Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Looking Good        (Topic#27638)
Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Reg: 11-29-04
12-08-23 05:28 AM - Post#360300    

... Dingle!

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38939 965

SteveChop 
PhD Student

Reg: 07-28-07
Re: Looking Good
12-08-23 11:49 AM - Post#360311    
    In response to Penndemonium

As talented as Jordan is, I think that we are a better team this year.

palestra38 
Professor

Reg: 11-21-04
12-08-23 11:55 AM - Post#360313    
    In response to SteveChop

I don't think that's because of Jordan being gone, but that Steve is coaching better so far---he won't get a break from me after last year's choke until he shows he can win a meaningful game that comes down to the wire.

Streamers 
Professor
Streamers
Loc: NW Philadelphia
12-08-23 12:22 PM - Post#360318    
    In response to palestra38

Recruiting Perkins and Brown - while putting the ball more in Slajchert's hasn't hurt.

Penn90 
Masters Student
Penn90
Reg: 11-22-04
12-08-23 12:41 PM - Post#360323    
    In response to SteveChop

How are we a better team?

We have one signature victory, two wins against DIII teams, three wins against D1 tomato cans, and at least one embarrassing loss.

We play atrocious defense. Again.

We can't shoot free throws. Again.

If you define "a better team" as one that resembles what SD seeks -- i.e., 4 perimeter guys chucking 3s and a mediocre big man -- than yes, we are better.

Otherwise, we are on track for a typical SD season -- struggle to make the Ivy tourney, followed by failing to make the NCAAs.

Sorry I'm so sarcastic; I've seen this SD team before.

Leges sine moribus vanae

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

12-08-23 01:05 PM - Post#360324    
    In response to Penn90

I think this is the best passing team we've had in a long time. That doesn't inherently make the outcomes better b/c of the Defense and FTs that Penn90 mentioned, but this team uses more of the potential of its individuals than some others IMO. The players seem to know what to do and execute quite well relative to their ability and lighter experience.

PennFan10 
Postdoc

Reg: 02-15-15
12-08-23 02:18 PM - Post#360327    
    In response to Penndemonium

SD had no choice but to run ball screen isolations on almost every possession with Dingle, as that was what he was good at. This year resembles more of a typical SD offense where the ball moves to get open shots. With Dingle, he created open shots. We don’t have that ability. And that will show in the IL games when we face tougher defense that knows our sets. We don’t have an end of the shot clock guy anywhere near Dingle. To be fair, with more ball movement we may not need it.

Defense is definitely as bad or worse.

Penndemonium 
PhD Student

Looking Good
12-08-23 02:48 PM - Post#360328    
    In response to PennFan10

Agreed on the defense, but at least see them trying hard. Some years, I didn't see that as much. We don't have a real rim defender (unless Ubochi starts getting PT). Our defense acts as obstructions, not as vicious attack dogs. Our rebounding fundamentals have improved compared with other years, but we still need more. We don't do a great job clogging our opponent's vision and lanes. I don't see any of our players as terrible defensively, but none have been a huge plus to impact the game.

They should get Paul Chambers to take a visit and show them defensive tenacity. I'd bet he could still show these kids something about how to lockdown a better player. He was the toughest 5'10 guard I can remember.

I smiled reading Jerome Allen's account of Chambers:

"If we were running sprints and the clock was getting to one second and he wasnt at the line, Paul Chambers would dive across the line, said Allen. Wed be exhausted and he always seemed to find that extra umph to push his body through. I complained and thought that I was working hard, until I saw somebody who was truly working hard"

Everyone is working hard, but we don't have anyone who can impose themselves mentally on the game and simply won't allow their opponent function.

Mike Porter 
Postdoc
Mike Porter
Loc: Los Angeles, CA
12-08-23 05:49 PM - Post#360338    
    In response to PennFan10

• PennFan10 Said:
SD had no choice but to run ball screen isolations on almost every possession with Dingle, as that was what he was good at. This year resembles more of a typical SD offense where the ball moves to get open shots. With Dingle, he created open shots. We don’t have that ability. And that will show in the IL games when we face tougher defense that knows our sets. We don’t have an end of the shot clock guy anywhere near Dingle. To be fair, with more ball movement we may not need it.

Defense is definitely as bad or worse.

The defense is worse, significantly so to this point though it is still early. Currently ranked 300 and we haven't even played the toughest opponents yet.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.266 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 02:50 AM