Untitled Document
Brown Columbia Cornell Dartmouth Harvard Penn Princeton Yale

Username Post: Santa Clara        (Topic#27690)
iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Reg: 10-10-17
12-30-23 11:56 AM - Post#360973    

The Bulldogs come off of their Christmas break with a trip to the Bay Area to take on Santa Clara. Yale often struggles in Cali and often struggles in the first game back from the holidays, but hopefully we'll continue to see progress today.

james 
Masters Student

Reg: 03-18-19
12-30-23 10:01 PM - Post#361021    
    In response to iogyhufi

watched 2h. d rebounding and toughness all there.
physical game. work on the foul shots
solid road win

james 
Masters Student

12-31-23 01:33 AM - Post#361033    
    In response to james

i like the bench play. didnt score much. but simmons and molloy gave them good d and toughness

dear america, danny wolf is a problem and has a future in this game...tonight he did it 2 7 footers and some real athletes.
he did get a dunk blocked but love to see the hard take.
and vertical finishing in the paint might be all thats missing at this point in his game. we'll see

ToothlessTiger 
Senior

Reg: 03-28-15
12-31-23 05:49 AM - Post#361034    
    In response to james

Wolf is a beast in the paint with lots of options on the perimeter
Yale playing like the favorites should play.

james 
Masters Student

12-31-23 09:26 AM - Post#361037    
    In response to ToothlessTiger

its odd. wolf actually needs to improve his post up game.

but not sure i have seen a 7' 260 ib college player make his dribble drives from outside the 3 pt area. there is one in the 2h where he crosses him 2x and finishes reverse.

his footwork and handle are a thing of beauty.
his vertical life and post game are pretty weak.

i dont think yale is a favorite at this point. but i do think the d and rebounding are coming along and the bench might be expanding finally.

james 
Masters Student

12-31-23 09:35 AM - Post#361038    
    In response to james

the conundrum is that i think wolf is best defended right now by a smaller quicker guy. kansas did it and slowed him down aftet he took dickinson to school in early part of game.
now they also doubled him in the paint w dickinson.
not many teams have an all world athlete at pf who can get under him and a 7'2 goliath to double with.

but the principle is a good one and my guess is IL teams could do a better job of this than santa clara did bc they are forced.

until danny shows an A+ post game you need a quicker guy to get under him on the perimeter.

the good news from yale is he still made some nice takes when kansas did this.
but it slowed him and the offense down.
against SC we didnt shoot well. the game was physical but the offense appeared to be less stagnant in part due to how they played wolf man up.

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

Santa Clara
12-31-23 11:44 AM - Post#361049    
    In response to james

I was just thinking along these lines. First, agreed that Danny doesn't have a particularly strong post game at the moment. Second, I'm worried that when doubles come in league play - and they will - that Yale doesn't have the shooting right now to punish them. John and August are shooting well enough (39% and 44%), but Yale doesn't have any other non-Danny players shooting over 30% from deep. This is the medicine Yale fed Kansas for so much of that game - double the dominant big off of non-shooters - and it worked like gangbusters until the blue-chip athleticism wore Yale down.

It's already happening to a certain extent. Bez has attempted the second-most threes on the team and has only made 25%. That's a huge problem. (To be clear, Bez can make threes, he's just not doing so at the moment.)

Edited by iogyhufi on 12-31-23 11:46 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

james 
Masters Student

12-31-23 12:07 PM - Post#361050    
    In response to iogyhufi

theoretically knowling has a place here too.

there should be better interior passing for twos also.
matt hasnt shown me much of late. last night he got hacked a few times on drive no calls and did have some foul trouble.

but the help should come from a backside big and they should be able to punish that inside or out

iogyhufi 
Masters Student

12-31-23 12:20 PM - Post#361052    
    In response to james

True. I hope we see last year's Matt Knowling make a reappearance. The sublime finishing touch he had before just hasn't been there recently.

Icon Legend Permissions Topic Options

Quote Post

Quick Reply

Print Topic

Email Topic

Copyright © 2004-2012 Basketball U. Terms of Use for our Site and Privacy Policy are applicable to you. All rights reserved.
Basketball U. and its subsidiaries are not affiliated in any way with any NCAA athletic conference or member institution.
FusionBB™ Version 2.1 | ©2003-2007 InteractivePHP, Inc.
Execution time: 0.794 seconds.   Total Queries: 16   Zlib Compression is on.
All times are (GMT -0500) Eastern. Current time is 09:01 AM