys in small amts and trust he will find it.

wolf was great. mahoney was solid when on the floor. but we need 2 shooters always on the floor and his foul trouble didnt help. and we likely need some guys to step up and hit some damn shots.

the foul line killed us on saturday (and that trickling to the boards) to James' point. sunday it was the match up zone in the 2h.

anyway i was impressed by the athleticism and coaching of the opponents and my guess is the quality of opponents was given short shrift by the writer. but i guess we'll see

we have tons of room for improvement individually and collectively. warts are being exposed but i hope they are growing pains.

james 
Masters Student

11-20-23 08:51 PM - Post#359529    
    In response to james

it was no surprise that GW took what WS did against us effectively and applied it with a similar athletic profile. this is the trick of back to backs. the unfortunate thing for us is it worked so we need to fix it.

lastly the games were very physical. the other teams matched up well in terms of size and athleticism.
and we played 3 in 3 days.

i expect a few of the guys to revert to previous performance means. i just dont know when.

but we need some bench contribution consistently and we need to better attack a smart strategy against this team, the matchup zone

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-21-23 08:58 AM - Post#359540    
    In response to james

I think there was something funky about that gym, like a weird shooting background or hard rims or something. Scoring was way down in all six games. I'm not convinced we'll have as tough of a time shooting anywhere else. But agreed, if we do we're going to get zoned to death until we figure out how to stop it.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

11-21-23 09:08 AM - Post#359541    
    In response to iogyhufi

But yeah, that implication that Yale might not qualify for the ILT was a stronger cup of coffee than was merited by a close loss to a good team.

james 
Masters Student

11-21-23 07:13 PM - Post#359548    
    In response to iogyhufi

hilarious- i tht he was referring to the ncaa tourney not to be a cocky butt fan.

anything can happen but thats how i read it and wondered who urinated him off.

the background is a good point. i feel like everyone shoots awful down in the bahamas too though i think that is a temporary floor in a banquet room...it does have similar background.

i have never seen matt knowling miss so many open 10-15 footers. the writer implies the opponents are too tall. which, if true, would suggest the competition is better than the IL. but assuming hes healthy i wld expect this to mean revert a bit which is impt bc to the casual eye it appeared the weakness in the matchup zone was in the middle.

fwiw--i assumed it was the ankle affecting his elevation though did see a nice tip dunk from him on sat i think.

anyway forget the 3 balls i hope your point is right on the backdrop or rims. regardless i know which defense will be used to counter the side to side ball and man motion.

james 
Masters Student

11-21-23 07:19 PM - Post#359549    
    In response to james

also, i dont want to jinx him. but i think the guys need to get used to offense flowing through the wolf man.

the issue is i feel like knowling is more comfortable being that guy and backing his guy down.

but wolf is a mismatch on any quasi true big given his size and handle. its damn impressive.

if he adds 3 inches to his vert next 2 yrs look out below. bc layups will be dunks.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.626 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:38 PM